PDA

View Full Version : coming off prozac abruptly

hoover
14-04-09, 12:27
Ive written here before with re to weight gain taking prozac -basically I started off at 20mg last September which worked great until Jan-and then it seemed to stop working .My doc after numerous requests finally upped me to 60mg about a month ago which hasnt done a single thing to improve how im feeling -however my initial concern with prozac was weight gain and since i started on the drug have piled on 2 stone. two stone is alot of weight -and altho cannot claim eating habits have been perfect -find this ballooning quite unusual -v similar to the contraceptive pill weight gain.
i want to come off it immediately because its making me worse by the day -and suicidal thoughts are far more common --but my doc wants me to try a gradual approach -i want to just stop it . ive had 20mg a day for the last four days and run out of my supply tomorrow -and plan on just going cold turkey . has anyone done this and should i be prepared for a scary decline in mood ? ( given that mood is already so bleak /suicidal ? )

nomorepanic
14-04-09, 12:40
I went cold turkey - not recommended.

I felt rubbish for about 2 weeks then was ok.

It is preferable to stop it gradually.

Cat80
14-04-09, 17:44
I was only one it for 4 weeks and stopped taking it about 10 days ago. Still feel sick all the time and my anxiety has been through the roof, been calming down the last couple of days but think I could be feeling like this from just going cold turkey

pieball86
04-06-09, 13:22
i wouldnt advise it i tryed cold turkey on citlopram and my head went i was fine for the first few days then i went balistic i dumped my girlfriend n started thinking and acting irationaly had to start them again and come off slowly