PDA

View Full Version : OMG

mjb49
16-04-09, 23:19
Hi, I've only recently started to get these panic attacks (about 6 months ago ) and i was reading some other members post and she said she had been having panic attacks for 19 years. I actually had a panic attack reading that!
Now that is worrying.
I am really scared now that this could go on for a hell of a long time and this has got me down even more so, now. I kinda don't know what to do with myself.

nomorepanic
16-04-09, 23:21
Well sorry to upset you but I am 14 years I think!
I have been better the past 5 years but they do come back.

A lot of this is because I was never diagnosed. Read my story on the webiste pages over there <---------------------

Veronica H
16-04-09, 23:25
:welcome: to NMP. glad you have found us. I have had panic attacks on and off for two years but am about 80% recovered thanks to a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes called 'self help for your nerves', published by Thorsons. This is available from the NMP Shop. Her work can also be downloaded free to your MP3 from the shop. I can not recommend this enough as it really explains what is happening to us, and how we can recover. This will get better.

Veronica

diane07
16-04-09, 23:54
Welcome to nmp,

Well i hope it was my post you read.
Mine started 19 years ago.
But................ i have had years without.
I don't like going on planes, i hate driving on motorways, there are lots of things i have not liked doing.................
But there are alot of things i have overcome.
look at the success stories.
They are a massive help
And like veronica says..........Dr claire weekes is such a help

This site is here to help you, and you will find such great help here

If i'd have suffered panic attacks everyday for 19 years i'd be at the end of my tether, mine started then, but i had years without

back then we didn't have this site, docs didn't know much about it, how could we know how to combat it.

Thankfully, you have us........great support team

we'll help you out as much as we can

di xx

mjb49
17-04-09, 19:53
Thanks for that everyone,I know i'm being stupid because everyone's different, but it's just that i'm having a hard time handling this problem. Once i've calmed down a bit, i'll put everything in perspective. I've even got to go back to the Docs to apologise, because i even accused him of saying i was nuts(he didn't) and stormed out before he could explain anything, which left my wife sitting there looking stupid. That's the other thing, i've had this anger problem lately as well which isn't like me. It seems like everything is hitting me all at once.

Utility
17-04-09, 21:49
Hi

That's the whole point, everyone is different. Some get get full blown attacks and with others it can be small anxiety signs that only last seconds never to return again.

belle
17-04-09, 21:57
Nicola, i wasn't diagnosed either, not until it was too late and i was flipping housebound!!!!! It's quite funny, 'cause now i've been diagnosed with everything...lol.

I'm coming up for 11 years this year, i am not recovered at all ;)

Not everyone suffers for ages....

x

Kells81
17-04-09, 22:07
Hiya

Just because some people have panic attacks for 20 years doesnt mean that it will be like that for you as well.

Make sure you read lots of the sucess stories as well because people do get better. If you keep telling yourself that you are going to have panic attacks for the next 20 years then you probably will! Stay positive and fight it and you can get your life back xxx

tapper2002
18-04-09, 08:05
Dont panic! I had the worst time imaginable, was diagnosed as a case of severe anxiety by the Clinical Psychologist. I would panic at virtually anything, even the ticking of a clock or the turning of a page in a book would set me off - Im not joking. I would say I am back to normal now, or even better than I was before. I went to CBT and also used an NLP coach. The periods of panic became less severe and further apart, gradually. I was ill for about a year and a half, but the final stages of it didnt compare to the beginning.

You have to seek help and do whats best for you. I explored lots of things, hypnotherapy, different therapists, drugs (which I didnt take). I found that practical things helped, like going and having my nails done once a week, going to the gym (thats a good one) trying to eat healthily, reading a funny book, watching a funny film, doing a hobby... they all help. Claire Weekes was great, she seemed to know exactly how I felt so it made me feel more normal.

I just had to believe that I could get over it, I needed that belief. Im telling you that you can get over it, you just have to relax like Claire says, its a natural process, try to accept it and do the things like I say above.

Good luck!

gazania
18-04-09, 20:36
Mine have been about 14 years now and I am housebound too - doctor no help at all. But as others have said everyone is different so you may find yours go a lot sooner - I do hope so. I got ME and fibromyalgia as well so mine is a combination of problems, if I didn't feel so unwell with the ME and fibro I would be happier about attempting to go out, but I feel that until one problem is sorted the other won't be!