PDA

View Full Version : New to the Site but not to Health Anxiety

Sarah16
14-04-09, 21:11
Hi, I have been looking at this site for a while now and tonight decided to join. There seems so much support which I could do with right now. I have suffered from health anxiety for around 3 years. The first time I thought I was having a heart attack, palpitations etc and I managed to overcome this with help from my GP and medication. After a year and a half with nothing it came back again with palpitations etc and again I managed to get over it! I decided to join as yet again, without fail it has come back and this time I think I have cancer, every lump and bump has me thinking the worst. My GP has put me back on medication (citalopram) which I think is helping. I have 2 young kids (9) and (5) which keep me busy and my mind on other things, but sometimes it is so hard.
Thanks for reading.
Sarah

JonnyRaz
14-04-09, 21:46
I have this to !
Always worrying about something. Ive been doing something called Cognitive therapy & its been very helpful for me personally...you're gp should be able to refer you to someone if you ask. All about changing how you think about things, you're initial reactions when you find something you could worry about. People like us have this underlying idea that we're extremely fragile because of an experience we may have had at some point..& we have created a protection mechanism that basically works by just imagining every worst case situation possible so that we're ready for it before it happens. Its just about bringing that back into reality & stopping your mind from doing that. It is possible.

For a recommendation ive been reading a book called mind over mood, you'll find it quickly on amazon if you just google that & again thats been very very helpful for me. So you could try that if you'd like.

Hope that helps out a bit, im new on here aswell !

sunshine-lady
14-04-09, 22:33
Hi and welcome to NMP

So pleased that you have found us. I am sure you will like it here as there is so much help, information and support. There is a chat room which is a great place to make new friends

Take care xxx

kittykat
15-04-09, 13:31
Hi there and :welcome: to the site, lots of good advice on here, and the chatroom is very good as well, take care xx

Sarah16
15-04-09, 19:24
Just to say thank you for replying and hopefully will get loads of support and meet new people who are going through the same thing.

JonnyRaz, thanks for the recommendation for the book you are reading, sounds like a good place to start. I am back at my GP next week for results of a blood test (of course I am worrying about that) and I shall ask him about Cognitive therapy. Once again thanks for your reply.

Sarah

Southern_Belle
16-04-09, 04:11
Hi Sarah,

Welcome to NMP. Many here will understand how you have been feeling and will give their support.

Take care,

Laura

Patty
18-04-09, 13:37
Hi Sarah, :hugs:

:welcome: to NMP. It's great that you've joined. There is so much information & help here.

Best wishes :flowers: