PDA

View Full Version : CONSTANT CHECKING

jen
16-08-05, 23:47
Hi Guys

These last 6 months or so i have been constantly convincing myself that I have got something wrong with me.

Any pain in my stomach and i think its my appendix , a headache and im convinced i got a brain tumour, aches and pains and ive got arthritis.

I know im worrying about nothing now, but when i get these different pains ive absolutley convinced myself im going to die,
I have got a habit of always checking the symptoms up on the internet, ill do this each and everytime , and of course 9 times out of 10 it confoirms my woarst fears.
its quite frightening when it happens !!

Does anyone else do this ??

Cheers

jenx [xx(]

helen__w
16-08-05, 23:54
Hi Jen

I do this too! I am aware of every twinge, ache, pain etc! I even get freaked out if I come over too tired and think I'm actually going to faint!

My doctor prescribed me a book called 'Stop worrying about your health', I have only just started reading it but what I've read I realise that I am becoming obsessed with my health and its spiralling out of control and it has a self help section on cognitive behavioural therapy to help you change your behaviour. It might help you to look at this as I know when you look up symptoms on the internet you can send yourself into a panic as you can convince yourself you have everything!

Take care

Helen x

mandie
17-08-05, 00:27
Hi Jen

Im exactly like that. I dramatise everything. Headache is brain tumour, dizzyness is a stroke etc. I am obsessed with my health. I am concious of every ache and pain and always analyze them.

I have had horrible headache for past few days on and off so naturally think I have brain tumour.

I had to throw away my big medical book because I was constantly looking up my symptoms. I wont check the net anymore for the same reason.

Love A

mandie
17-08-05, 00:31
Hi Jen

Im exactly like that. I dramatise everything. Headache is brain tumour, dizzyness is a stroke etc. I am obsessed with my health. I am concious of every ache and pain and always analyze them.

I have had horrible headache for past few days on and off so naturally think I have brain tumour.

I had to throw away my big medical book because I was constantly looking up my symptoms. I wont check the net anymore for the same reason.

Love A

jen
17-08-05, 01:03
thanks for your replys its a relief that im not alone!

Sometimes i have to wake myself up if i feel myself drifting into a deep sleep , because im convinced i wont wake up in the morning !!

I wish i knew why I think im going to die all the time, most days i think my times up.

thanks

jen x[xx(]

helen__w
17-08-05, 01:08
Oh Jen I can relate SO much - that is why I stay up so late because I am afraid to sleep!

If you want to chat please PM me :D

Helen x

Madwoman
17-08-05, 11:55
its great to know im not dying alone, its also reassuring that other people have these dark thoughts.

Do you check out where the hospitals are if your away from home? I do. I know the doctors wont help me so I find out where the hospitals are just in case they can save me.

When I am rational I think well why do I think these thoughts, i must be barmy but then something sets me off and it all starts again.

luv Txx

lin
17-08-05, 12:03
Hi Jen

I too was doing this checking all the time, my anxiety was really high at the time even went to the doctors convinced there was something wrong had blood tests done for nearly everything but they all came back ok. The only thing i worry about is the ectopic heartbeats.

Hopefully for u this checking will stop when u feel a better it did for me.

linda xx

Meg
17-08-05, 14:12
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/healthanxiety.htm

The Battle that Rages in my Head (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4149)
contiuously obsessed with dying (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2691)
'what if this is it this time thoughts' (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4694)
can someone reasure me? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3931)

I hope you've contacted the researcher who was looking for people to do a HA programme, she only wanted a chat to start with . You have lots to offer. Its under media and research

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

pinkscrumpy
17-08-05, 14:27
Glad I'm not the only one.

What are we all like LOL.

MANDIE XX

Will I ever escape this?
Will I ever be free?
Wake me up from this nightmare.
Please just give me the key!

BrandyS
17-08-05, 17:59
I have also had the problems with checking and also with thinking that I am going to croak at any minute!

When all of this 1st started, I was having probs with High blood pressure--(not anymore)--I would check my blood pressure about 100 times a day--so much that I bruised my arm with the cuff.....

After I got over that, the palpitations started, and I would find myself constantly checking my pulse....

I am so glad that I am not alone....I have thought at times that I am going absolutely Bonkers!!
Brandy

sadie
17-08-05, 18:43
Helen,

What is the author of the book the doctor has prescribed to you and where did you get it?

sadie

helen__w
17-08-05, 18:48
Hi Sadie

Its called 'Stop worrying about your Health' by George Zgourides

I got it in my local library - apparently it can be ordered in if its not in stock. I cant believe how much sense it actually makes! Hope this helps

Helen x

michelleann
17-08-05, 19:21
im exactley the same
anything out of the ordinary and ive got some serious illness, i think alot has do with the media if i read something about someone that something bad has happened to them and they are about my age thats it i constantly think about it.
take care everyone:D
love michelle xxx

Piglet
17-08-05, 19:56
My health has improved dramatically since I stopped going on google!!!!

Love Piglet:)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

GAD
17-08-05, 22:12
Hi pinkscrumpy

just felt that i had to say that i love your quote as it sums up how i feel everyday!!

ps i also think that im dying of everything imaginable (currently its breathing problems and asthma!) but it so great reading all these messages just to reassure me that im not alone and that it more than possible to recover (again!!)

GADXX

kazo
17-08-05, 22:39
Hi, You are not alone with this. Every night I check myself for spots to make sure I haven't got shingles. I look up any aches I get on the internet too. I look into each pain I have in detail and think I could have this and I could have that. Then I worry and can't get to sleep as I think I wont wake up. Why do we do this? kazo

pinkscrumpy
17-08-05, 23:25
Hi GAD

Glad you like the quote. Yeh i feel like that every day to.

I've been suffering for six years now and still can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I trod on a nail this morning and it went through my foot, but i have managed to convince myself that it will all get infected and i will develope a clot that will travel to my heart and kill me. How stupid is that LOL.

Take care flower

MANDIE XX

Will I ever escape this?
Will I ever be free?
Wake me up from this nightmare.
Please just give me the key!

jen
17-08-05, 23:47
hi all

thanks for the replys , looks like there is alot of us with the same thoughts!!

sometimes at night when my husbands asleep i will check to see if he is still breathing, as im petrafied that one of us is going to die in our sleep.

TAKE CARE

jen x

Sue K with 5
18-08-05, 01:50
All the time Jen,

I have had most conditions in the history of british medicine so dont worry.

I even had malaria once, and I dont go abroad. this is all typical of health anxiety related issues

I have learnt now to not check the internet it can make you worse,best thing I find when I feel like this is to sleep it off or just do something interesting to take your mind off it like I am now

tc

sue with 5

scknight

Meg
18-08-05, 11:55
Mandie

Forget the clot .. but if it drew blood and is a used nail please check that your tetanus up to date - not that I think you are at high risk but its the health promoter in me .

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

leslie_ve
18-08-05, 16:46
hi im the same i must drive my docs mad. everyday i get a new symptom, if its a headache i think the worse and panic if i get legs pains i think deep vein thrombosis, a fast heartbeat a heart attack pains in stomach or diaorea, then i think ive got cancer. its verry hard and although you no in your own mind its nr impossible to die of 20 illnesses in one go it dont stop you from panicing. the way i deal with it is too think exactly that....

joross
18-08-05, 22:20
Hi

Its so good to know I am not the only one who has these thoughts. I worry about dying just about every dayand leaving my hubby and 3 kids behind freaks me out. I check my pulse constantly and every ache I feel I think of the worst senario possible and believe thats whats going to happen. I have sore muscles I think I'm developing ms, I have a headache and its a tumour, if I feel tired I must have chronic fatigue syndrome - could it possibly be because I have 3 young demanding kids and I'm still up twice a night feeding the youngest? No it must be something serious. How do you stop this irrational thinking. I don't watch hospital dramas any more because I'd suffer from the illnesses the next day!

Jo

jen
19-08-05, 13:37
My main worry is because im always saying i got something wrong with me,( thats feels real at the time), im scared that when there is i wont be taken seriously and i will die !!

take care

jen x

monicachristine
26-09-08, 02:55
I'm 17, and im the same way. =/