PDA

View Full Version : feeling like u canny breath.

tina2004
28-12-03, 20:27
does anyone get a feeling like u canny breath correct,i dont get breathless like gassping but a feeling like u r breathless and cant get a deep anuf breath in,i used to be like this but it went but its back now and its blidy scary,it happens when im feeling ok.does anyone else get this,i also started propanolol 10mg 2x a day a few days ago but i dont think it them cause i was on them for about a year then stopped for 2 months and ive now started again.

benoo5
28-12-03, 20:41
hi tina,

its unlikely that its caused by propronol,as these dont normally have side effects,unless your asthmatic,in which case your dr wouldnt have prescribed them......if you read other peoples posts,you will see,wot your having is quite normal,with anxiety..hope this helps..bryan.

Meg
28-12-03, 21:12
Tina,

When you're anxious, your lungs expand in order to allow you to run faster etc so it feels harder to breathe . You're right - it is - as the lungs are needing more air to fill the bigger space ..

It's not an issue , just go with it.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Laurie28
29-12-03, 11:46
Hiya Tina,

I was forever checking to see if i could take a deep breath (still do sometimes!) and I would panic when i couldn't. This is perfectly normal as you can't take a deep breath every time you try. (unless you have trained)
As you relax this symptom does become less frequent - it is a horrible feeling

Love
Lucky

nomorepanic
29-12-03, 22:02
Hi Tina

Yeah I get this and use my asthma inhaler more - even though it is not an asthma type wheeziness.

I sometimes walk up the stairs and cant get my breathe but I am quite fit so I know it is just the anxiety tricking me!

Nicola

Vicky
03-01-04, 16:53
I sometimes feel like there is something gripping my lungs and not letting the air in. I feel like I have to force every breath. I know its anxiety, because it happens at times when I am dreading something.

I try to do some breathing excercises which help a little, but the best thing is just to try and ignore it, and gradually it goes away without me noticing.

Rennie1989
03-01-04, 17:18
I now how ya feel vicky. when i had an attack i could not breath. it felt as though the amout of oxygen in the room was running out.

Iv never done any exercise for my breathing. how do ya do it.

Jade

Vicky
03-01-04, 20:59
Hi Jade,

I'm new here, so I don't know my way round too well yet, but I would think there's some stuff written out on how to do breathing techniques. Try a search on them and see what comes up.

I found it really hard to do it right, and when I first did them, I would try too hard, and get myself more wound up! What you need to do is be really relaxed about it, take your time over it. Practise til you get it. it won't be perfect first time you try.

You need to make sure you breathe with your diaphragm. When I get tense, I breathe out of my chest. Put a hand on your tummy and a hand on your chest. When you breathe, look at which one moves most. If your hand on your tummy moves most that is correct, and you are breathing from the diaphragm.

I breathe in, counting steadily to 4, wait one, breathe out, counting 4.

Also, put some really nice relaxing music on, and save that for when you do your breathing excercises. That way, you can assosiate the music with feeling relaxed, so it will help you get relaxed when you hear it.

Vicky

nomorepanic
03-01-04, 23:38
Also look at the website

www.nomorepanic.co.uk/coping.htm

Nicola

Hears The Water
06-01-04, 20:37
I had this start for me just about three months ago. I had a cold (I am phobic about getting sick) and I was freaking out. I felt like I was breathing but no air was goind in, and there was a knot in my diaphram. I also felt like there was not enough oxygen in the room. I had to sit still and sit with air blowing on me. A fan, or the air conditioner (it was still warm here in Oct.) I still have it from time to time and I too, have to relax and breathe deeply. It is scary!!! Again, it is so good to see here that others have things like me. I don't feel so alone.
God Bless you and yours
Hears The Water