PDA

View Full Version : Terrified that I have a weak heart...

Platinum2k9
15-04-09, 10:55
Hi,

I've been suffering quite chronic anxiety for the last few weeks now, but recently I've grown afraid that I have a very weak heart. I'm not sure what the symptoms are supposed to be -- but I know that I have hardly exercised at all in the last few years (although I have begun to start again in the last few days), and I'm worried that this (possibly contributed to by being about a stone overweight) has really weakened my heart. It makes me worried that if I over-exert myself in any way (eg. through huge anxiety), I could do my heart some serious damage.

I'm 22, by the way.

Thanks for any help,

Craig

cheekycharlie
15-04-09, 10:57
have you had any symtoms that would cause you to think this? have you been seen by your GP or had any tests done at the hosp? x

Platinum2k9
15-04-09, 11:03
I haven't had any tests done at the hospital, no. My doctor checked my heart with a stethoscope, and he didn't detect anything. He also checked my blood pressure, and said that it was only slightly higher than normal -- which was apparently normal for someone experiencing my anxiety. But can those techniques measure how strong a heart is?

The problem is, my heart does feel weak, and there have been times when I've worried really badly, and felt so weak that I was scared my heart wouldn't be able to handle it.

House fan
15-04-09, 11:27
Hi Platinum

What do you mean when you say 'my heart does feel weak'? In what way, can you give me your symptoms?

House

Platinum2k9
15-04-09, 11:45
It's hard to explain... it's just a general feeling. I think what worries me is that there might not be any easily describable symptoms of a weak heart -- at least not until it's too late, and I'm suffering a serious heart condition.

**twinkle**
15-04-09, 11:48
I sympathise with you platinum. This is one of my fears. Im even worried that exercising might be too much for my heart. I was convinced by tge doctor checking my chest with his stethscope, so im having a 24hr heart monitor fitted tomorrow. But please remember you are only 22, and this is a real commen symptom of Health anxiety.

Twinkle x

Platinum2k9
15-04-09, 11:51
Even at 22, I'm still fearful, considering the lack of exercise I've done. :-(

House fan
15-04-09, 12:05
This 'general feeling' is NOT the sign of a weak heart or heart disease. You are suffering from sensitization and you have convinced yourself that you have a heart disorder, but I can assure you that you do not!

I can just imagine you examining your heart beat constantly, how fast it's going, how strong or weak the beats seem to be, fingers hovering over your pulse 100 times a day. You are now so sensitized that you are afraid to 'strain' your heart by doing anything too demanding, just in case it 'finally gives way'. Does any of this sound familiar?

You must accept that your young heart is healthy. It has been beautifully designed to work flawlessly for a very long time, you are paying it too much attention which has led you to this point where you are constantly worried, and aware of it's every beat!

I hope this re-assures you a bit, take comfort in the fact that you have a good heart, a healthy heart, a heart that hasn't so much as missed a single beat since you were born. Don't let your head rule your heart, a strong healthy heart doesn't make mistakes, you have absolutely nothing to worry about, I promise you.

House.

Platinum2k9
15-04-09, 12:16
House fan -- thanks for your comments. I think it's true that, definitely over the last few years, I've had this obsession with my heartbeat, and preventing it from beating. But it's this which has now led me to fear that my serious lack of exercise actually will do damage to my heart -- especially since I've heard that anxiety can lead to conditions like heart attack, heart failure etc.

House fan
15-04-09, 12:26
I don't know who told you that Anxiety can lead to heart attacks and heart failure, because that is absolutely false and dangerous information.

Anxiety can never cause heart disease in a healthy heart, I can assure you of that. Misunderstanding can be the key to many anxieties, and this is yet another classic case my friend. Whoever told you this information is an idiot!

House.

Platinum2k9
15-04-09, 12:30
But I think one of my problems is that I worry my heart ISN'T healthy... because of the lack of exercise I've done, my weight etc. I suppose it's a viscious circle, really -- where I worry about my health, which leads me to panic more, and then worry about my health even more...

House fan
15-04-09, 12:51
What weight are you?

cheekycharlie
15-04-09, 12:51
if you are worried about your health in general, now is a good time to do something about it. I am not saying join a gym or go to some classes, but walk a bit further everyday & take the stairs instead of lift, you know little things like that over time make a big difference. Also, cutting down on fags & alcohol (if you do them) also help and eating fresher & more healthier meals in general. x

Platinum2k9
15-04-09, 12:56
Housefan -- about 12 stone 5 (I used to be heavier, about 13 stone -- but I think my anxiety has led me to eat less).

House fan
15-04-09, 13:07
12 stone 5!!!!!! Unless your height is 2ft, your weight is great, and will not put your heart at risk. In fact, if you remain this weight for the rest of your life, I suspect that you will have a very long life indeed.

You are worrying over nothing my friend, you have simply been 'conned' by sensitized nerves. Have you any idea just how strong the human heart actually is, and what it is capable of? Do you know that if you were able to squeeze your heart with your hand it would continue to beat normally! It is an astonishing organ, and I guarantee you it will not let you down!

Trust me, you will be fine. You are a young healthy man with your whole life ahead of you. I hope I've been able to help a wee bit.

House.

cheekycharlie
15-04-09, 13:12
they is nothing wrong with that weight love. :) x How tall are you?

Platinum2k9
15-04-09, 13:18
Cheekycharlie -- I'm 5"8.

I think I'm still a bit concerned about the effect of lack of physical exercise on my heart... but otherwise, this thread has reassured me a bit. I take it that I can't be suffering from a seriously weak heart if there aren't any easily describable symptoms?