PDA

View Full Version : What on earth am I doing?? (holiday tmw)

steveo
13-04-09, 22:24
Hello everyone! Thought this would be a great way to get things off my chest and let you all know how silly I am!

Going on holiday tomorrow with alot of friends. Im driving to Bruges in Belgium and then to a 2 day music festival there. Been twice before, both times experiencing awful awful panic attacks. Wasn't able to go last year due to a drop in my mental health but as so many of my mates are going this year, it was very hard to say no. I will be driving my car with a lot of my friends and we are staying at a hostel in bruges for one night then off to the festival. All very very scary stuff to me! The worst part is when im in my tent at night in the festival.... I remember the extreme fear I had the last two times! I always take my own tent for just me! The first time I went I had to get really really drunk to get rid of my anxiety! This is such a massive thing for me to be doing. I can't watch most of the bands at the festival anyway due to the large ammount of people crammed into the outside stage areas. I haven't spent too much time worrying about it until now (the night before!!).
I bought a book about Panic attacks to take, also lots of little puzzle books. I spend alot of my time taking pictures so it keeps my mind occupied.
Camping in the middle of Belgium, at a busy festival, whilst probably very very underslept, very very hot = Garuenteed Panics!
Sorry this message was so long, Thanks to anyone who took the time to read and thanks in advance to anyone who replies! Can I take one of you guys with me? lol.
xxxxx Steve-O!

Anxious_gal
13-04-09, 22:44
oh my god wow GOOD for you! seriously! your going even though you know you may panic!
sorry i have no advice I hate crowds!
got any meds you could take? not with alcohol of course,

steveo
13-04-09, 23:05
I am on Cipralex 10mg. I have been on them for about 5 years now. I really really really could do with something like Diazapam for the night times when I am in my tent!!!! Too late to get some from Docs now! Its going to be very very scary!

deeernest18
13-04-09, 23:11
I think you are an extremly brave person! I recently went skiiing with my college and i am a gold level skier, its the type of enviroment that i thrive in buttire trip was ruined by my anxiety of dying and my irrational fear. The only way i got over it was to get very drunk every night which in turn made me feel worse the next day and made my anxiety about my health even worse. Well done for fighting your fear, i hope i will be able to do the same soon.

steveo
14-04-09, 10:57
I am worried that I am going to take the drunk approach to it all. I will try my very very best to do it without booze!

PoppyC
14-04-09, 11:06
Hi :)
I personally would not recommend drinking to overcome anxiety - it makes anxiety peak a day or so after and surely especially as a nurse you should know that mixing anti anxiety anti depressant medications with alcohol is not the best thing to do! Do you mix the two? :ohmy:
Could you not get an appt today to get in to see your gp?
Apart from all the usual self help techniques including distraction which is easy to do at a festival I am not sure what else there is.:shrug: apart from having so much fun you totally forget dull old anxiety!
I hope you have a good time :)

steveo
14-04-09, 21:40
first stage done. drove from cardiff to reading to stay overnight at a friends house. feeling nervous. have to be up very early tmw to get the ferry (05:00am)! lack of sleep does me no good! what am i doing?? x

steveo
15-04-09, 20:44
Holiday Update - In Bruges in Belguim right now - Very tempted to go back home. Feeling 100% terrible. Never felt this bad in my life. Got a lot more days left! Helppp!

honeybee3939
15-04-09, 20:56
Steveo

You got there in one peice you managed to cope on the journey there and you didnt let the anxiety win, so WELL DONE!!:yesyes:

Now you go enjoy yourself and dont let that anxiety win(dont forget its all in your mind!) You can do it hun !! tell the anxiety to sod off ! Remember that no matter how bad you feel the anxiey CAN NOT hurt you.

When you get home you will be so pleased that you achieved something so big!

Sending you lots of positive vibes hun !

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

steveo
15-04-09, 21:58
I seriously cant tell you how thankful I am of all of your messages and this forum! This gives me a great way to vent my problems and I feel better just typing to be honest. I am currently in a backpackers hostel in Bruges and I have given in to beer, but only a few. All of my friends have left the hostel to to find a club but I told them I was staying here solo so I have 30mins on the internet and a small beer. Feeling ok right now. I am super nervous about the music festival tomorrow! Thousands of people and me in my small tent. No internet access in a field either or mobile phone network coverage!
Seriously though.... all your messages and this forum helps me so so much! I cant tell anyone about this but you lot.
I am doing this all for you!!!
xxxxxx