PDA

View Full Version : Can tension in your chest/throat give you a cough?

enigmatique
14-04-09, 14:15
I have had problems in the past with globus and the like and I know I am carrying a lot of tension around my throat and upper chest, as well as having costochondritis (inflammation of the cartilege connecting one of my ribs to my breastbone) - unpleasant, but I can deal with it. I am on steroids for the inflammation and amoxycillin for any possible infection.

I don't feel particularly 'unwell', like I have a cold or anything (no headache, sore throat, runny nose etc) but I have the urge to cough ALL THE TIME. And I mean all the time. Every single second. Coughing doesn't give any relief, just makes my chest hurt. I also feel like I've got someone sitting on my upper chest! But the cough-urge is driving me absolutely nuts, and makes me worried that the antibiotics aren't helping (I've been on them since Saturday).

Does anyone know whether simply being anxious and carrying a lot of tension in throat/chest can give you this urge to cough all the time, or should I be concerned that it's something else? Please help! I'm going to end up ringing NHS direct for like the millionth time soon!

Stressed32
14-04-09, 14:24
You mentioned antibiotics for infection...do you think you could have an upper resp. infection? I just got over a sinus infection that moved into my chest. It caused heaviness, chest pressure, and so much coughing that my muscles got sore. Musinex for 3 days helped a lot combined with drinking tons of water. I am no Dr. but I hope this helps you. For me, anxiety does not feel the same as chest congestion. Anxiety feels more like heartburn without the burn.

enigmatique
14-04-09, 14:29
I might have an upper resp infection (not sure how I'd know! and I DON'T want to google the symptoms cos that only leads to disaster!), but I would have thought the antibiotics would have kicked in by now, whereas the cough thing is getting worse and the heaviness isn't getting better :( I also feel like someone's choking me, which I haven't had before, but I'm 99% certain that's just tension (even if it is pretty freaky).

enigmatique
14-04-09, 15:29
Please? Anyone? :weep:

gazania
14-04-09, 18:01
I get a tickly feeling in my throat which makes me cough when my chest is tight and I am feeling anxious. It can last a few hours or all day depending on how I am. It has come and gone for a few years now so I tend to think and hope that if it was something serious it would have got worse by now.

countrygirl
14-04-09, 22:45
I have a damaged neck/spine which causes my neck muscles to tense up this is on top of my anxiety:D and I often feel as if I am being strangled - its a strange sensations like a cross between feeling sick and as if you are short of breath. so I assume that straight anxiety can give you the tight throat as well - sometimes my throat aches but its a muscle ache not an internal sore throat.

You can get a manic tickle with a viral chest infection and feel chest heaviness and the anitbiotics won't help a viral infection so maybe its that.

always-ill
15-04-09, 00:09
Hi enigmatique,
I hope you are feeling better. Ive had this feeling when you just want to cough all the time, its always worse at nights too, sometimes with a cold, but sometimes when I am stressed as this causes you to produce excess mucus or cattarh in your throat which then sits in your windpipe and irritates the little hairs that are there, its horrible I know. I find honey helps as it coats your throat, also, a couple of hot toddy's, whiskey or brandy in some hot water with a bit of sugar. Seems to numb the cough sensation a bit.
I hope you feel better soon.
xx

Trish
15-04-09, 00:36
I have had problems in the past with globus and the like and I know I am carrying a lot of tension around my throat and upper chest, as well as having costochondritis (inflammation of the cartilege connecting one of my ribs to my breastbone) - unpleasant, but I can deal with it. I am on steroids for the inflammation and amoxycillin for any possible infection.

I don't feel particularly 'unwell', like I have a cold or anything (no headache, sore throat, runny nose etc) but I have the urge to cough ALL THE TIME. And I mean all the time. Every single second. Coughing doesn't give any relief, just makes my chest hurt. I also feel like I've got someone sitting on my upper chest! But the cough-urge is driving me absolutely nuts, and makes me worried that the antibiotics aren't helping (I've been on them since Saturday).

Does anyone know whether simply being anxious and carrying a lot of tension in throat/chest can give you this urge to cough all the time, or should I be concerned that it's something else? Please help! I'm going to end up ringing NHS direct for like the millionth time soon!

Hiya

When you cough is it productive? Do you bring up anything?

enigmatique
15-04-09, 09:06
Thanks everyone, I feel a lot better emotionally and a teeny bit better physically today. I saw my doc last night, fortunately it was late opening hours at the surgery, and she says I need to go back on my inhalers, hence all the symptoms. So not completely all in my head for once! I was confused because the cough is totally dry and I don't have any mucus at all on my chest - I would have been less worried then as it would have made more sense to be coughing all the time. Grrr to asthma and grrr to ventolin-shakes!