PDA

View Full Version : Amoxicillin antibiotic and severe flatulance!

countrygirl
15-04-09, 17:24
yes I can see the funny side of this:D but my health anxiety is in overdrive.
I have had facial pressure for weeks and am due to see ent surgeon on monday. Gp doesn't think its sinus related more likely connected to my damaged neck that gives weird head symptoms BUT she said that I could try a course of antibiotics and see if it helps because if it does then it could be sinus infection so I agreed. I haven't taken amoxicillin for at least 8 years as it always gave me thrush but she said it was the best one.
24 hrs after I started taking it I got awful flatulance that is quite painful in bouts and constant farting:yesyes: .
I spoke to my pharmacist who when he stopped laughing ( I know him well) he said it was just the lack of friendly bacteria and to take actimel or live yogurt wich I have done for past 24 hrs. but still this terrible gurgling painful at times wind.
I did silly thing an googled the antibiotic and it says ALL antibiotics can cause C Diff:scared15: and it can occur up to two months after you stop taking the tablets.
At the moment I don't have the runs although a bit looser than usual probably due to the gale force nine blowing behind it:whistles:

I need reassurance that someone else has taken antibiotics and had upset bowels and NOT developed c diff or any other nasty bowel infection.

I don't want to ring my Dr and ask if its okay to keep taking them as I have seen her so much in last few weeks its embarrasing but same time I'm in my panic mode of wanting to ask everyone if its okay - I know the worst thing you can do is stop taking the antibiotics as this can make nasty things more likely. I finish them on Sunday.

panic2much
15-04-09, 17:33
Hiya I was taking amoxcillin 2 weeks ago for a chest infection. It gave me diarrhea, bloated feeling, nausea and thrush:blush: . But my chest cleared up lol!

Anti biotics always make my tummy feel upset and my grans just the same.

xxxx

CJH86
15-04-09, 18:04
Hi, ive had amoxcillin about 10 times plus for sinusitis and chest infections when i was younger, have have had other antibiotics several times and i took antibiotics for 2 years for my acne when i was a teen.....with amoxicillin i spent a lot of time on the toilet but never had C. Diff. with any antibiotics !

neelam30
15-04-09, 18:05
dont worry. amoxicillin is very unlikely to cause c.dificile. its not a high risk antibiotic for it at all. in fact its recommended in patients who c.diff would be a problem for as its so unlikely to cause the illness.
amoxilcillin can give diarrhoea as a side effect but thats very usual and not c.diff.

countrygirl
15-04-09, 18:51
Thanks everyone you have made me feel much better - its so nice to be able to come on here and ask the questions that you so want to ask but feel at twit about.

I didn't realise that amoxicillin was one of the better ones regarding c diff - nice to know.

always-ill
16-04-09, 19:27
Hi,
I just wanted to add that I have taken amoxicillin a lot and it has also given me thrush and wind! I am also experiencing severe flatulence and Im not even on antib's, although my anxiety is through the roof right now. I have literaly sat at my desk chuffing away all day, I almost felt like I was sitting in a green haze, and it smelt!!! Luckily 4 of my colleagues that sit around me were off today, and another one that sits behind me moved desk as they were complaining their pc was playing up, actually.... thinking about it..... oops!!!:blush: