PDA

View Full Version : CAN SELF HELP BOOKS "HELP"????

FRANKIEISBACK
14-08-05, 13:49
I know there are loads of heal thyself sort of books around, I have been told I am suffering from a mix of depression, anxiety and have some obsessive symptoms, can anyone suggest some book titles and is it really necessary to go into long term therapy?

nomorepanic
14-08-05, 14:00
Frankie

I am about to update the Reading page on the website with some recommendations from Meg so will let you know when it is done (later today).

You don't have to go into therapy but it really does help.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Meg
14-08-05, 14:09
Its easier with therapy but can be done alone from books.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Piglet
14-08-05, 14:26
Hi frankie

It will be good to look on the reading page when its up and running and I tell you which book will deffo be on there and that's the one by Claire Weekes.

Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

nomorepanic
14-08-05, 17:32
Ok new books added now.....

www.nomorepanic.co.uk/reading

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

FRANKIEISBACK
14-08-05, 17:48
Thanks

mico
14-08-05, 18:31
Hi Frankie

The books will by no means cure you, but they are there to guide you, it's up to you to do alll the work.

Having said that, they can be great for motivation, In that respect, just the means of reading them does help you a great deal.

The other thing that they offer, is a wealth of knowledge, a knowledge of yourself, your own body, and mind.

As Meg says, therapy is the best option, but i do believe that educating yourself is a great tool, as the saying goes, know thy enemy.

I would also, like Piglet, recommend Claire Weekes's books, she's got a very good knowledge of anxiety. Another I would recommend for motivation, is Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway by Susan Jeffers.

mico

Meg
14-08-05, 18:51
Both those excellent books are on the sites referral page.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

FRANKIEISBACK
14-08-05, 20:12
Thank you all, I will have a read, the claire weekes book has been suggested by my friend who went through severe anxiety