PDA

View Full Version : Kidney biopsy - worried

PoppyC
17-04-09, 09:17
Hi all :)
My appt to see the renal consultant about me having a kidney biopsy is next week I am dreading this now and more so as the appt gets nearer. There is a good chance that I will have to have the biopsy. I have been told it is quite a risky procedure. I know that it is done without full anaesthetic and I will be awake.:scared15:

I am going to panic so much. I will be in hospital overnight and wont be able to sit up or walk about for a few hours afterwards due to risks of kidney bleeding or whatever it is.:ohmy:

I am already getting anxious. I am worried that I will end up having a panic attack and this may complicate things :scared15: I will tell the consultant this I think

Has anyone ever had a kidney biopsy and if so what was it like? :unsure:

Peggysl
17-04-09, 09:54
Hi There

I don't know about kidney biopsy but I had a lung biopsy recently, and although I worried myself SICK, it really wasn't that bad at all.
I just happened to have a complication...a collapsed lung, afterwards and the treatment for that was too terrible.

Please try not to fret...they are very gentle and the nurses very kind.
They try hard to make sure nothing hurts either.
Tell them you are anxious and maybe they'll give you a sedative.

Love Pegs X

PoppyC
17-04-09, 12:41
Hi Pegs
Thanks for your reassuring reply. :D
I will go ahead and ask for a sedative or sedatives lol otherwise I just know I will end up in a real state and they wont be able to go ahead and do the biopsy.
Collapsed lung plus a Lung biopsy? :ohmy: That sounds far worse than a kidney biopsy. Poor you! I hope everything is ok for you now? :)

Peggysl
17-04-09, 14:23
Hi again

The collapsed lung was due to the biopsy...quite a common (20%) thing with needle lung biopsy. Just my luck!

My story is not over yet, see my thread from yesterday -Cheer up, Everyone! which will fill you in.

I am feeling so much better now though, and a lot of that is because of the support on this site.

Try not to worry too much.....the quicker it's behind you, the better.

Pegs X

PoppyC
17-04-09, 18:13
Thanks Pegs for replying :)- I just took a look at the other thread!
I am sorry that you are going through what you are and I am glad that you are feeling much better. You sound like a very strong person - I whinge about the smallest of things. I am going to ask for a sedative.
I hope everything goes well for you. :flowers:

nikkinoo
17-04-09, 23:03
Dear Poppy,
So sorry to hear you are going through a stressful time. My hubby had a kidney biopsy last year. He too was very jittery about this proceedure and worried that he too might have a panic attack. He explained this to the consultant and he was sedated and all went well. He was on the telephone to me within a couple of hours of it being done and felt fine. You have to take it easy for a few days after as far as lifting etc. is concerned but he made a quick recovery.
You will be fine.
Love Nikki. :-) x

PoppyC
18-04-09, 00:59
Hi Nikki :)
Thanks for your reply and for reassuring me. I appreciate it. I will mention about how anxious I am of having the biopsy when I go to see the consultant. If I am sedated, that will really help otherwise I know I will end up cancelling at the last moment.
I am glad your husband made a recovery! :)

PoppyC
27-04-09, 11:04
Hi
My appt for biopsy consultation got put back by another week. I just want it over and out of the way. It is now next Tuesday.:shrug:
I am trying not to worry and instead worrying about swine flu :wacko:

RosieXXX
27-04-09, 11:48
Hello Poppy,

What a nuisance having your appointment put back. It is horrible waiting for appointments, we don't quite know what to expect and imagine all sorts; In my experience the anticipation is far worse than the actual procedure. I know it is going to be difficult for you not worry - try to keep as busy and occupied as possible - it can help.

You know there are lots of people here to help you through.:hugs:

PoppyC
27-04-09, 15:02
Thanks Rosie for your lovely reply :) and the advice. I will try keeping as occupied as I can and hopefully next Tuesday will soon be here. I know nobody likes being in hospitals but I truly dread them after the past years events!

Wee-Mee
27-04-09, 15:44
Aw sweety I'm worrying about this swine flujust now after hearing about it o the news today..I just started a bloody thread about it :(

:hugs: What are you getting the biopsy for?

I'm sure if you explain that you are just too anxious and don't want to be aware of what is going on they would give you a sedative.

I am sure it will be all fine aslong as afterwards you don't decide to run a marathon or something ;) ie,plenty of rest!

Will be thinking of you petal

xxxxxxxxxxx