PDA

View Full Version : Positive Thinking.

mick_uk
20-04-09, 08:48
Don't you think that sometimes in life no matter what you do, how hard you try, how much 'positive thinking' you have, you still don't get the break in life you need.
I'm eating well, trying to get as much sleep as I can, doing all the relaxation exercises I can, trying to think positive, in fact doing all the things I have been told I need to do to get over this anxiety period, but still it seems I take one step forward and three steps back!
I made it a news year resolution to really get this anxiety sorted out this year, but ever since then,i've had a run of what seems like neverending illnesses coupled with just a general feeling of not being 'right', and that just seem to hinder every good intention I have. Nothing major,but constant flu/cold/sinus/ear infections. I wake up full of optimism but it doesn't take long for that to be squashed. All the positive thinking in the world doesn't seem to help.
I wish I knew what I had to do now. Some people have the ability to get on with life no matter what it throws at them, my brother is one of them, but I seem to be unable to cope with even little setbacks. Everything seems such a trial at the moment.
Pffffft
Sorry about the rant,but another night of poor sleep and the thought of another day of battling this just caused me to write this.
take care
mick

reallyfedup
20-04-09, 09:06
I feel exactly the same. I pray to be able to wake up calm and refreshed but I am always anxious in the morning and overtired from little sleep and the whole day just pans out the same. All the positive talk in the world doesnt take any of it away either!?!? Yes, what now I ask constantly? X:shrug:

bex1970
20-04-09, 16:07
I often feel like that - determined to get on and not worry. Never works! A counsellor I saw once told me that it is a classic symptom of Health Anxiety. We are desperate to feel 'normal' but are too scared to in case we miss a symptom, or tempt fate in some way. Ever had one day where you didn't worry about a potential illness, then panicked that you hadn't worried about it/something and created one....

Welcome to my world. You're not alone....
xx

lauren6
20-04-09, 19:40
Bex, you hit on such an interesting point. I have had days where nothing hurts and I'm not troubled at all and then it's like I have to find something because it's too good to be true. Not consciously, but something makes me stir up a symptom or fear.

The experts stress cognitive therapy for this but I really wish I could analyze this more and find out why we have a need to do this. Mine goes back to childhood and I haven't quite figured it out yet. I have to say I so enjoy the days where I am just "normal". Today I have a pain but have an event to go to tonight that's really important and I told myself I will just ignore it and stop obsessing because I have had it before and am not going to let it ruin my fun. Sometimes I have to just mentally bat myself over the head and curse the fear.

MoodyBlue
20-04-09, 20:04
I think the more you think concentrate on feeling 'normal' the less normal you feel. I don't believe you can just move on from anxiety, something has to change with your behaviour pattern. It may be something very small, but it will make all the difference. When you have felt unwell for such a long period of time it must be very difficult to break the cycle. I would try reading a self-help book if you haven't or don't wish to consider therapy. They are a useful way of thinking about things in a different way and have helped me.

Hope you get that break soon!

julieb
20-04-09, 20:10
Hi, I know exactly how you feel. I feel like i'm fighting an endless battle. Worst of it is when my partner says things like " when are you going to wake up and say I feel great today!" or " Just once it would be nice if you weren't ill!"
Then I feel really guilty and depressed and pretend i'm fine when i'm not just because I can't face to see the disappointed look on his face. As if we don't have enough to feel crap about.

Just keep your chin up mate.

ju xxx

krog
20-04-09, 20:12
Great post.
I feel exactly the same.
For most of today I have been feeling fine and then today I came home from work with a mild tension headache and bam! all of a sudden my health anxiety kicks in and I feel like I am heading for a panic attack or something worse !

Even though I know nothing is wrong, my irrational thoughts take over and before long I feel like I am losing control.

Four hours later and things are gradually coming back to normal but the residual aftershock of this episode will probably be with me for the next few days.

Oh well, another day living with this anxiety and I'm still in one piece :D

Good wishes to all who live with this blight !

Cheers
krog.

melody
21-04-09, 08:47
Hi Mick,
I find some types of positive thinking unrealistic, then I don't believe it and it makes me feel frustrated. I make sure I only tell myself things I can believe. I don't have to be serene, I need to calm down a little bit. I don't have to love myself, but maybe I can believe I'm sort of OK. I don't need to be cured right now, I would like to make a little progress each month towards feeling like I'm on the right track & getting closer to being in control.

I'm the opposite. I am not a morning person :)

Be kind to yourself

mick_uk
21-04-09, 09:26
Thanks all for answering.
It just gets so frustrating each day when you don't see any change.
You do all the 'right' things and still you get knocked back. It makes it so hard to carry on a normal life when you feel this way. I guess it's makes you appreciate how you felt when you were okay.
All the books and advice says it will take time, but it's managing until that time arrives that drags me down. Seems like I'm spending all my time just getting through the day at the moment instead of enjoying it.
pffffffft
:D
take care

mick

expecto patronum
21-04-09, 10:36
I think the key thing here (and this seems to be really common with people with anxiety) is that you're putting yourself under loads of pressure to not be anxious, or to sort out your problems in a set amount of time. When I wake up thinking "I really want to not get anxious today" I end up being hyper-vigilant for signs of anxiety, then panic when I do get anxious, and ultimately end up feeling like I've failed and feeling angry with myself (telling myself I'm pathetic etc). The best frame of mind that I find helps me stay calm is to be self-accepting, by telling myself that it doesn't make me a weak or bad person if I do get anxious and that it's not the end of the world if I do get anxious, but that at the same time I will miss out on loads of interesting stuff, so I would prefer not to get anxious!

expecto patronum
21-04-09, 10:47
Also, worrying that your anxiety affects others, whether it's worrying that it makes your work colleagues feel uncomfortable, or that it upsets your partner, again puts you under pressure. I've come to realise that you really can't afford to worry about it, that I can't always control others feelings/reactions to me, and trying to just ends up with you tying yourself in knots! Just remember that other people's feelings aren't always your responsibilty, and let yourself off worrying about them too much. This isn't being selfish, because, when you worry less about it, you're aleviating some of the pressure on yourself, which in turn should help with your anxiety. I usually tell my boyfriend when I've had an anxious day (he can always tell anyway!) and sum up how I've been feeling/what my worries have been; as long as you don't complain constantly, people who care about you should be understanding :)