PDA

View Full Version : has anyone tried meditation?

peppercchook
19-04-09, 14:39
has anyone achieved satisfactory results with this method of lowering anxiety?

shaka
19-04-09, 17:58
Hi peppercchook
Two years ago i meditated every night started of just doing 10 mins
then going on to 40 mins at the same time every night .
I achieved wonderful results iwent on to do a meditation course which i loved getting out agian meeting people.
Then after the death of my mother i found it hard everytime i sat my mind would go through my mums illness and i was back to the begining sky high anxiety.
So now i feel its time to start the healing through meditation agian ive started twices a week for ten mins
I know practising will take me back on the right path
Give it a try good luck
love Shaka x

Allye
19-04-09, 18:01
I have tried it but find it hard to concentrate (or not as the case may be). I am sure it is just a matter of keeping trying

Meltdown
19-04-09, 18:45
I tried meditation, and found it to be brilliant!

It takes a while to get the "knack" of it, and I don't profess to being particularly adept at it, but I did find it very calming, and gives your confidence and powers of concentration a boost which lasts into the next day or two!

As some one once said, the secret to being good at meditation is not to try too hard to be good at it!

I also read that the mind is like a monkey, constantly jumping from branch to branch. With meditation, you at least confine it to one branch!

I don't get much time to practice it these days, as time is scarce, and it is hard to fit around my other hobbies of photography and music, but it's a bit like going to the gym - a pain to motivate yourself to go there, but worth it afterwards!

starlight78
19-04-09, 21:31
I'm trying to learn this now.. at the moment i'm doing more guided imagery and mindfulness. I'm finding it fantastic and really helpful to unwind in the evening xx

bel25
19-04-09, 23:28
Hiya
Duno if yoga is included in meditation (i think it is). I do this for about 20 mins each night and works wonders! I also go to a yoga class once a week and swimming twice a week,works brilliantly! Good luck with it!
xxx

melody
20-04-09, 09:12
I used to think meditation didn't work, but with persistence I have made some progress. I like to imagine inspiring things like riding unicorns, or dancing in the clouds or butterflies playing & circling around each other. That works for me because I love nature & animals. Sometimes I use colour chakra meditation which is a hippy thing that's supposed to cure physical & emotional unwellness. If you picture a white light flowing through your entire body while you relax out your muscles, it's supposed to revitalise & heal the body & soul. It makes me feel a little closer to peace. Sometimes it turns bad. Then I accept that that's how I'm feeling that day, but my imagination/subconcious has told me why. It helps with my self awareness.

Meditation has a lot to do with patience and perervering, even if it feels like it's not working. If you practice every week it gets a little easier. I think the trick is to figure out what makes you happy in your hopes & dreams & visualise that. Everyone is very individual about these things. There are so many different ways to meditate, so I assume there must be a style for everyone that would work.

PUGLETMUM
20-04-09, 12:32
:yesyes: yes doing mindfulness and am making brilliant progress despite having a life that many ppl would consider depressing - it helps us to cope and to deal with life when its less than perfect - i highly recommend jon kabat zinn's material:yesyes:

happyone
20-04-09, 20:39
Guided meditations/relaxations are a good stepping stone to doing your own meditations. I used to do a guided one every single day and definately gained benefits. I then began to do short ones with mixed success. I have let them lapse.....maybe it is no coincedence that my mental health is not as good as it has been?

Happyone
xx

Meewah
25-04-09, 01:54
Hi

I have had an interested in meditation since I was a child. When my Anxiety became a problem I turned to it seriously for the last resort and I haven't looked back. I listen to the teachings from both Mahayana and Theravada traditions and have found that the Buddhist philosophy fits my belief system best.

I recently started a FREE course with Dr ForsythPHD and Dr Eifert PHD called the Mindfulness and acceptance workbook for anxiety where they teach you that anxiety is normal and to allow it to happen without fighting it. They get you to meditate and bring on the worse thoughts without interacting with them so when you experience it in an everyday event you do not allow it to stop you living. I have to say so far it has been excellent but with 3 years of meditation behind me I have to say I had the foundations to move forward with this new study course.

In summary Meditation has given me what CBT and meds could not. The Buddhist philosophy has helped me deal with my fear of illness and death which in turn helps my meditation and anxiety levels. I still lose control now and again but this time I realise the symptoms early on and start to apply a mindful approach rather than running away or stopping in my tracks.

Keep meditating it gets to the point where you can just apply your skills whenever you are stuggling. It is important to try to keep up a daily routine but not beat yourself up if you miss a day. The more you practice the deeper the meditation goes and the easier it is to relax your mind on demand. Go to meditation classes to keep up the motivation.

Good look.

Mee