PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram and burning skin

Sleepless999
15-04-09, 19:20
Hi there - I started on 10mg Citalopram 10 days ago, and although I think I'm beginning to feel calmer, I am getting the most awful burning sensation under the skin on my forearms and hands - it comes in waves and there is nothing visible. Has anyone had this and did it stop eventually? Don't really want to change to Lustral because it gave me terrible night sweats and dreams years ago when I took it before. Can anyone help??!! Thanks!

NoPoet
15-04-09, 22:15
Hi Skippy, the burning or tingling sensation sounds like a side effect to me. Don't change citalopram yet, it takes the best part of a month for the side effects to settle down. Keep going!!

PoppyC
15-04-09, 22:33
Hi! :)
I have heard of this side effect being related to citalopram and other SSRI's but it also may be an allergic reaction (although this would be rare) It may be a side effect called paresthesia which is a tingling or burning sensation.
I would get it checked out just for your own reassurance by a gp.

paw_prints
16-04-09, 00:37
I experience this side effect as well. I am in my 7th week (3rd week at 30 mg). It's not a continuous thing. It just kind of comes and goes throghout the day. My skin usually gets a little flushed too.