PDA

View Full Version : diazepam for panic attacks

Lawton86
18-04-09, 15:12
hey guys, the other day i went to the doctors telling her that i am still in a constant de-realisation state and when my panic attacks come on i really cant handle how bad some of them get. this is the third time she has seen me in 2 weeks ( as i have only been suffering with this problem for 3 weeks anxiety/panic) she has prescribed me diazepam to take when im having bad days or when i can feel a panic attack coming on.

\i refuse to take my citalapram coz i took one table and wouldnt stop shaking on my mums bed for 7 hours straight. the diazepam do seem to work, for calming down and general dopeyness....but this often leads to an even more spacey feeling. The doc thinks i should take my citalapram and deal with it, just wish she could see me having what i can only describe as fits when i take one.

Anyone else been prescribed diazepam and how they feel on it? ive been warmed by doctor and pharmacist that they are highly addictive and a ver strong tranquilizer.....but they are still not curing any major problems not even for a little while as it makes me feel calm but then more spacey. lol catch 22 guys.

any opinions or advice would be great!:)

Sleepless999
18-04-09, 15:20
Hi Lawton - Sorry you're suffering at the moment. As someone who has spent the last 2 years weaning off Diazepam, I can't tell you enough NOT to rely on it - it feels like the answers to all your problems/bad feelings at the time, but before you know it you are hooked and feel anxious just because you haven't taken it. It's OK for a quick fix, like once or twice, but it's lethal - the last two years have been hell with withdrawal symptoms for me and I SOOO wish I'd never started. Just go on to any of the benzo. sites to see what it does to people. I started Citalpram 2 weeks ago and have felt dreadful - not only that, my skin feels on fire so I think I'm allergic which means I'll have to switch anyway - it does feel scary but takes a couple of weeks to settle down - don't know what dose you're on, but 10mg may be a good start with a view to increasing if necessary. Good luck!

Lawton86
18-04-09, 15:53
hi, what kind of dosage as in mg, was u taking to feel calm from diazepam, im only taking about 5mg a day, i know some people take up to 60mg a day. thing is 5mg doesnt really seem to be having to much of an effect.

Sleepless999
18-04-09, 20:46
Hi again Lawton - I became addicted to sleeping tablets that stopped working due to tolerance. I switched over to 10mg of Diazepam which was an equivalent dose and then started a long, slow withdrawal. I cannot stress enough that you are on a slippery slope, as is anyone taking it regularly. Yes, it does work - probably for about a year or two - but eventually you will need more and more and more. I cannot stress enough how difficult it is to come off. You are very young to be taking this - why don't you ask for another SSRI - if Citalopram doesn't suit, maybe try Lusral? - Seriously, you must read some of the benzo. withdrawal sites - you have no idea! Please listen to me! Then I see you ask about alcohol and Diazepam - please see your GP! Oh, regarding your dose being "only 6mg " - I've been stuck on 1mg for 6 months and every time I try to reduce (by 10%) I get the most horrific withdrawal symptoms - I've been in hospital twice - 6mg is quite a lot actually, on a regular basis and mark my words, it will soon creep up to 10mg to have any effect. The brain adapts to this poison very quickly!

Lawton86
18-04-09, 20:54
to be honest i just trying to cure this de-realisation feeling by anyway i can. and the diazepam really isnt helping that, but it does help the fact that when the de-realisation freaks me outi dont seem to panic as much about it, just have a more laid back feel like 'whatever' kinda thing. i hate the way i feel now, always numb, always floaty always like things arnt solid and im just gunna close my eyes and thats gunna be it. i need somthing to relax my anxiety or worries or whatever u wanna call it. and just dont know what the anser is.

diazepam is helping but only for the calm side and making me really dosy, but its not helping with my biggest concern and thats the de-realisation feeling :(

skyblue
18-04-09, 21:58
hi

have been given diazepam by my gp,and the prescription is still pinned to the board i keep thinking shall i/shant i.....

think ill try without as im scared of tablets anyway.....(long story)

sending ((((((((((((BIG HUGS)))))))))))

TO ALL

Love skyxx

happyone
18-04-09, 22:14
I was on citalopram and seem to remember it is one of the drugs that can make you feel worse before you feel better. Maybe that is the case?

Also, you saidThe doc thinks i should take my citalapram and deal with it, just wish she could see me having what i can only describe as fits when i take one. I understand it is difficult to get drs to understand how we react to things. Is it possible to make an appt and then take one so she does see? Or is that too scarey?
Diazepam....I have them but am very careful to only take them for emergencies as they are very addictive and soon you will need more and more, then your brain will tell you you are anxious, just to get more diazepam!
Happyone
xx