PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety or serious symtoms?

reddevil
15-04-09, 19:22
I’m struggling these days, how do I know if I need to see a doctor or are symptoms serious or just anxiety?

I have been struggling with something since Sunday and it all started by something stupid, which happened but I guess to you people on this forum, you will all understand how something small has caused this anxiety as my family have just laughed at me and I wish I never told them.

I was out with the family in the car Sunday and I was talking normal with everybody then I just struggled with getting a sentence out, which we all laughed at etc.

Well, it happened again Monday, with me having trouble pronouncing a word and bang, my brain told me that this has happened twice in two days and ANXIETY came back quicker than a flash etc.

This has been on my mind and today I have started feeling dizzy and lightheaded, so I’m putting two + two together and coming out with a tumour, which is causing all this.

I was at the doctors 4 weeks ago, which I think he did some neurologist tests (by tapping my joints and then touching parts of the body and seeing if I could feel him touch etc) and several blood tests because I was struggling with itchiness and I was worried about MS and everything appeared ok and blood tests came back normal) and it vanished after 7 days but now these symtoms have appeared.

I’m thinking, can anxiety cause this, especially as I’m focusing on my speech and dizziness and would my speech be struggling all day if something serious was up?

Red

rhianna
15-04-09, 20:11
I keep reading things that have happened to me. It makes me realise how much this horrendous HA has taken over my life. I go through phases of mudling my words or not being able to get my words out. I do it once and then am looking for myself to dp it again and of course I do. My brain almost works like a computer sifting information all ady even when I don't think I'm in panic. It picks up every little trip of speech, piece of info that relates to the panic of the moment. I think this is probably what is happening to you.x

mandah2386
15-04-09, 20:11
Yes anxiety can cause this. I too struggled with this for a short period when my anxiety was at it's worse. Just relax, if you've already had neuro tests and they came back fine, I feel safe to say that you are perfectly fine and it's just anxiety.

reddevil
16-04-09, 15:39
Thankyou for replys but I appear to be still worried of it being serious, so I guess I will try and see my doctor about it.

I think while I'm there, I will ask him if there is anything I can take in the day for anxiety?

Red

agent orange
16-04-09, 18:11
I have the same thoughts . I wonder too if it is anxiety or something serious. I too have had neuro tests and seen a consultant too, thinking I had M.S, which I feel I have, but all tests came back remarkably normal (last May) and I still have symptoms and I don't understand that anxiety can make you feel like this, even when i don't feel anxious, but apparently it can.

worriedGrace
16-04-09, 20:25
I sometimes stumble over my words or forget the name of something I use all the time. At my advanced age I worry that I am developing dementia especially as the family waited for a lovely chicken dinner and I hadn't turned the oven on.

Logically I know it happens to everyone and it is worse when I am anxious.

reddevil
16-04-09, 20:45
I guess people without anxiety would not think twice about it.

I have looked at lots of anxiety symtoms and dizziness is listed but it is a symtom I'm not used to and I'm finding hard to understand how anxiety can make you dizzy 24/7.

Red

reddevil
18-04-09, 19:22
Not sure if I feel better or not...!

Today, I was feeling dizzy still especially when gardening so I though I would phone the 24/7 doctors, who said pop down at 6pm.

I went at 6pm, hoping they would check me over like they said on the phone but I was seen by an advanced nurse who sat me down and after talking to me, she said I have VERTIGO, which she then logged on the PC and showed me a picture of an ear etc, which is vertigo.

She never checked my eyes etc, just blood pressure and pulse info from finger etc.

She said it could be caused by an infection and I noticed tumour on the list, which I said that is what I'm worried about.

She said she would take my blood pressure, which would rule out a tumour.
She did the blood pressure and said that it fine and would be sky high if it was a tumour.

She said vertigo will clear up on its own and if still present after a month then I would have to go for tests.

I'm not sure if I feel better or worse after seeing her.

Red

Trixie
18-04-09, 19:30
You should feel better.

Ddcoo
19-04-09, 08:57
Hi Red, I get days when my speech doesn't coordinate with my brain, I stumble over words, get sentences the wrong way around etc. I just laugh them off and call them "my wobbly gob days". Please do not put too much score on them, it is all part of our illness.

Chrismascray
19-04-09, 09:02
Just had to add, This happens to me all the time, it gets worse when I am anxious and my brain fogs or freezes, but time after time I say something and someone will repeat what I have said, it makes no sense or is backward, but I also get times when I canot get out what I want to say, I have HA and suffer with all sorts, but this is not a worry for me, and I hope that by seeing others have the same or at the least similar to you, then it may well help you as well.

reddevil
19-04-09, 11:13
I went to the doctors today, he said my blood results are ok from two weeks ago, he then looked into my eyes, looked down my throat, did blood pressure and then he ended by doing some neurologist tests like tapping all my joints with a hammer, touching my face and tongue etc.

He never diagnosed vertigo or labrinthtis and said my brain is working fine so it is properly anxiety.

I was still worried, so I said can anxiety cause me to be dizzy like bending down then getting up again and he said yes, usually he would explain things to me but not this time.

Red

reddevil
24-04-09, 14:28
After some advice...?

When I went to the doctors (please see above), is this satisfactory or should I be asking for more tests?

Advice welcome..!

Red

reddevil
28-04-09, 12:09
I’m still suffering with this light-headedness and I need to talk and get something of my chest.

Since suffering with anxiety, this has to go down as one of my worst anxiety symptoms.
Something is stopping me from accepting this dizziness symptom is anxiety related and if I’m honest, my main reason of negative thoughts are “how do I know there is no tumour, without having any kind of scan”? For some reason, I feel like I’m putting my life on hold.

I have had several tests so far, which include my eyes tested by an optician and my doctor has taken my blood pressure, looked into my eyes and said my blood test results from a few weeks back have all came back normal.

Usually when suffering with anxiety symptoms, I find a pattern in the day where it easies and that usually tells me that it is anxiety as it would not disappear at a certain time of the day.

reddevil
01-05-09, 19:29
Hi all,

Things have just got worst tonight...!

At work today, I still had the lightheaded feeling but tonight when I got home from work, I appear to have this horrid smell, smells like petrol etc, which is realy worring me about a tumour, not sure what to do as I only went the docs yesterday about the light-headedness???

Red

ann01
01-05-09, 19:36
The speech thing is definatley symptoms of anxiety, i get this quite often, it is really worrying, but try not too, its unbelievable how anxiety can affect us, also the dizziness is another of my more constant symptoms, which i still really struggle with, do you sit with your shoulders up are feel tight around your neck or shoulders, not breathing from your stomach can also cause this. hope your feeling better. Ann

SleeplessFog
01-05-09, 19:42
Reddevil, I have a lot of your symptoms. They think I have labyrinthitis but they aren't really finding anything to support that. But I still get vertigo.

The dizziness in my case has a lot to do with how tense I am holding myself. A lot of times I am pretty much holding my shoulders to my ears, it makes the dizziness worse.

My breathing when I get dizzy...I have taken notice on how bad it is. I am usually not breathing from my diaphragm when this happens. Breath in for like 4-5 and out for 6...longer breaths out.

Trust me vertigo and labyrinthitis can definitely be stress and anxiety related and/or caused. My coworker was horribly ill with vertigo and they did every test in the world on her ( and they tested me for everything under the sun) and they told her it was all stress.

One thing I have learned (I have been like this for about 3 months now) is that panicking makes the dizziness worse....and you have to be really patient with yourself in your recovery. Definitely take some short walks if you can (I am off balance right now so this works great).

The days I feel terrible are the days I don't get any sleep. Sleep and rest is so important with vertigo.

ann01
01-05-09, 19:44
I have struggled with the light headness at work as well today but this web site really helps, so glad i have a phone with internet access, try not to focus too much on your symptoms i know its hard but really anxiety make us feel horrible. I have all kinds of tests done for the lightheadness, and everything always comes back the same - NORMAL - today i work i couldnt stand up without holding onto something, but i am so glad i managed to stay at work without running home. Take Care Ann

reddevil
04-05-09, 19:57
Hi,

Started today with a metallic taste in my mouth (on and off) all day, which I have deffinetly had before.

Through my nine years of anxiety, I have never had more than one symtom together, one usually passes and another one comes but this time, I have the dizziness and matallic taste together, which has worried me more all day.

Not sure if anybody can answer this but if I was going to bend down in the garden and then thought to myself "would i get dizzy when standing up", could this make me lightheaded as anxiety taking over?

The reason I ask, I have improved as when I walk the lightheadness has gone but still there when I bend in the garden, as that was how it started?

Red

manmoor
05-05-09, 00:15
Hi Red.

First of all I hope your dizziness is easing abit for you :hugs: I still get mine regular although I now tell it to clear off when it starts as I usually have another symptom to concentrate on and the dizziness goes as I'm not focusing on it. I've never had the kind of dizziness that some people get when they see objects move mine would have been more like bobbing on a boat feeling.

thought to myself "would i get dizzy when standing up", could this make me lightheaded as anxiety taking over?

I think you just answered your own question there mate :shades: If your thinking that way before you even bend down the dizziness will most defo appear as your concentrating on it. xxx

reddevil
05-05-09, 20:10
With having dizzy feelings and a metalic taste/smell, does this sounds like something serious is going on because last time I went to my doctor last week, I never had the metalic smell/taste and I don't usually have two symptoms together with anxiety and l feel the left jaw slight pain like tooth ache but on and off?

I also had a blood test two weeks before these symtoms but I guess there was no need to re-do them?

Tomorrow, it is fortunate I have my 6 monthlyhygienist appintment, should I mention it or would they not be able to help?

Red

SleeplessFog
05-05-09, 20:15
I only had the dizziness...but yes now I get the dizzies and the metallic taste in my mouth on and off. Inner ear problems make your body do the weirdest stuff. I hope that helps to reassure you?

reddevil
07-05-09, 09:54
To make things worse for me, a lady in the office said to me "your sinus above the eyes look swollen", that's all I needed to hear. I thought they were always raised but people don't mean it but it makes me worse.

SleeplessFog
07-05-09, 14:22
To make things worse for me, a lady in the office said to me "your sinus above the eyes look swollen", that's all I needed to hear. I thought they were always raised but people don't mean it but it makes me worse.

Is it right above your eye? If so, yes, I get those too.. people comment like...do you have a cold? Because they are poofy looking. I hate when people say I look bad...it makes me nervous that people think that I am seriously ill.

reddevil
07-05-09, 18:09
Hi SleeplessFog,

That's them, they are above the eyes, and your right, they do look puffy.

Red

SleeplessFog
07-05-09, 18:54
Hi SleeplessFog,

That's them, they are above the eyes, and your right, they do look puffy.

Red

Yeah sometimes I look like I got whacked in the face. Real nice when you go into work eh? :D

lauraw
07-05-09, 20:23
Hi Red
I have had all of those symptoms also, the dizziness is horrendous. At my worst I woke up one morning and quite literally couldnot sit up without falling over. The lightheadedness is much more subtle its just a feeling of being a bit spaced.
its great your dissiness has got better with walking, it means its nothing serious because if it were a tumour etc then the dizziness would be there all the time...so thats a good thing.Right?
With you bending and getting the dizziness it could just be your blood pressure. When we get anxious our blood pressure can go up but we don't tend to get symptoms from this. however when you bend forward this can make your blood pressure drop this change in your blood pressure can often make you feel light headed and dizzy. Its called postural hypotension, its not life threatening just really annoying!

Keep well x