PDA

View Full Version : Fear of being anxious

jac10
19-04-09, 11:29
Hello everyone,

I'm 25 and been suffering from anxiety for about 5 years now. Had CBT which has helped massively (I'd really recommend it to anyone suffering!) but still could do with some help! Occassionally take beta blockers but i find exercise, CBT exercises and relaxation techs more effective.

Does anyone else get really anxious about being anxious? I feel like once I've realised that I'm getting anxious I tend to freak out more and start panicking about how to make it go away. I think if i wasn't so scared of the symptoms then I'd probably break the cycle but am finding it tricky. Any suggestions?

Cheers :)

jac10
19-04-09, 11:46
Thank you! I stumbled across this website and it looks like an amazing source of support and guidance. Look forward to speaking to you all :D

xxx

belle
19-04-09, 16:39
I know what you mean ;)

Hi and welcome...

x

suzy-sue
19-04-09, 17:20
Hi and :welcome: to NMP. You will find lots of help and support here.Once you learn not to be afraid of the anxiety ,youll find the feelings arent as bad.Read up on it as much as you can,Claire weekes books are good and are available from the nmp shop. SUE

duskess
19-04-09, 20:16
Hello and welcome to NMP , Best Wishes Dusky x:welcome:

jac10
19-04-09, 23:06
Thanks for welcomes everyone :)

Also cheers for advice Sue - been reading a lot about techniques to stop fearing the symptoms of anxiety today and had a good chat with a friend. Will check out Claire Weekes books too.

I found once I started reassuring myself and telling myself the feelings would pass and weren't anything to be scared by and that i was going to be ok (not get chronically sick or anything dramatic!) i started to feel better so i'll keep at it. Not easy at first when you're mid panic! Helps knowing others understand how this feels.

:) xx

mandie
20-04-09, 00:12
hi

:welcome: to the site.

Im exactly the same, i have fear of fear which in turn just makes me worse

I have found this site so helpful and chat to some great people who are going through the same as me.

love mandie x

skyblue
20-04-09, 12:10
hi

Dont know about you,but sometimes i think am i worried about worring,or is it somthing that i need to be worried about?,or is it something major,is it worry,or am seriously ill,then i worry... so it goes on lol..........

you are not alone ((((big hug))))

skyxx

kittykat
20-04-09, 22:31
Hi there and :welcome: to the site, loads of good advice and support on here, take care xx

Southern_Belle
21-04-09, 03:21
Hi Jac,

Welcome to NMP. Many here will understand how you have been feeling and will give their support.

Take care,

Laura

Patty
21-04-09, 11:27
Hi Jac, :hugs:

:welcome: to NMP. It's great that you've joined. There is so much information & help here.

Best wishes :flowers:

reallyfedup
21-04-09, 12:09
:welcome: to the club! Am exactly the same x

jac10
23-04-09, 19:46
Thanks everyone, really great to know others feel the same. Sometimes i look around at people and just start thinking "they all look so relaxed, why can't i just be like that!" Which is silly anyway, as people often don't realise i'm anxious when i am!

I'm a terrible perfectionist too and also have a real fear of upsetting or offending people.

The trouble I have with making mistakes is that I worry about whether I've learnt from them properly. E.g. if i make a really small mistake like saying the wrong thing i'll worry loads about me doing it again and start obsessing about how to avoid it in future. The thought of stopping this and just thinking "opps i made a mistake, nevermind though!" scares me to death! Although just admitting i've made a mistake means i've learnt something so dunno why i'm so anxious about repeating it.

Does anyone else worry about repeating mistakes?

Cheers, Jo xxx

(I forgot to say, jac are my initials hehe)

jac10
24-04-09, 18:03
P.s. Had a good think since yesterday and think i'm going to make a really conscious effort when i make mistakes to learn what I can from them and then move on. Might be tricky though! xx

hunter2124
24-04-09, 18:44
i get were your coming from jac10. i am more anxious think or worrying about havin an attack. i avoid thing if i think ill hav one.

as for the mistakes thing i hate thm if i make on it can cause n attck for fear of been conforted about it , on a training day i answered something incorected and some ppl laughed the set an attack off , plus i now wont answer qs .

Romo
28-04-09, 23:49
Hello everyone,

I'm 25 and been suffering from anxiety for about 5 years now. Had CBT which has helped massively (I'd really recommend it to anyone suffering!) but still could do with some help! Occassionally take beta blockers but i find exercise, CBT exercises and relaxation techs more effective.

Does anyone else get really anxious about being anxious? I feel like once I've realised that I'm getting anxious I tend to freak out more and start panicking about how to make it go away. I think if i wasn't so scared of the symptoms then I'd probably break the cycle but am finding it tricky. Any suggestions?

Cheers :)

yes, that is what i'm anxious about. It didn't start that way but now I have nothing to fear but fear itself. try exercising ( running or something where u sweat a lot, not just walking and remember to strech a lot!!). I started again and feel the most normal after.

Dreamer029
29-04-09, 02:31
Hit the nail right on the head there. It seems to be a sense of fear that you cannot control the panic, so in turn you panic because you feel helpless that you have no control over it.

jac10
29-05-09, 22:07
Hi guys,

Does anyone have any tips about how to stop fearing the symptoms of anxiety as much? Had a bit of a bad day and can't stop panicking :(

gemma.l
29-05-09, 22:36
Heyy jac10. Yes I have the same problem now. It probably sounds so stupid but I haven't had a full blown panic attack for a few month now.. but I'm trapped in my area just incase I have one. =\
I'm so scared about having one it's stopping me from going places..

What's CBT? x

Dreamer029
30-05-09, 05:11
Its helpful to identify a possible trigger when it starts. Like I'll say to myself: ooh I shouldn't have had that cup of coffee this morning...etc. I think about what I'm going to do after the attack and just try and accept it for what it is...okay this has happened before, and it's gotten better before so I will be just fine.

I used to not be able to control the attacks at all and they took over, I do find now that I can shorten them, even sometimes stop them as they begin. It's all a sense of control.

jac10
05-06-09, 18:21
Heya,

CBT is cognitive behavioural therapy - helps you see alteratives to the ways you think which can really help. I'd recommend it to anyone suffering anxiety! xxx