PDA

View Full Version : Diazepam addiction, am i being silly...?

Lawton86
19-04-09, 22:16
Hey guys,

As you all know im 22 and was prescribed Diazepam last week for my bad panic attacks. The doctor told me to take them when i feel like im having a bad day or when i feel a bad panic attack coming on.

My problem is because im new to panic attacks and have constant de-reaization most my days seem bad and i am generally takking 4-6mg a day. ive only been taking them for 5 days now, but i feel like if someone took them away and i never could have them again it would be a major problem to me. is it possible that i am getting addicted so early on?

Also the last 2 weeks ma mum has had 2 weeks off and has looked after me as she works in a school so they had their hlidays. But now everyone is back at work 2morrow and i will be al by myself and i think i will have a panic attack because im so scared of being alone and having one that it generally brings one on when i alone. this will mean that ill probs be on 6mg a day when no1 is in the house with me. i feel so bad at 22 being like this and even worse that 4 weeks ago i was a normal outgoing 22 year old. hmmm :( having a hard night

sb001f8994
19-04-09, 22:36
hiya
your not silly to worry, i thought i was addicted to diazapam, id taken them a long time, from when i was sixteen to 27 when my doctor just refused to give me any more. i was in a terrible state, i felt like my world had ended. i did not get withdrawl symptoms but felt i couldn't cope without my life savers. i did cope, it was a mind over matter thing, once i realised i didn't need the pills (2mg) and they hardly made a difference to me i got over it. ive been pill free for 20 years now, i think your doctor prescribed them because he knows you best and feels you need them, take them and dont worry. ive been offered prozac but have refused, im doing ok with out meds. i get panic attacks but find myslef something to do, hoovering, ironing, cleaning out the cupboards...boring i know but it works for me.i hope you fell better soon. i dont like being alone, none of us do if we are honest. im alone for at least six hours day, do you have a pet? my dog is my company but i love it when everyone is home.
best wishes
Carol xx

tom1
22-04-09, 03:00
Just be careful with them. I was given some diazepam for several weeks, and I could definitely see how a person could get addicted. They do work, but the price is your body will become addicted to them and then they will stop working and you will need to keep taking them because you can't stop cold turkey.

WillLatch
25-04-09, 15:30
Hello you.. I'm a good chunk of years older than you but going through a similar "condition" at present. I have a forum on the go called "CBT - A Fresh Start" in the Therapy section on the left. I've been on Diazepam 2mgs x 3 a day for just 3 weeks and managed without for a whole week. But all my "rubbish" kicked off again on Tuesday so I've been on the 3 a day since.. have JUST taken a 3rd today to TRY and contain the horrible unpleasant "tummy feeling" thing. I've also had Zolpidem for 3 nights to help me sleep and I THINK that the two don't go well together.

I would say it was very unlikely to become addicted to Diazepam in such a short period of time. But it doesn't stop our heads worrying about it! :-)

If you can find the time to try and follow my forum you'll find what OTHERS SAY as well in response to my writings and hopefully that will give you some comfort. All the very best and welcome to NMP. WillLatch.