PDA

View Full Version : hello ive just joined

paul
29-12-03, 16:18
hello everyone, ive just joined this forum.what ill do is explain my problem as briefly as i can,otherwise i might go off on a tangem.i have anxiety and ocd(obbsessive compulsive disorder)for about 7 years now.i still get anxiety attacks and i do rituals to try and help with my anxiety.for example i would check what i consider to be standard safety objects,(plugs,switches,etc)repeatedly and also place things certain ways(on the floor is a usual place).i also think about certain things when doing a task to make it be ok,certain images would pop into my head.it can get frustrating and can get me down.i was on medication for about 4 years(imipramine)to help me get on my feet.i have been on no med for about 3 years now,its a very up and down experience.ive been in and out of therapy,one of the more successful treatments was exposure and response prevention therapy,which helped me but i found it hard to stick too.sometimes i consider other medication,especially to help me with ocd,but im not sure.if i can somehow deal with my anxiety then the rituals and the actual anxiety it self should decrease.that is about it for now as i dont want to drag it on too much.i wish everyone well and ill post more stuff ,maybe i could offer advice in some way too.all the best paul

Meg
29-12-03, 17:58
Welcome Paul.

Glad to see you've been posting already . Thanks , it's always good to have new views.

Well done for being so sucessful in helping yourself...

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

nomorepanic
30-12-03, 18:36
Hi Paul

Good to talk to you in the chat room the other day.

If the exposure therapy helped, can you not get some more?

Nicola

Prettyface110
31-12-03, 14:51
Hi Paul,

I also enjoyed talking to you in the chatroom the other day. Hope to do it again sometime.

prettyface110

stimpy
31-12-03, 19:04
Bright Blessings to you, good to see you posting.

Best wishes Liz (Stimpy) xxx

Laurie28
05-01-04, 14:30
Welcome to the site Paul

Love
Lucky

paul
05-01-04, 16:55
thanks for the welcome everyone,im sure well exchange more posts or chat again.in reply to your question nicola,im currently waiting to see a psychiatrist to discuss options about treatment.the exposure therapy did help me to try and deal with my anxiety,but i just needed to stick with it,which i found hard.however ill consider giving it another go as the theory of it sounds like the most direct root to tackle my problems,especially with my ocd rituals.ive probably mentioned this before but i have also considered trying medication again,but one that helps with ocd.ive heard of a good med for it but cannot remember the name.ive read somewhere that sometimes combing medication with therapy(cbt for instance can)help.oh i have to ask someone for advice on how to create a paragraph on this post.ive looked at my keyboard but im not sure how to do it(its probably simple to do but i havent worked it out yet lol).take care all paul.

nomorepanic
05-01-04, 21:34
Paul

That is good to hear - let us know how it goes.

CBT combined with some medication is probably the way forward for you.

To do paragraphs hit the return/enter key (on the right hand side of the keyboard - the big key)

Nicola

Buby
05-01-04, 22:11
hi paul. i would of spoken to you before but i cant come to chat. but i will probably read and reply to your posts. and welcome to our family of friends.
hugs rachel aka ratchit.