PDA

View Full Version : Hi I'm new around here

phoenix912
13-08-05, 19:07
Hi I'm just amazed to have found this site - was not aware that so many people felt the same as me. With me its motorway driving - I have taken panic about it to an art form - so much so taht I must have driven thousands of miles out of my way over the last few years. I did not used to have this fear - used to drive all over the country. This came out of the blue - reading nicolas story about the time she was on the motorway was like reading about my own experiences. It is really hampering my career as I have to drive a lot and my colleagues think it is really amusing - I have got to the stage were I just laugh along with them because I have got tired of trying to make them see just how horrible a full blown panic attack can be. Beleive it or not I am a health care professional but cant get a handle of this. Was thinking of hypnotherapy - has anyone else tried this??

Caramel
13-08-05, 19:11
Hi Phoenix & a very warm welcome. I only joined a few weeks ago, and this place is fantastic for people like us - you're definitely in the right place! I wanted to try hypnotherapy as well, so let me know if you manage to find out anything.

Take care

Emxx

phoenix912
13-08-05, 19:18
Thanks Em I will let you know. Am researching someone to go to at present. xx

nomorepanic
13-08-05, 19:26
Hi Phoenix

Welcome aboard.

Well that is my story that you read and I still have issues with driving. Mine are now when I am on roads without a hard-shoulder and roadworks and contra-flows are major problems for me.

I used to be like you and hate motorways but now I find them a bit easier cos at least I can pull off and they have a hard shoulder.

When I lived in Sheffield and had to drive to my mum's in Surrey I had to drive down the M1.

I coped with this by taking it one junction at a time. I would tell myself that I could pull off the motorway at the next junction and I would be fine. Then I would get to that junction and think "ok I will try another junction". Then before I knew it I was more than half way to Surrey so it was just as bad to go forward as back so I carried on.

Coping techniques - adding up the numbers on car reg plates, making funny phrases from the letters in car registrations, singing loudly, plan something that involves thinking - e.g. a holiday, a party, a night out. They all helped.

I am thinking of trying Hypnotherapy again for this cos it did help me before. See this page ..... www.nomorepanic.co.uk/hypnotherapy

Read my experiences with it.

I am not sure how I now cure my problems with driving. I am not avoiding it but I hate it and it does not get any easy. I am trying to change my thoughts but that is so hard when you hit roadworks and think "oh s**t".

So, I can understand what it is like and I will offer you the best advice I can with it if that helps?

Good to have you on board.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Piglet
13-08-05, 19:47
Hi there

I expect as you keep reading there will be lots of 'oh thats me' and 'ooh I know's'. When I first found the site I felt the same.

I always knew lots of people suffered, as friends and aquaintances have been kind enough to tell me of their brushes with it when I first started feeling like it.

It also doesnt surprise me that you are a health professional as that can be a very stressful occupation.

A really big welcome to you and I hope you find the site as useful as I do.

Love Piglet[8D]

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Meg
13-08-05, 20:55
First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Lets try to keep our thoughts in perspective (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=283)
Mind Games (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1789)

Hi new member mom w/ panic and dp/dr (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1239)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

herblueness
13-08-05, 21:25
Hey I have that problem too.. There are just too many things to count with me but they all seem to be related. I never knew so many people were like this!!

sueiamnew
13-08-05, 21:33
Welcome to the site Phoenix!!

I too hate driving somewhat, reading Nicola's story will surely help.

Karen
13-08-05, 22:29
Hi Phoenix

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

seh1980
13-08-05, 22:40
Welcome aboard!! :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

pinkscrumpy
14-08-05, 21:44
welcome to the site Phoenix

:D:D

MANDIE XX

pips
15-08-05, 15:29
Hi Phoenix,

A BIG warm welcome to the site I do hope it helps you.

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X