PDA

View Full Version : Cancer Phobia

Debby-1966
16-04-09, 14:46
Hi,

I'm just back from my Doctors, he has told me that I have Cancer Phobia, is there anyone else with this?

I have been seeing my Doc for my fears for a few years now, today he's said he'll refer me to see a phycologist.

I really not sure what else to say, I'd love to hear from others feeling the same panic that I do.

Deb xx

PixieL
16-04-09, 17:01
hi deb, first of its great that your dr is refering you to a pshycologist it will help to talk. and yeah i think alot of people on here have panic attacks over the big c, myself included. i hope you feel better after you talk it out, and remember we are all here for you. xxx

Debby-1966
16-04-09, 17:23
Hiya,

It's so good to hear I'm not alone in having 'c' phobia.

I had an infected lump in my breast ... have had cyst's for the last nearly 4 years ... well it responded great to the antibiotics and reduced is size, right down to a very small petite pois, while Rich (my son) was at the height of his problems, I was able to forget about any of my silly OCD and anxiety thoughts, but once things calmed down for him, my mind went into mega over drive, not 24/7, but more than I felt I could cope with.

Anyway, this morning my Doc checked my boob and drained the cyst, and told me all is good with my boob ... I think with me sobbing and my body wriggling I don't think I made it easy for him, but as always, he was fantastic!

After he'd drained the cyst, I went back into his office and sobbed again, this time Andy (my hubby) was holding my hand and telling Dr Thomson how I've been, I also told him how this morning I felt like not driving my car round the bend in the road, but wanting to drive it straight on, I said I feel I have no life with these panic's, I could have another 40 odd (odd being probably the right word for me http://s4.images.proboards.com/tongue.gif) years left to live and I don't want to feel like this, I don't want to get so low, that I end up doing something to get away from the utter panic/fear I keep feeling, so he asked me if I'd like him to refer me to a psychologist, I've said yes, to be honest, if he'd offered me anti depressants this morning, I think I'd have taken them, I want to start living my life to the full, these panics I keep having come completely out of the blue, I can be chatting happily one minute, then the next minute I'm panicking and full of dread, fear, feeling numb and just wanting to escape these horrible feelings!

I'd love to hear how everyone else feels, I suppose to feel, that what I'm feeling is normal.

I've had CBT before and still use it, but right now, being me feels like so much hard work, it's exhausting!

Deb xx

Debby-1966
22-04-09, 18:23
Nobody else feel like this?

Deb

David_mk09
15-05-09, 22:08
I have panic disorder and health anxiety and cancer has become my new obsession.
Ive been helped alot by the forums for headaches (brain tumours), heart/chest pain/aches (heart attack) but now I keep imagining I have advanced cancer and my body is giving up on me.
I do understand that it must be a habit now that ive been suffering from this for so long but I really do pray for a night where I can relax and get a good nights sleep without worrying about not waking up the next morning.
It happens everynight, most likely because im exhausted from being paranoid all day about not breathing, heart aches and checking my pulse constantly. Its like I cant tell normal bodily functions now like tiredness as any weakness scares me.
I know advanced cancer would mean excruciating pain but death is a huge phobia for me which in turn scares me of my own health.