PDA

View Full Version : Skin cancer worries..still. :( Some answers please

Wee-Mee
12-04-09, 14:03
I keep seeing more moles appearing that weren't there.

Does this happen with skin cancer? I am NOT googling. I mean it!

But I am obsessed now with blemishes and stuff on my skin.

I have 4 that are bothering me particularly. But I have noticed another one on my leg and it's uneven looking.

The one on my thigh that looks like a flame shape according to the doctor has went darker again. I'm sure of it.

One on my arm too. I showed him them ones a few days ago at doc and he said that he thought they looked ok but the one on my leg that was flame shaped,he would,for my reassurance,refer me to a dermatologist but not cos he thought anything wrong but I remember googling mole and freckles pics when I was freaked a few days ago and they all look like this skin cancer melanoma stuff. :'(

I keep looking at them. And worrying.

Do people just get moles and freckles that can be odd shaped but not cancer?

I don't have a psychologist appointment til Thursday but I can feel myself getting freaked out again.

And it's worse cos it has been sunny and it's causing me to go about all wrapped up cos I'm scared I expose the moles and things to sun rays! I'm that crazy! :lac: :scared15:

Please help.. I;m actually getting to the point that I want to CUT them off. :'(

sahara
12-04-09, 14:31
I have an odd shaped one and I don't think it is cancer. I do watch it very carefully.

Moles do change can change and will change over time. Hormones can do this. As I understand it it is dramatic growth you have to wrry about, itching and bleeding.

You also get new moles over time. I have had more appear, and even ones that have shrunk.

I try very hard not to wrry about my moles, and I tend to take the line as long as the changes aren't rapid and they don't itch and bleed they will be OK. But I do get my Dr to check them when I am worried.

xxx

Wee-Mee
12-04-09, 14:49
I think I will need to go back. :( I'm awful.

It's smear test results and the moles that are freaking me out.

I was only there a few days ago aswell.

I feel a nuiscance :(

See I remember the one on my leg itching a while back but back then I didn't think anything of it.

Now I feel I'm putting two and two together and stuff :'(

eurotrashcub
12-04-09, 15:18
Any moles should be checked by a doctor if they have the following features:

* Asymmetrical skin lesion.
* Border of the lesion is irregular.
* Color: melanomas usually have multiple colors.
* Diameter: moles greater than 6 mm are more likely to be melanomas than smaller moles.

Also if they bleed or itch or grow or are new and look abnormal(as above). Melanoma is easy to diagnose and as long as you get new suspicious lesions checked quickly it is treatable

Other skin cancers are really treatable and non life threatening unless you leave them for months and months

I would not worry about moles unless they truly look like if the are growing and if the have the features above.

Next time you see your dr, show them to him/her or to your practise nurse

Ric

sahara
12-04-09, 15:30
I have a mole that fits what you describe, but it hasn't changed ever since I can remember. I am not worrying about it.

I may get the Dr to look at it just to be sure.

Aaawww I know your worries re the smear test.

I am always worried about mine. Still waiting!

Sarah

Wee-Mee
12-04-09, 16:17
My moles have all of them :'(

I am so worried now.

They are melanoma I'm sure of it :'(

mumof4
12-04-09, 16:38
hi

dont panic my mum died of skin cancer 5 years ago she was 50 and belive me u would know she had a mole that was huge leaked puss and kept bleeding it also grew and grew

trust me you would know if u did have

my oh has moles they change he went to the docs only to be told he is fine.

Wee-Mee
12-04-09, 16:48
I remember one going itchy and crusty and that was the one on my leg then it went back to normal ie not itchy or anything but that is the one on ny leg that the doc wants to check as it is a flame shape. I noticed another one on my lower leg too and it's a strange shap but is lighter :'(

I have one on my shoulder blade too and I keep seeing tem everywhere and I'm scared again.Oh so scared and I'm on here to stop myself going crazy to be honest. I think im gonna need to go backt od cs AGAIN :'( they think im crazy

sahara
12-04-09, 17:01
Please please don't panic, I honestly think that yes get them checked out, I am going to get mine checked as it is not symmetrical and is darker in places, but I think there would be other symptoms with it. Cancer is a growth - if they aren't growing then don't worry in the mean time.

I remember I had an ithcy dry patch on my skin once and I was worried it was cancer and the Dr said it would be ulcerated if it was. Listen to how Taylor described her Mums mole

(Taylor I am sorry to hear you lost your Mum to cancer - my Mum died of Lung cancer so hugs to you xxx)

I am sure the things that are described are moles to to look out for and watch closely and get your Dr to check. Doesn't necissarily mean they are cancer.

My Mums friend had skin cancer from a mole that was growing and she had it cut it and is alive 20 yrs later.

So you are doing the right thing. You are getting them checked early. I am sure you will be fine
:yesyes:

Wee-Mee
12-04-09, 18:02
I'm so sorry to hear about your mums petals. That is awful. :hugs:

I have this INSANE fear of cancer. I do. I really do. And it got a bit better but then after Jade goody and my friend's friend got cancer it has spiralled out of control.

Thanks for the support. I just dunno what to do with myelf. I keep prodding about it at myself xxx

mumof4
12-04-09, 18:10
im the same wee wee and i worry yet i havent had a smear test in 13 years cause im to scared daft i know

sahara
12-04-09, 18:11
aaawww hun please don't worry I understand totally. Cancer is a scarey thing and I am terrified of it too.

I think anyone who wasn't scared of it is a very rare person - its just we or people like us with HA let it get out of control.

Its easy to do so - try and find something that can take your mind off it and you may find the anxiety reduces somewhat.

I felt mine increase when I thought about my mole after replying here and I am just trying to do other things and it has subsided. Even something like washing up I find quite theraputic lol

:bighug1:

Wee-Mee
12-04-09, 18:22
It is really amazing how something you see or hear can trigger you into a worrying wreck.

It was a thread on here somewhere about moles that set me off..I shouldnt have read it cos I knew what would happen but I wanted to offer spport and I am now here..worrying and obsessing like crazy.

Friday was a really good day for me. I just felt really good.I dont know why. I managed to get the strenght to sort some clothes and washng and tidy my room and for some reason today..It's all came back

sahara
12-04-09, 18:32
Aaa see u were better on Friday because you nade yourself do something.

Today you are bad because you are letting your anxiety win and take over. Trust me I am 31 and I have had about 14 years experience lol

I am learning slowly that the busier you keep yourself the better it can be, you will get bad days everyone does. Keep trying and the good days will come more often :)

hey Taylor u sound like me I didn't have my 1st smear until I was 28 after my DD was born, but please go and get one done. It will get rid of all that worry you are carrying around its not test for cancer but to prevent cancer

xxx

eurotrashcub
12-04-09, 18:56
Oh I wish I had not posted!!!

This is not just little imperfection but serious lesions that just look wrong.

Just have your GP look at them next time you go and accept the diagnosis!

If they think they are ok, it means they are ok.

In any case, as I said, non melanoma cancers are curable 100% of the times when caught at a stage where they havent spread to another organ (which youw ould normally notice) and melanomas are highly treatable as long as caught early. The treatment, just simply cutting them off, it is not like a huge operation, it is done under local anaestetic!

I knwo it is easy for me to say but: STOP IT AND CHILL OUT

The ones on the right are normal, the ones on the left are melanoma:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Melanoma_vs_normal_mole_ABCD_rule_NCI_Visuals _Online.jpg

Now have a checka nd realis ethere is nothing wrong!

Ricard

eurotrashcub
12-04-09, 18:58
oh and i just seen you are 22. God you are far too young for wqorrying about melanoma!

Wee-Mee
12-04-09, 19:13
Mines look like the ones on the left I'm afraid. I'm more freaked. I shouldn't have looked at the pictures :(

Wee-Mee
12-04-09, 19:15
In particular the last one. I'm going to go now. I feel a nuisance on here now :(

Wee-Mee
13-04-09, 15:38
I've noticed another one on the inside of my right arm..tiny and odd shaped.

Docs it is tomorrow. Tryingt o get on with it but it is there..all of this in the back of my head..

Gah.

I am positive there is something up.

:'( I wish I could just accept an answer and that is it. I get reassuracne from the docotor and feel good then my head goes haywire again.

sahara
13-04-09, 16:04
Aaawww Wee-Mee - they can't all be bad :hugs:

Not long to go until you can see the DR so keep your chin up

xxxx

Wee-Mee
13-04-09, 17:12
I'm so worried. I'll go crazy if I have skin cancer.
I really will.
I just keep getting little brown marks all over me that weren't there.
What am I gonna do?
:'(
This is driving me crazy. If I didn't have this worry of moles and things I think I would be alright!

For a while.

I dunno. Thanks sahara. :hugs: My bf has alot of moles too. He has quite large one on his neck and one on his shoulder and he just doesn't bother. He's cool about it and here I am with moles that are not raised per se but I don't know..they just look odd and the one in the inside of my arm is TINY but it looks like someone scribbled a little wiggly line on my arm with a tanbrown pen.

I'm going mad.I am!

Spiller
13-04-09, 17:27
They may have been already there, you just didn't notice hun. Could have been there since you was born! Since looking, i have found so many 'new' moles. I even get worried about spots. :(

Hope your ok xx

Wee-Mee
13-04-09, 18:52
Thanks hun.

I just sat and had a bath and it took me AGES because I literally just steeped in my own filth for donks looking and prodding and feeling at myself

Eek the last part sounded dirty. I wish it had been lol.

But seriously. I am so worried.
I just keep fidning things and my left arm is sore where one of my moles is and I'm hoping it is just anxiety but I don't know.

I'm gonna need to talk to a doc again. Just worried they think I'm crazy. They all look st me like "NOT YOU AGAIN"

XXXXXX

mummyto4
13-04-09, 19:29
Weemee, you DO NOT have skin cancer! I understand your anxiety, I really do but you need to understand, you would KNOW that something was wrong IF there was anything, I KNOW. Even IF you did have something like this it is treatable chic. Please, Please, Please stop worrying yourself sick and enjoy your life, your only young! go out, have some fun, have a drink, have a laugh, keep yourself busy and try and stop worrying. Be aware of your health, yes but don't try and fix something that isn't broken. This damn anxiety is such a pest, I know. Believe what people are saying to you that it isn't skin cancer. :)

Lin71
13-04-09, 20:08
Hi Wee Mee

I agree with the pp who said you've prob had these marks all along but not noticed, try not to worry, what you are describing does not sound like skin cancer.

A few months ago I had a mole on my back which suddenly changed over a few weeks, very quicky, it went from "normal looking", to changing into 2 different colours & getting a wavy outline. Of course it had to be skin cancer- what else could it be???!!! All classic "danger" symptoms, but even that turned out to be nothing- the doc said I was right to go in, but the dermatologist didn't even remove it, he looked at it under a microscope & decided it was going through "normal" changes. Not saying anyone should ignore changes like this, but just pointing out that the outcome can be....nothing!
I know how you feel but sure you'll be fine, take care.

Lin x

eurotrashcub
14-04-09, 11:04
Have you seen the age of the skin of the people with those lesions? I have brown marks all over my body as well, but there ios a difference between skin marks and growths.

Also you do not get them everywhere, you get one that is cancerous and no more.

I think I am making it worse by giving you more information and I will stop now.

Just go and see your GP/Nurse, they will tell you they are fine.

Accept it and try not to focus on it. In three months time you will be laughing about this(anjd probably worying about something else) we all do that

I am sorry I have just made you worse.

Let this be a lesson to me. Trying to reason when we are in an irrational frame of mind is hard work.

I promise you, you will be fine. I feel responsible now.

Have you seend your GP?

scooby28
17-04-09, 15:35
If you are worried go to your gp and he can reffer you to a dermatologist to look at them properly.
I did this with a mole i was only slightly worried about it was quite dark but as it was on my back i couldn't really see it, it didn't hurt or itch or wasn't sore or bleed in any way. Any way I had it checked and it was melanoma cancer, luckily it hadn't spread not sure if it would have if i had just left it.
If you are worrried ask your doctor to reffer you to someone who knows what they are looking at.

HopeandSpirit
17-04-09, 17:32
Hi There

I have literally just registered on the forum for the first time. I am desperate for advice about my anxiety and couldn't wait to ask for help. But then I read your post and I had to reply to you first. You have literally described the four weeks I have just had. I am convinced I have skin cancer. I check constantly and still find new moles that look suspicious and dangerous. I have paid to go to a private clinic to have them checked twice now in one month and they say they are fine but then I see a "suspicious" one and wonder if they missed that one when they did my full body mole check. I google skin cancer all the time. I was a ridiculous sunbed user for years and have travelled loads and never wore sun screen in hot countries. Because of this I think I am doomed!! I know exactly what you are feeling and want you to know you are not alone. You really not. Whatever you are feeling right now - I can guarantee I am feeling it too! We can get past this!