PDA

View Full Version : come off citalopram and getting 'head zaps'

mini_mog
12-04-09, 14:37
hello, was hoping someone would be able to help with this.

im 14 weeks pregnant and felt ready and brave enough to come off citalopram 10mg last week (after seeking doctor's advice).

im now getting these 'head zaps' and they are pretty unpleasant. does anyone have any idea how long to expect these to last for? its a really odd feeling and i have to say, pretty nasty!

ta in advance:winks:

alias_kev
12-04-09, 15:04
The manufacturer documentation at http://emc.medicines.org.uk/medicine/1070/SPC/Cipramil+Tablets/
and http://emc.medicines.org.uk/medicine/5197/XPIL/Cipramil+Tablets/

Says the following:

Withdrawal symptoms seen on discontinuation of citalopram
Abrupt discontinuation should be avoided. When stopping treatment with citalopram the dose should be gradually reduced over a period of at least one to two weeks in order to reduce the risk of withdrawal reactions (see section 4.4 Special Warnings and Special Precautions for Use and section 4.8 Undesirable Effects). If intolerable symptoms occur following a decrease in the dose or upon discontinuation of treatment, then resuming the previously prescribed dose may be considered. Subsequently, the physician may continue decreasing the dose, but at a more gradual rate.
Withdrawal symptoms seen on discontinuation of SSRI treatment Withdrawal symptoms when treatment is discontinued are common, particularly if discontinuation is abrupt (see section 4.8 Undesirable effects). In clinical trials adverse events seen on treatment discontinuation occurred in approximately 40% of patients treated with citalopram.The risk of withdrawal symptoms may be dependent on several factors including the duration and dose of therapy and the rate of dose reduction. Dizziness, sensory disturbances (including paraesthesia), sleep disturbances (including insomnia and intense dreams), agitation or anxiety, nausea and/or vomiting, tremor and headache are the most commonly reported reactions. Generally these symptoms are mild to moderate, however, in some patients they may be severe in intensity. They usually occur within the first few days of discontinuing treatment, but there have been very rare reports of such symptoms in patients who have inadvertently missed a dose. Generally these symptoms are self-limiting and usually resolve within 2 weeks, though in some individuals they may be prolonged (2-3 months or more). It is therefore advised that citalopram should be gradually tapered when discontinuing treatment over a period of several weeks or months, according to the patient's needs (see “Withdrawal symptoms seen on discontinuation of citalopram”, Section 4.2 Posology and Method of Administration).
Withdrawal reactions have been reported in association with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), including Cipramil. Common symptoms include dizziness, paraesthesia, headache, anxiety and nausea. Abrupt discontinuation of treatment with Cipramil should be avoided. The majority of symptoms experienced on withdrawal of SSRIs are non-serious and self-limiting.
Withdrawal symptoms seen on discontinuation of SSRI treatment
Discontinuation of citalopram (particularly when abrupt) commonly leads to withdrawal symptoms. Dizziness, sensory disturbances (including paraesthesia), sleep disturbances (including insomnia and intense dreams), agitation or anxiety, nausea and/or vomiting, tremor and headache are the most commonly reported reactions. Generally these events are mild to moderate and are self-limiting, however, in some patients they may be severe and/or prolonged. It is therefore advised that when citalopram treatment is no longer required, gradual discontinuation by dose tapering should be carried out (see section 4.2 Posology and Method of Administration and section 4.4 Special Warnings and Special Precautions for use).
As you've come off it quite quickly (I think) you may suffer a bit more than some. I can understand why pregnancy would make you and maybe even your GP keen to reduce your meds, but crashing off it is pretty fierce. It might have been better to taper the dose over a week or two. Good luck with this.

mini_mog
12-04-09, 19:24
thank you for that, at least the symptoms should ease in time, i asked my doctor about coming off gradually and he basically said there was no need as i have only been on them a relatively short length of time (6 months) and on a small dose. i was a bit sceptical but decided to trust him:wacko: i guess im just going to have to ride it out but i think with pregnancy its a case of them wanting you off the meds as soon as possible when you feel ready.

i do feel as though in hindsight id have been better weaning myself off gradually rather than stopping completely. i dont think i feel anxious though, which is the main thing.