PDA

View Full Version : BBC article

janej
14-04-09, 11:35
UK society 'increasingly fearful'

Many people think the world is more frightening than it once was

A charity is calling for a nationwide campaign to protect the UK's mental health after a survey suggested people were growing ever more anxious.

The poll of 2,000 adults for the Mental Health Foundation found 77% found the world more frightening than in 1999.

The charity described a "culture of fear" in which the media and politicians fuelled a sense of unease.

But one sociologist said the campaign risked becoming a "self-fulfilling prophecy" making people more anxious.

The report, In the Face of Fear, found more than a third of people say they get frightened or anxious more often than they used to, while 77% thought the world had become a scarier place.

While the economic climate was seen as part of the reason for the increased levels of fear, the charity said it believed there were other factors at play.

The report said "worst-case-scenario language" sometimes used by politicians, pressure groups, businesses and public bodies around issues such as knife-crime, MRSA, bird-flu and terrorism can have a detrimental effect on people's wellbeing.

Variations

Meanwhile it said devices to reassure people such as CCTV "can actually make people feel more fearful, sensing that high security suggests risk. Fear of crime continues to rise even though crime rates have fallen in the last decade".

The survey found variations - geographical as well as generational - among the 2,000 adults polled.
The modern world will test our resilience again and again and people need to know how to process their emotions better to prevent harm to their mental and physical health
Dr Andrew McCulloch
Mental Health Foundation

Londoners were nearly twice as likely to feel anxious "a lot of the time" than those elsewhere in the country.

Younger people also consistently reported greater fear than older people, while women were more than twice as likely to report experiencing anxiety than men.

The report also drew on research by the Office of National Statistics which suggested that those diagnosed with anxiety-related disorders tended to be single, divorced or separated and earning less money.

These apparently increasing levels of fear needed to be addressed, the foundation argued, as those who suffer from anxiety were much more likely to experience other problems such as heart disease, gastrointestinal troubles, asthma and allergies.

"The modern world will test our resilience again and again and people need to know how to process their emotions better to prevent harm to their mental and physical health," said Mental Health Foundation chief executive Dr Andrew McCulloch.

"A mental health promotion campaign that shows individuals how to look after their own mental health would be of immense public benefit, and help prevent common mental health problems like anxiety and depression."

Free leaflets

As well as a mental heath promotion strategy, the charity wants the government to stop "unnecessarily using the language of fear".

I get the occasional bout of anxiety but you just have to plough on as best as you can
Andrew Lye, Pembrokeshire
Send us your comments
HAVE YOUR SAY I get the occasional bout of anxiety but you just have to plough on as best as you can
Andrew Lye, Pembrokeshire
Send us your comments

It wants treatments such as cognitive behavioural therapy to be more readily available, and the free provision of self-help book and leaflets.

Parenting programmes could help parents learn how to raise children who have a "proportionate relationship" with fear, it says.

But Kent University sociologist Frank Furedi said "the last thing people need is parenting classes".

"There is a sense that people are more afraid, but such campaigns become self-fulfilling prophecies," he said.

"Their bottom line is always that people are not coping and that becomes the message that people take away - they lose faith in themselves.

"But we do need more of a robust communal infrastructure so that people don't feel so alone, as the report highlights," he added.

"And ironically it may be the current common threat of economic meltdown which in fact brings us together

From the BBC today...not sure if this helps, although i do feel my anxiety has deffinatly got alot worse..probs since 2000 :( Started of with the big things going wrong around the world and now just the slightest thing sets me of. Anyway it might be useful to a few of you..hence me posting it :)

Danny_dingle
14-04-09, 11:45
Hey Jane,

What an interesting post, thanks for putting it up!

It is about time this was addressed; scaremongering might sell papers but it is irresponsible of the media to make us feel bad just to get money in their pockets. I for one know that all the hype around the second gulf war stopped me sleeping and I blame the media for all the 'worst case scenario' language they were using with that. I was convinced we were all going to die, and it never happened did it?

I appreciate that the world is not all rainbows and lollipops and we, as people, have a right to know what is going on with our country, however we do not need everything making ten times worse than it already is.

I do believe though that the last statement has a very good point; economical meltdown might, in a warped sort of way, bring people back together and bring back some good old fashioned values that this world is so sadly lacking.

Thank you, yes that post has helped me massively Jane, take care hun!

Danny

Lencoboy
30-06-23, 11:03
I know this thread was actually started years ago (2009) but I still remember this particular article on the BBC site from back then as if it was only yesterday, plus it really struck a chord with me at the time.

A lot of the anxiety-provoking issues covered in said article still remain as relevant right now in 2023 as they did back then in 2009 (probably if not more so in some respects), but sadly it seems that very few lessons (if any) have been learned since then, as the media, politicians, and even various elements of society at large have continued to constantly bombard us with pretty much the same old same old ever since.

It seems that much of the phenomena that has seemingly morphed into 'buzzwords' over recent years, such as 'fake news', 'misinformation', etc, were already alive and well back in 2009 (and before), but were often dismissed and 'glossed over', especially the misconception that the late 'New Labour' govt had 'engineered' the last GFC that we were all slap-bang in the middle of worldwide at that time.

Carnation
30-06-23, 14:36
Just about everyone I know is fearful these days. Thanks to the pandemic, lock downs, news, TV and media fear feeding. :(

Lencoboy
30-06-23, 16:52
Just about everyone I know is fearful these days. Thanks to the pandemic, lock downs, news, TV and media fear feeding. :(

My point exactly Carnation.

The media (in particular) had a lot to answer for back then and still continues to have a lot to answer for today, however I don't really know whether or not it's just me, but it does IMO seem that the Daily Mail and the Daily Express in particular have generally toned things down a bit on their front pages more recently, at least on Tuesdays and Thursdays when I walk past the newspaper stand in our local train station when I attend my day centre.

I'm sure someone told me fairly recently that the media can only really up their sensationalist antes so far before the average Joe Public no longer gets the same sense of excitement and amusement from such OTT headlines that they probably once did, and now instead find them increasingly trite and boring, especially if they're covering the same old same old basic subject matter time and time again.