PDA

View Full Version : lets get better

purplehaze
19-04-09, 04:19
We all claim we want to get rid of our fears but I wonder if we really put in the effort to over-coming our fears. It is my belief that most of us give up because we find it very difficult to face our fears and moan that its to hard and no one understands how we feel.

Yes its difficult but not impossible

If we accept that there is no magic pill that will cure us (pills help to support but wont cure) then we need to think what will cure us or at least move us on the road to recovery.

Lets be honest, how many times have we cried "no one understands how I feel? I am so tired of feeling this way! I cant face going to the shops!"

Friends the cure is within ourselves but we need to just be a little bit stronger.

What we face everyday is not easy but it can, if we try become easier.

No one but you or I can overcome this
No one but you or I can face our fear

What one person can do an other can also do!

My old doctor as much as I disliked her was right "kev get off your backside and start doing something about it"

We can get better
We can overcome this

kate
19-04-09, 07:47
Great post and spot on :D

Kate

Danny_dingle
19-04-09, 10:06
What a good post!

I am doing something active about my anxiety and, despite the odd relapse, it is kicking it right up the bee-hind!

We can and will get better; it just takes courage and strength, you are right!

Good luck guys!

Danny xxx

mysonmarcus
19-04-09, 12:15
A good post. On a person level I am pretty aware of the effort I put into recovery or rather how much I dont.

I am also very aware that, being lazy about what thoughts I allow and what I dont, makes such a difference to my day.

By thinking of anxiety and allowing memories of defeat to linger, I charge my emotions instead of calming them.

By remembering and ruminating over places and situations I have panicked ............. and at that precise moment, not having the self discipline to do the absolute correct thing. The correct thing being to remind myself, that it is not helpful to fix my focus there........ keeps me in the fear cycle.

By not taking the time to care for my emotional good health, to laugh, to enjoy the things I can enjoy, to give love.......I am not helping myself.

By going out and not facing my fears with the RIGHT approach I am not helping myself either.

By not taking time to exercise I am not helping my condition at all.

If I rate my efforts at getting myself back to normal, its not that great.

My report card would read 'must try much harder'.

What does everyone else think about themselves?

Mark

starlight78
19-04-09, 13:04
Excellent post Purple Haze..

I know when i have had my "poor me" "This is too hard" thoughts I have always felt my worst. I'm proud of myself that I dont let those thoughts hang around.. A lot of people are a lot worse off than me and still manage to get through it, so i have no excuses.

I tend to go all out assault on my depression and anxiety when it rears its ugly head.. The walking shoes come out, I do my relaxation excersises religiously, I eat healthily, I make an extra effort to get out and do things, and i find a goal to achieve!

Taking this action always makes me feel stronger as if i'm taking the control back.

I have found Susan Jeffers books really inspiring and empowering and give them a read through if i'm feeling a bit in need of some oomph!

Thanks again Purple haze! xx

Anna C
19-04-09, 16:55
Hi Kev,

This is a great post I agree with what you say.
Sometimes it can be hard to be positive when you're feeling down, but even if you feel you can't do it alone there are people who can help. I felt like that for a long time but now mostly thanks to my CBT therapist who keeps pushing me in the right direction I'm starting to feel okay.:D

I agree that there is no magic pill or magic wand, just lots of hard work!!
I really want this to work so I am putting in the time and effort. I know what you say is true as 6 months after starting CBT I can do some things without anxiety, that I never thought I would be able to.

Anna

karenb
19-04-09, 17:56
what a great post!

Karen :)

Annguitar
19-04-09, 22:15
Hi Purplehaze, Its so encouraging to read your post - you are right, there is only ourselves who can face up to our fears and take the step. I have been trying so hard and little by little I get there. The first time is hardest, the next the anxiety a bit less. But then something happens that sets me back and it just seems never ending. You can't let these things stop you trying though, I want rid of this and I intend to beat it however long it takes. I am just learning to be a bit more patient of myself. But never give up anyone. It helps to know I am not alone in this battle.
Ann

Stressed32
19-04-09, 22:39
no truer words have been spoken.