PDA

View Full Version : Philophobia, fear of love

kf
16-08-05, 18:03
Has anyone heard of this? I can't find much information about it, if anyone has any useful information about this or erotophobia, i'd really appreciate it.

Meg
16-08-05, 18:16
How does it affect you ?

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

kf
17-08-05, 14:59
Thanks for your reply Meg. I seem to have suffered with something since I was 17, I'm 24 now. We know that Fluoxetine keeps it at bay, and that if I take the pill (contraceptive) I have a relapse. Basically, I have major panic attacks and become obsessed with thoughts that I don't love my partner or that I have cheated on them in some way. It is like knowing that you have a terrible secret but you're not quite sure what it is. A desire to confess. It becomes quite obsessive, checking diaries, making urgent phone calls, and I have attepmted to take my own life twice. My last 'episode' was November 2003, and we all thought I was doing so well. But the doctors reduced my prescription recently and I've gone right back where I was, so I'm slowly climbing back up (having had my prescription put back up to 40mg a day). It affects my sleeping patterns, my appetite, and my concentration. It's ended 3 serious relationships now, and each time I have an episode I vow never ever to get in a relationship again in case it happens again. It might be that those relationships would have ended anyway, but I feel I've not been given the chance to have a normal relationship or break up. I don't know if this is an anxiety problem or not, if it's a symptom of depression, or what.

Gosh I certainly hope that makes sense!

Meg
17-08-05, 19:38
What sort of therapy to explore why you have this need and obsession have you had in the last few years to help this ?

As it is so specific it will have been prompted by something and improvements may be able to be achieved through a talk therapy.

Meg

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.

seh1980
17-08-05, 19:44
This sounds like what the man on "The House of Obsessive Compulsives" Channel 4 program had. He was convinced that he had confessed to a crime - like you are convinced that you have cheated on your partner. Did you see this program?

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

kf
18-08-05, 11:08
It does sound like that bloke from Obsessive Compulsives, I watched that with fascination! But they never explained how he got better, grr! I really felt for him coz I know how he feels.

As far as treatment goes, I've had a good three years of counselling, which got me more understanding but hasn't made the problem go away. I don't know, maybe I'm looking for a miracle cure that isn't out there, but I'd like to think one day I won't have to be on tablets to go on a date! I tried hypnotherapy once but possibly wasn't in the right frame of mind for it, it made me more upset. I have thought about going again though, as that was 2 years ago and I think I could cope with it now. I also go to a reiki lady every copy of months which is like meditation, it's nice and relaxing.

Thanks for being so helpful guys, I didn't think anyone would reply!

Meg
18-08-05, 11:59
Relationship doubts-anxiety related? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4811)

Meg

kf
22-08-05, 13:52
Thanks for that link Meg, I know how she feels and lots of others who feel the same. I've booked to see a hypnotherapist again to see if we can get anywhere that way. My boyfriend (ex now unfortunately) is deperate for us to go to couples counselling but I don't feel that will get us anywhere. I don't know what to do for the best, but hearing from him or seeing him makes me so anxious. Him, or anyone else I know that finds me attractive! Esshk, I'll end up and old lady with cats (except I'm allergic to cats so it'll probably be teddy bears!)

koo
27-09-06, 16:36
i saw this forum while surfing the net for info on phobias about getting into a relationship.
I'm 22 and have not been in a relationship at all. Every time I sense that someone is interested in me, I'll just back off and be very aloof to the person. The first time it happened was when i was 12 and i literally ran off when a guy who liked me passed me a gift. Subsequently the guys who were interested did not do anything that overt and i just fended them off with my negative vibes. And just thinking that someone is actually interested in me, I'll get very pressurised and frustrated.... and be very uncomfortable around that person. Even though i may like the person as well, I'll just ignore him totally and pretend I don't know that he likes me.
Think there is something wrong with me.... but don't know where i should go to seek help, cos this problem doesn't seem to be very common.