PDA

View Full Version : how much is too much?

daisyk
17-04-09, 16:27
I'm going through a terrible phase of panic attacks right now, and know that the safest thing to do is stay home with my family and try to get back into a normal routine to help me through. Not that I feel at all safe at home, or anywhere, but home is surely the safest place. And yet what I desperately want to do is pack my things, visit my boyfriend and my friends who live in another country and are all offering to take me out, distract me, look out for me etc =(
my family say it's the stupidest thing I could do. but should you decide to take a risk and maybe have a lot of fun and come home glad you broke the horrible depression you'd got yourself into, or be sensible and reasonable and get through it slowly in familiar surroundings?

where is the line for what is brave and what is silly? =|

mysonmarcus
17-04-09, 16:43
Wow, so good of you to even think of going away when you are feeling the way you are.........I think thats great.

I am not sure getting better is 'where' you are......... its more about 'WHO' you are, MEANING...... 'WHAT' you do when you feel panic and 'HOW' you think............. and if you can not only accept (not the best word at all) but to EMBRACE and try to INCREASE (so terribly courageous to do) panic when you feel it ( a level 10 blaster is not the right one to try to 'embrace' at least at first).

The more vulnerable you feel ie shops etc the harder this is to do. EMBRACING is s totally necessary. Along with 'STOPPING' intrusive thoughts, STOPPING the panic debrief (how bad you felt, when thinking of telling family and friends) and you will surely come through.

My very best wishes to you.

Mark

emma81
17-04-09, 17:54
I think that your family, like mine when i started becoming very depressed about 7 years ago now, worry for you and want to keep you close by, under their wing, where they can "keep an eye on you" - but i also think that wanting to do something that will make you feel happier is a positive thing and a good step to take. If your friends who you want to go and see are just in another country within britain or even europe then why not take the chance and know that you are only maximum of a few hours on a plane. Of course your family will worry, they see you in a bad place just now and they think that keeping you close by will make you better. But i dont think thats always the case, sometimes we need to identify what it is that is actually causing the depression/panic/etc and make changes to the cause. I dont know what the cause of yours is, but i do know that distraction can be a wonderful thing, as can laughter and the happiness being with a good circle of friends brings. I truly would consider going for it, why not book an open return ticket so you can return whenever you want. Explain to your family that you feel seeing friends will be really beneficial for your mental health and that you will get a ticket so you are able to return asap if you need too. The thing is that you will only wonder if you dont try and if you feel strong enough to go for it, then do it! The worst that can happen is you dont feel better there either but at least you can come back and know you tried. Im sure your family (even if they do disagree with your decision) will still be there with open arms to you if you try and end up coming back home again fairly soon. There is a whole world out there and if you feel you wanna go see it - then go see it :yesyes::hugs: