PDA

View Full Version : How do i cope with this air hungar?

anx mum
20-04-09, 10:22
Does anyone know how i deal with this air hungar really scareing me getting a suffocatting feeling.:mad:

Katiex
20-04-09, 11:36
I get this so bad that my legs and arms feel heavy and like I'm moving in slow motion then I start to collapse to one side as if I'm so out of breath. I actually called an abulance once I was so embarrassed afterwards.

I cope now by breathing into a paper bag or my hands and breathe slowly and deeply. I also find fresh air helps and a cup of tea lol.

Aside from that CBT helps with this.

If I feel the breathlessness coming on I do as much as I can to take my mind off it, clean, do dishes, clean the bathroom, anything that stops me frm thinking.

It really is an awful symptom of anxiety. Today I feel like I can't be bothered breathing for myself and keep holding my breath without me actually thinking I am. It seemsto take ove does't it and you feel like theres no control. Hope you feel better soon.

Hugs x x x x

mysonmarcus
20-04-09, 11:42
Hi

Anything you 'try' to do (to remove anxiety) will just add tension, instead get involved (the best you can even if its not so successful) in something you have to think hard at and concentrate on (as hard as it will be at first). It has to be something challenging, not the washing up or ironing as these regular tasks are repetetive and pre-conditioned so are are automatically controlled and wont require the problem solving side of the brain.

The problem solving side of your mind is actively working on figuring out a way out of anxiety and it cant, it needs something else to do. cya

Nicola_lou
20-04-09, 23:38
Hi, this is the worst symtom I have ever had. Because we try to take over our breathing. The average person breaths 14 breaths per minute. When we get air hunger we hyperventerlate cause we watch every breath and we do 20 odd per min. If you find yourself getting dizzy with it like I do, try doing 10 breaths per minute.
The only thing I find that helps it breathing in count to 7 hold for 15 sec if you can, then breath out and count to 11. The only other thing I found that helped is distraction.