PDA

View Full Version : Nervous habits ?

Anzie2008
16-04-09, 23:38
Hi All :)
Just wondered whether anyone on here finds they have a nervous habit...? Like something you do when you're particularly anxious or panicky?

For example... when I'm dizzy, I get anxious... (although it is dizziness that stems from anxiety = vicious circle or what?!!!!!), and when I get anxious about getting dizzy, I find I can't stop playing with my hair... I twist it round my fingers, put it in a ponytail to take it down again a few minutes later... that sort of thing!!! I also rub my neck a lot, because I have problems with my neck which also make my dizziness worse. :wacko:

Tonight was another good example. My Nan is currently in hospital, so I went to visit her with my Mum, Dad & cousin. I don't like hospitals at all; I never have and I probably never will... they make me so anxious, especially after last year when I had to have an operation & stay in for 3 days! I start shaking the minute I walk in, I feel lightheaded, I can't stop fidgeting. We were sitting with my Nan, and because of the general noise on the wards, I found I was feeling more and more anxious. Almost automatically, I started humming the tune to a song we'd heard in the car! I was trying to calm my nerves but my cousin turned to me and said something like "are you humming to yourself? You sound like a right fruitjob" or something like that :ohmy::ohmy: ! Not exactly what I wanted to hear, especially when I have anxiety anyway and spend half my time worrying I'm a total 'nutter'.

Now she's really got me worrying that my nervous habits make me look like a total 'fruitjob' as she put it !!! Am I the only one with nervous habits or is it a common thng between us anxious people??

:flowers: Thanks for reading, if you got this far!! x

Rouska
16-04-09, 23:47
yes several nervous habits, i.e. folding, tidying up objects that are out of place! Also become fidgety and restless. I also struggle with noise generally, find it agitates me and then difficult to concentrate - especially when having a conversation, so have to turn the volume down or switch it off completely. So, you see.... you are not alone 'o)x

kath135
17-04-09, 00:38
Hi
My habit is looking in my Handbag? It's crazy I take everything out search it like a police office and then put it all back together, I even hold it upside down and shake it.:blush: When I'm in the car with my husband I do the same to the glove comp as well as my bag. One thing I dont do is talk, I find it very hard to communicate when it happens, My husband waits for me to speak first before he asks me if i'm ok. Having said that, when I had my children twenty years ago along time before I had anxiey I can remember the midwife saying that during the labour I did'nt speak to anyone for hours so I think I've always given the silent treatment out!!!! :)

Danny_dingle
18-04-09, 22:37
Hey all,

I know this is fairly common but I wring my hands, furrow my brow, rub my feet together and generally just grab or rub my limbs (tops of my arms if my arms are folded, etc). I also twitch my leg up and down... something I heard affectionately referred to years ago as 'disco leg'!

I didn't notice it until waaaay after everyone else spotted me doing it! I always know I am heading for a PA if I do any of those things!

Danny xxx

noodle1
19-04-09, 08:56
hello,
When im nervous, anxious i pick at the skin around my finger nails and pick at my lips if ive not applied lip salve. I get through lip salve because i constantly apply it to stop me picking.
I even pick in my sleep.
I used to pluck at my jumpers also, leaving great big holes in lots of them.