PDA

View Full Version : That Claire Weekes Book

FRANKIEISBACK
15-08-05, 12:19
Really is helpful, I borrowed the original text off a mate.

I think sometimes labelling ourselves as socially anxious , a panic disorder sufferer etc is not what she is on about.

From what I can work out she seems to suggest all human beings have elements of these feelings, thoughts etc in their personalities, but sometimes too much adrenaline and bad habits makes things too much. Indeed she seems to suggest the plan of recovery for all anxiety illnesses is basically the same sort of approach, acceptance, working through and accepting the bad days and then moving on again. This why I think some people can take an anti depressant that is not really seen as one useful for anxiety yet do well on it, prehaps it lifts their mood enough to make lifestyle changes etc?

I was also heartned by her suggestion that OCCASIONALLY it is ok to ask a wise doctor for some light relief in terms of a calming tablet, we all know these are not an answer but if used sparingly then thats ok, especially when feelings are overwhelming.

The way I am trying to look at this is its an illness like anything else, doctors, anti depressant drugs, books like claire weekes and sites like this are there for a reason, if so many people didnt suffer then they wouldnt be in existence.

I so wish that so much of my life hadnt been taken away by anxiety and depression, the sense of lost goals, frustration etc is awful, I was going to go into long term therapy but talking to people on here it seems there are lots of us.

Peace and hugs to all of you

Frankie

Meg
15-08-05, 12:27
....and you can improve Frankie

This may be where you are right now but with knowledge, understanding and practice it doesn't always have to be that way.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

FRANKIEISBACK
15-08-05, 12:32
And something else I picked up on, just because you feel a slip back into feeling anxiety again, she suggests thats the nature of the illness and when that happens you have to ride the storm and when the clouds part get on with living again,I think the problem is we go to the doctors and think we will never have to go again or suffer again but having been anxious before, by following good advice, we can slowly get things together.

vernon
15-08-05, 12:57
hi Frankie ans All, Whic claire weekes book did you read? I read help for the nerves years ago and this time I read Essential Help for your nerves, I too found the book very helpfull as I was realy ill at the time with my anxieties. I got essential help for your nerves of amizon.com for about £8 and a good £8 spent. I still read lots of other books but will always go back to this one. Essential help for the nerves is a combination of all her other books, It was realesed well after she died by a member of her family. take care all. Vernon

FRANKIEISBACK
15-08-05, 13:00
Yes we in the west do not take care of ourselves do we?

Vernon I read her original text, self help for your nerves

Piglet
15-08-05, 13:24
H Frankie

Like Vern its the one I always go back to aswell.

You've totally grasped the whole concept of the book Frankie and I too found comfort in the same bits you have.

I've had the book about 4 years and it was money well spent.

How nice for us too that we have found this site and can help each other along a bit, as and when we need it.

Love Pig x

FRANKIEISBACK
15-08-05, 13:53
I know when I am heading down hill, I start obsessing about past actions, analysing everything and every event, worrying about the future , its awful BUT it helps to read such a book which explains so many of us do the same and the brightness will emerge.

Trev
15-08-05, 16:53
Hi Frankie,
I was lucky that a friend of a friend gave me a copy of this after I was told I was in an "anxiety state" by a neurologist. I'd never heard of anxiety state or panic attacks.
I found the book immensely helpful and I think I was lucky to have been given it so early in my situation. I believe it saved me from going even further down.
At first, I couldn't read it because I was so sensitised to everything. But as I forced myself to read each page I thought "that's what's happened to me" and ended up reading it from cover to cover several times! I still use it now if I have a bad day and want reassurance. I, like you, find her style very comforting.
I then bought the video and also the audio tape!! (I'm a Clair Weekes groupie now!! lol). I'd recommend the audio tape if you haven't got it. The video doesn't really give you significantly more than the tape but it costs alot more.
The tape stays in the car and if I have a dodgy drive I put it on and then it calms me down. For me, it also helps to hear things as well as read them. It also helps to bury the concept in my mind I think.
I'm miles better than 9 months ago and she had a major part to play in that. Just wish I'd found this site 9 months ago as well.
All the best,
Trev