PDA

View Full Version : antibiotics

Vicki08
14-04-09, 12:10
Hi everyone,

I had an awful bank holiday weekend and spent most of it in hospital and at the emergency dentist! I ended up having root canal which got infected and has ended up in a huge abscess on my tooth. My face is all swollen and I havent eaten much since Friday :weep:

As you can imagine I'm feeling pretty awful!

The thing is, I have been doing so well with my anxiety and panic attacks over the last couple of months but since I have started taking these antibiotics my anxiety has hit the roof. I'm a nervous wreck, when I took my pulse earlier it was 110 and I've had loads of missed beats. I'm not sleeping very well either.

I'm also on very strong painkillers prescribed by the hospital.

Does anyone know if antibiotics can cause these feelings or do you think it could be something else? My health anxiety ridden mind is telling me that something more sinister is going on...... :ohmy:

Theres no way I can stop taking the antibiotics but maybe it might settle my mind if I knew these feelings were a side effect of the medication and not actually something seriously wrong with me (if that makes sense! :shrug: )

Thanks guys

Vicki x

mick_uk
14-04-09, 12:23
Hiya Vicki,
I didn't feel too good when i was on amoxicillin anitibiotics, not sure if that's whats causing you to feel bad. Could be the painkillers. You also had a bad weekend, that wouldn't have helped you. Lots of medicines can make your heartbeat race a bit.
You could always phone your doc and check and see.
Hope you feel better soon
mick

nomorepanic
14-04-09, 12:40
Which ones are they?

Vicki08
14-04-09, 12:47
Thank you both for your quick replies. :D

Its probably just the stress of the weekend but I feel so anxious!

The anitbiotics I'm taking are co-amoxiclav and the painkillers are tramadol hydrochloride and I'm also taking paramol which the hospital doc said to buy over the counter.

Vicki x

neelam30
14-04-09, 13:48
hey there. its probably just anxiety - co-amoxiclav has no major side effects unless you're allergic and that you would know instantly anyway. tramadol is an opioid analgesic so its quite strong, may be causing the symptoms but unlikely-maybe just try paracetamol or ibuprofen and leave out the tramadol, see how that feels, but its not likely to be a factor i think.
hope that helps.