PDA

View Full Version : Constant worrys and panic about my health and I am only just 18

deeernest18
13-04-09, 22:57
For a while now i have been increasingly worried about my health. Everyday i check certain parts of my body whether it be my throat, breathing etc and i constantly feel for my pulse to check my heart rate is ok and after doing so i feel better for at most 2 minutes. The last time I was extremely worried about my health was a pain in the right side of my chest I convinced myself that it was lung cancer and had intense anxiety and panic attacks as a result. I kept going to the doctors and was told time after time that i was fine, then it got to the point where they sent me for an X-ray and an ECG, and after i saw that everything was fine i felt much better and the pain went away.

At the moment i feel imense anxiety and i am trying to controll it. I havent gone to my GP about it but im not sure if i should. to be honest i dont know what to do i feel very alone.

I have only just turned 18 and everyday i feel so much dread about dying not from my own fear of dying but the worry of what that would put my family and friends through. I feel that my fear and anxiety is a result of my friend dying on the christmas eve of 2007 aged just 17 and i have blamed my self for his death since.

I just need help, but im too proud and consious to ask.

What should I do?

Alexy
13-04-09, 23:11
Heya, Firstly i don't think you should even think about blaming yourself for your friends death, thats definately not what they would have wanted. As for being too proud to ask for help, you need to get over this, because the sooner you treat your anxiety, the better, it'll just become even deeper rooted if you leave it, perhaps you need help to grieve over your friend?

And as for being terrified of death, im EXACTLY the same, im 17, and im currently trying to put off going to bed, because im so so scared of something happening to me in my sleep:S

deeernest18
13-04-09, 23:18
Hey! Thats exactly what i tell myself! I think I will book an appointment tomorrow to see my GP. It is about time I sorted myself out. Your right the longer i leave it the worse it will get. thanks.

have you tried doing some light exercise? such as push ups, sit ups etc. When i feel overwhelmed by fear or anxiety i do some. It really helps because it channels your mind away from the fear and after you feel so much better within yourself. It is a short term cure but it helps.

Alexy
13-04-09, 23:21
Yeah, iv just started seeing a counciller for help with anxiety, had to wait a while for the appointment though:S so try get it sorted as soon as possible:)

Yeah, i think ill do a few situps before bed, nighttimes are my worst, seriously, i just can't help but think the worst about everything:( Are there any times when you feel worst?

deeernest18
14-04-09, 00:49
times where i feel the worse? to be honest it could be anytime but when im on my own it is terrible! well if i think about it night times are my worst! i think because i have time to think, would you say thats why you are worse at night?

Mint_Imperial
14-04-09, 03:06
For a while now i have been increasingly worried about my health. Everyday i check certain parts of my body whether it be my throat, breathing etc and i constantly feel for my pulse to check my heart rate is ok and after doing so i feel better for at most 2 minutes. The last time I was extremely worried about my health was a pain in the right side of my chest I convinced myself that it was lung cancer and had intense anxiety and panic attacks as a result. I kept going to the doctors and was told time after time that i was fine, then it got to the point where they sent me for an X-ray and an ECG, and after i saw that everything was fine i felt much better and the pain went away.

At the moment i feel imense anxiety and i am trying to controll it. I havent gone to my GP about it but im not sure if i should. to be honest i dont know what to do i feel very alone.

I have only just turned 18 and everyday i feel so much dread about dying not from my own fear of dying but the worry of what that would put my family and friends through. I feel that my fear and anxiety is a result of my friend dying on the christmas eve of 2007 aged just 17 and i have blamed my self for his death since.

I just need help, but im too proud and consious to ask.

What should I do?

I think since posting this you've said you've decided to see your GP, and its the right thing to do.

Im 20 and I've suffered from things very similar to what you've posted (and had the ECG etc) but you need to tackle the underlying problem anxiety otherwise you'll end up having the NHS's A-Z of tests, they'll find nothing and you wont have solved the problem.

By the way, I saw you mentioned about doing some exercise, have you considered joining a gym? (if you havn't already). On the advice of a friend I started going a few times a week and it took my mind off things, I got healthy, and I felt a whole load better [not to mention the rather attractive ladies ;)]

Alexy
14-04-09, 23:38
Yeah, nighttimes, cos once again im on here..dreading bedtime:S Im so tired though, which means il feel crap tomorrow and worry some more..such a vicious circle:S

Sambapati85
15-04-09, 01:41
Man ... i sympathize with your situation and hope you ca be free of the pain that health anxiety brings. I honestly question if i will evr be normal again i am only 24 and i eel a if i am 80 years old. constantly aalyzing and checking to make sure i am ok.. what a way to live at such a young age. I would also agree with you come night time when i am alone i need to distract myself from the lighthadedness or else i get the fear that i am dying . Distraction works the best for me... but it is still really hard. I am sue that no matter what you will find happiness and relaxation again.. it just takes time and adaptation.