PDA

View Full Version : Please help

anx mum
16-04-09, 12:37
Dont know how 2 cope with these panic attacks. Got 2 boys at home and finding it really hard 2 cope. Its the breathing symptom that scares me the most.:mad:

severina
16-04-09, 15:07
Hi, i'm a mum at home with 1 girl and a panic attack/anxiety sufferer.
Would you like to chat? Its especially hard when its the school holidays

Boxy
16-04-09, 15:12
The breathing is a big issue for me too. I found the PAs really hard to deal with, the depressive moods were getting worse and I was barricading myself against going anywhere to try and avoid the panic attacks. I have a young son and if it wasn't for him I'd be a prisoner in my own home.

I made myself go out and do things with him, it isn't easy. I didn't want to take tables because the possible side affects made me more anxious so I decided to try CBT and so far it it helping me cope and understand the PAs a lot better.

I panic when alone or driving and today I drove to a playgroup with my son and although panicky, I made it.

I hope you can find a way through too.

anx mum
16-04-09, 15:29
Thanx boxy for your reply what does your breathing feel like does it feel like u aint got enough air like a suffocatting feeling. Got work 2nite hope i get thr it

dweener
16-04-09, 15:33
i find myself in much the same situation as you trying to look after my daughter and cope with the anxiety it has bn made paticuler worse by the easter break. i to am scared most by the breathing aspect of the attacks. ive just got a home treatment team involved and they have adviced me that how you start the day will impact on the rest of your day so if you wake and instintly become anxious your day will be plauged by it, so you need to do deep breathing, or any relaxation technique instantly on waking to make the beginning of your day as anxious free as possible don't know it that will help but anything is worth a try

neelam30
16-04-09, 15:40
i agree that you should wake up positive. this morning i woke up and was crying cause had a bad night and it followed me, all day i was panicky and scared (see my post).
in contract i had my best freind over at the weekend and was so busy enjoying myself i didnt have a single problem, if i felt it coming i pushed it away.
try opening a window and getting air for breathing better.

Boxy
16-04-09, 16:33
My breathing quickens and then I start to try and swallow and find it really hard and panic more. Then I start to pant and my chest feels so tight like someone is sitting on me.

The best thing is to try and not concentrate on the breathing (really tricky, I know but...), can you distract yourself by singing or talking to yourself? It sometimes works for me. Hope tonight isn't too tough for you.

bottleblond
16-04-09, 16:50
Distraction really works for me too. I was very panicy yesterday and a very good friend of mine from here rang me and made me talk the biggest load of poop Lol. Within a few minutes my breathing felt alot more normal and the panicy feeling began to go. Thanks Nic xxxxx

Lisa
x

tracythejambo
16-04-09, 16:58
Hiya

My partner has recently taken panic attacks first one was really bad had to get an ambulance. I bought him this stuff called rescue rememdy and whenever he gets anxious (get normally gets pain in back of head) he takes a couple of drops and the panic attack settles. Hope this helps.

xx

Nicola_lou
16-04-09, 17:30
Rescu remedy where do you get that from. I suffer with air hunger so scary like I hold my breath or its so fast can't tell if your breathing in or out. I try phoning someone for a chat and talk poop until I feel better. Or distract myself with the website or cleaning.
Try to learn to breath from stomach its hard it first cause you don't want to think about your breathing but it does help it feels like little effort to breath, I've tried paper bag don't work feel worse. I breath in count to 7 hold my breath for 15 sec or less if you can't then breath out count to 7, then after 3 times distract yourself run a bath talk to your kids.
And when your having a panic attact scale it between 1 to 10 it will not only distract you but when you have another one you may scal it lower and I find that helps.