PDA

View Full Version : Back from breast clinic - cant stop crying

tashbarnes87
20-04-09, 12:30
Hi guys, i am devestated after being seen by the breast doctor who felt my lump and said he wasnt concerned as i have just had a baby etc but will send me for an ultrasound any way. Had the ultrasound and i can only describe what looked like a big jelly bean was on the screen she said theres some doubt wether its a cyst of not and needs to biopsy it straight away. I had that done which i cried all the way through and then need to wait until friday for the results. If it was nothing to worry about why did it need to be biopsyed, why have i got no answers? and i am now petrified its breast cancrer. I feel so sick & cant stop crying help!

jodie
20-04-09, 12:36
hi tash

i will give you a hug first:hugs: i would say try calm down but i know i would be feeling the same way hun

but try thinking no amount of worry will do anything but make you feel ill ect ,i would think they have done the biopsy just to make sure ,i mean they can not let you go just thinking it is a cyst or a fatty lump even .
i guess they are just making sure of what it is and what they are going to do about it .

jodie xxx

Trixie
20-04-09, 12:41
Hi guys, i am devastated after being seen by the breast doctor who felt my lump and said he wasnt concerned as i have just had a baby etc but will send me for an ultrasound any way. Had the ultrasound and i can only describe what looked like a big jelly bean was on the screen she said theres some doubt whether its a cyst of not and needs to biopsy it straight away. I had that done which i cried all the way through and then need to wait until friday for the results. If it was nothing to worry about why did it need to be biopsied, why have i got no answers? and i am now petrified its breast cancer. I feel so sick & cant stop crying help!

It has to be biopsied not because it is anything iffy but to put your mind at rest.

Peggysl
20-04-09, 13:47
Awwww Tash,

So sorry you're so unhappy today. Not a nice thing to have to go through, but at least it's been done now and you can get some answers.
They are so on the ball, that if there is anything at all, you'll hear very quickly and get it sorted out.
Easier said than done, to try and relax till Friday, but terrible waiting for results. Just know we are all rooting for you........

Love PegsX

amandaj
20-04-09, 14:11
must be horrible having to wait but im sure there just being cautious, im same ive got a blood test this week and connvinced its going to be bad, think we do when we got ha try to keep your chin up i know its easier said than done if ever need a chat can always pm im part of the furniture here now

amandaxx

nanny
20-04-09, 14:18
Hi

I'm really sorry your so unhappy at the moment.

Hopefully i can give you maybe a little reassurance. I have had to have mamograms in the past for lumps, the last one being i had a lump like a pea, they sent me straight up the hospital which scared me silly as you can imagine, done a mamogram and found it was just mastitis, lots of lumpy breast tissue.
Although you feel panicked by them sending you up there, at least you are been looked after and cared for, also you would be treated quiclky if need be. Please try not to get into too much of a state, and try to be positive (easier said than done i know) In the meantime my thoughts are with you and i wish you all the good luck in the world.:hugs:

lauren6
20-04-09, 14:26
Tash, she used the word cyst, not tumor. Like everyone else here said, they have to be sure. I also had a biopsy and it was nothing. Many women have fibrocystic breasts which is totally harmless and normal, just lumpy breasts! I just went through a waiting thing too for a week and tried to distract myself with movies, you just take it day by day. I got some helpful suggestions online by typing in "waiting for test results".

Jan63
20-04-09, 14:37
Tash try not to panic, although I know how hard that is cos I do it too.:hugs: As you know I had a cyst in January but 15 years ago I had a lump which wasn't a cyst and I had to have a needle biopsy too. I had to wait two weeks for the results which nearly killed me but everything turned out okay as I'm sure it will do for you too, and it was a fibrodoma or a breast mouse. I chose to have it removed because I knew it would bother me if it was there and had it removed a few months later.

Piglet
20-04-09, 15:16
I too had a breast cyst about 18 months ago and like you had a biopsy .... this is just par for the course love and not at all unusual. I also had a mammogram the same day and then spent a very unpleasant couple of weeks waiting for the results.

The way I managed to get through waiting for results was to keep myself as occupied as I could - which also had the effect of me feeling a sense of achievement at the end of each day. I had a massive clear out of all the house which was very theraputic.

Sometimes difficult situations can push us forwards and make us grow.

Love Piglet :flowers:

bex1970
20-04-09, 15:46
Tash - you poor love - you must be feeling so worried. But my lump was also biopsied.... and the wait is so scary. It turned out to be a cyst. But because you are breast feeding it could be anything from fatty tissue to a blocked duct. Try not to panic. We'll be thinking of you. :hugs:

worriedem
20-04-09, 16:10
try and stay calm and plan yourself a busy week that way the wait will fly by im sure its nothing with having a baby and breastfeeding you re bound to get a lot of harmless changes in your breast xxx

Trish
20-04-09, 16:11
Tash i am thinking of you hun it's awful having to wait for results but reading the posts of others that have been where you are right now is very encourging.

Sending you big :bighug1:

Trish x

RosieXXX
20-04-09, 17:00
Hello Tash,

Just a little message to let you know I am thinking about you, and to send you a big hug:bighug1: I know how awful it is waiting for results, and how impossible it is not to worry, but before you know it Friday will be here and gone. Even if your lump isn't a cyst it doesn't mean to say it is anything sinister - we can get all sorts of lumps and bumps which are perfectly harmless, and it is just a normal routine procedure to check these things out. I know how worried you are, and how difficult it must be to feel reassured - but with all things considered - especially your age and the fact you have just had a baby - makes it all the more likely that this lump is perfectly ok. :hugs:

tashbarnes87
20-04-09, 17:14
Hi all thanks for all the comments I'm just so worried and scared and keep breaking down. She was so vague and ithought I would leave with a definite. I just keep thinking the worst. Plus I am in pain where she did the biopsy. Did those who had biopsys did you have the core biopsy? I'm worried because I thought she would attempt to drain it. Don't know what to do with myself :(

bex1970
20-04-09, 17:22
I didn't have the core one no - but I was sore in the area with just the liquid one...
Tash, you will be ok, she was vague because she is unable to give you definites, doctors never do until they read results - it's just the way they are - but she did say she wasn't that concerned because you were breast feeding and it was probably a change in the breast. But they have to be thorough. Keep posting on here until Friday and we'll all support you. xx

MVP123
20-04-09, 17:34
Hi Tash, I know exactly how you are feeling, so I'm not gonna tell you not to worry, cause you will anyway. With me I am waiting for results on some abnormal cells from my smear that I had removed a couple of weeks ago, and I have been through every emotion going. I have found that reading has helped distract me slightly and also the support I have had from this site and another one has helped me get through. Keep yourself busy and talk to as many people as you can about how you are feeling, Friday will be here so fast and we are all here to support you xx

tashbarnes87
20-04-09, 18:34
I have just scared myself too, why did the nurse do a core biopsy not a needle one? does that mean she thinks its cancer, :( has anyone had one and been ok??

RosieXXX
20-04-09, 19:02
Hello Tash,

It doesn't mean she thinks you have cancer. I think a core biopsy can be more accurate than needle aspiration; sometimes they can't get a proper reading with the aspiration, and have to do it again. At least with this method they can get a good sample and it is over and done with.

jellybean43
20-04-09, 19:17
Hi Tash
I just wanted to say I am thinking about you. I know how worried you must be but please try and think positive.I thought i had lymphoma about 18 months ago and I was referred the SAME DAY to the hospital for an chest X ray. I nearly freaked out( and I am a lot older than you!!). I was crying to my OH and I was totally convinced that the Dr was sending me for these tests cos they thought i had lymphoma.
When i had had the X ray i asked the nurse(or whatever she is called) if she could see anything on the screen and she said " awww it looks ok but you will have to wait for the results---I cant tell you anything!!".
I had ten long days to wait and I was convinced it was cancer. I was fine though and I feel sure you will be.
Stay strong------thinking about you hun xxx

Jan63
20-04-09, 19:28
I had a needle biopsy but it was 15 years ago so not sure that core biopsy was around then. Maybe the core one gives sooner results than the needle one because I had to wait two weeks for mine. Do you have to phone for the results on Friday?

Loads and loads of hugs for you Tash :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

Hmm mine might have been a needle aspiration rather than a needle biopsy - I thought they were the same. I have read that a core biopsy is a method used more than needle aspiration now.

tashbarnes87
20-04-09, 20:36
Hi all, have to go back to clinic on friday at 10 for the results. God i have had enough i really feel like something good always comes with some thing cr ap. My whole family are talking like i have breast cancer and my dad is crying which i have never ever seen him do. I just keep thinking that if it is the big C i dont have a chance as breast cancer in someone my age is likely to be very agressive and wow i havent stopped crying since 11 this morning :(
x

Jan63
20-04-09, 20:59
Aww Tash they shouldn't be doing that - they should be supporting you not making you feel worse.:hugs: My dad was the same when I had an ovarian cyst when my oldest son was born and I found out that it might be cancerous. He went round telling everyone I had cancer.:ohmy: I had the ovary, tube and cyst out and was told whilst I was still in hospital that the ovary had been an healthy one. I had a CA125 test before I had the cyst out and something was high in it so that indicated cancer apparently. My son was only 5 1/2 weeks old and I was in bits. I had to go on valium because I was so upset. Maybe you could ask your doctor for a short course of diazepam to help to calm you a little because I really felt it helped me at the time.:hugs::hugs: I still think its a cyst or breast mouse.:hugs:

Mondie
20-04-09, 21:42
You mention that it looked like a jelly bean? Do you mean that it was longer than it was high? I had a lump that looked rugby ball shaped and I was told that it was a good sign as it indicates a fatty lump. I had the biopsy and had to wait which was awful but it turned out fine. I hope that you take some comfort from the shape of the lump meaning it should be nothing xxx

Piglet
20-04-09, 22:00
My whole family are talking like i have breast cancer and my dad is crying which i have never ever seen him do. x

Whoa that really has got to stop. :lac:

At this stage you have absolutely no idea if this is anything to be worried about or not and this reaction isn't in the least bit helpful or constructive.

Also while we read about the sad losses of people to cancer there are many many survivors too. I know several people now who have had cancer in one form or another and have recovered and moved on.

I totally understand your feelings at the mo having been through something similiar but try to not to put the horse before the cart hun, as Jaco so succintly put it in a post of his recently " all this worrying and I could be run over by a bus tomorrow".

Love Piglet :flowers:

tashbarnes87
20-04-09, 22:01
Thanks Jan, sorry to hear about what happened to you :(
mondie - the lump did look longer than higher it is 1 cm long by 5 mm ish up. Its just so so hard not to think the worst. I know i have a lot of positives to think about like age, my son etc but this has pushed my health anxiety in to overtime. I feel like all my worrying actually was someting in the end :(xx

tashbarnes87
20-04-09, 22:03
Hi piglet, i think we clicked post at the same time. I totally agree my family have made me worse! i even had my dads ex on the phone telling me she loved me! x

Blot
20-04-09, 22:10
Tash, I am so sorry to see your pain, just know that they are taking all the right steps to check that that little cyst is not something sinister. By doing a biopsy, they can take the appropriate action! Hang in there. Be kind to yourself & spend time with your lovely baby!

kittykat
20-04-09, 22:11
Hi Tash,

Can't imagine what your going through but keep your chin up, we're all here for you and i'm sure it will turn out to be a cyst........just try to keep busy and Friday will be here before you know it :flowers:

Liverbird67
20-04-09, 22:40
Hiya Tash

just to let you know I am thinking of you it could be a dozen and one things hun, none of them as sinsister as the big C, you could have a blocked duct with just having the baby, that would be quite painful, at least they are on the ball at the hospital just not fobbing you off which would be worse (its that fear of the unknown again which sends us into overdrive)

Good Luck Hun

Debbie

Jan63
20-04-09, 22:43
Thanks Jan, sorry to hear about what happened to you :(
mondie - the lump did look longer than higher it is 1 cm long by 5 mm ish up. Its just so so hard not to think the worst. I know i have a lot of positives to think about like age, my son etc but this has pushed my health anxiety in to overtime. I feel like all my worrying actually was someting in the end :(xx

I'm sure it will be fine Tash - a jelly bean sounds like a cyst - they just want to be 100% sure that's all which is good.:hugs: I had to have two mammograms when I went and I knew that something had showed up and convinced myself I definitely had breast cancer but when I saw the consultant after she said I had an enlarged node in my other breast and this was what they had to make sure of and why they had done two mammograms. She said it wasn't cancer and wouldn't turn to cancer but they just like to be 100%.:hugs:

Next week you will be worrying over something else if you are anything like me.:whistles:

NoPoet
21-04-09, 00:07
Hi Tash, the biopsy is something they've got to do to check out a strange lump. There is nothing to fear at this point as it is most likely a cyst. I had one in my shoulder and it was like a knobbly pea or bean shape with bits coming off it.

Even if the worst happens they can presumably cut it out and give you a course of treatment to make sure it doesn't come back. I wish you the best :)

Wee-Mee
21-04-09, 00:17
I can't begin to imagine what you must be going through my love,honestly.

And your family should be supportive! Not you know..doing what they are.

But you can come obviously come on here and get as much support as you need and more :)

:hugs:

I think doctors wouldn't be doing their job though if they just left a lump alone you know?

And core biopsy I suppose is better in that it is more accurate so they'll be more def answers.

I wish I could make you feel better. It is awful to be in HA grip. Nothing ever seems to register,just know I'll be thinking of you hun.

Please keep in touch

Amy xxxxxxxxxx

tashbarnes87
21-04-09, 08:49
Heya guys, today the biospy area is still sore but i have had a poke around for the lump and i cant feel it, i guess it might be swollen and thatss why but stupid question, if she took 3 biopsy samples is this likely to make it smaller or is is a tiny amount they take?

x

Jan63
21-04-09, 10:07
I'm not sure Tash cos I've don't know whether I had the core thing done or the needle aspiration. I wouldn't think a cancer lump could be removed so easily by just taking samples so I would think the most likely explanation is that it is a cyst and they have drained the fluid off.:shrug:

tashbarnes87
21-04-09, 15:33
O today is so hard :( i am crying on and off all the time. I just dont understand why they did the biopsy. From what i have read woman go for an ultrasound & then they drain cysts with mine, she just said 'we need to biospy it' implying its not a cyst. On the ultrasound it looked like a big black jelly bean, if its black looking does this mean its fluid filled? Please people who have been diagnosed with a cyst do you remember wht the ultrasound looked like?

xx

RibbonBows
21-04-09, 15:52
at least you've had the biopsy done straight away!

when i went through this, I only had an ultrasound and was told by the consultant to come back in 6 months for a second check-up, but the ultrasound man when he looked at it said I would almost certainly be getting a biopsy.... which I never got. Of course when you're there you're too nervous to think clearly about what's happening, so I just went home. but then spent 6 months mulling over what the radiologist had said. thinking 'why did he say that? it must have definitely looked like cancer'. it was hell

It turned out to be nothing in the end but I still had it removed for peace of mind, I'm sure you'll be fine but the wait can be horrible. I feel for you//

Jan63
21-04-09, 16:21
O today is so hard :( i am crying on and off all the time. I just dont understand why they did the biopsy. From what i have read woman go for an ultrasound & then they drain cysts with mine, she just said 'we need to biospy it' implying its not a cyst. On the ultrasound it looked like a big black jelly bean, if its black looking does this mean its fluid filled? Please people who have been diagnosed with a cyst do you remember wht the ultrasound looked like?

xx
No I never saw mine Tash because the doctor had the screen turned towards her.

jellybean43
21-04-09, 16:29
Hi Tash,
Aww hun I am sure you will be just fine. I also forgot to mention that when i had the Chest X ray she sent me out to get dressed and then said that she needed me back in as the result wasnt very clear!!!OMG I was sooo scared!!!! I also had to wait 10 days for the results. They honestly just do loads of tests to cover themselves. I feel certain you will be fine. I also breast fed my children(many years ago i might add) and my breasts felt very lumpy.
Nice to chat on Facebook this morning-----just mail me if you need to chat hun xx

justbananas
21-04-09, 16:53
the color wouldn't necessarily matter - they can often look at the images and determine whether there is a flow through, so to speak, which would indicate a cyst, but since Usounds are so non-exact it often leads to further testing to be safe, which is what sounds like happened to you. the fact that you can't really feel suggests to me that it was a cyst that fluid drained from after the biopsy. they don't just poke them usually and wait for the fluid to drain - they like to check to be safe with a biopsy. i'm sure it's all good!

tashbarnes87
21-04-09, 16:57
thanks all, i know i keep going over the same thing, im just scared x

Jan63
21-04-09, 17:24
That's understandable Tash - I was too but I think due to your age (I think you are quite young aren't you?) and the fact the doctors have said they think it's a cyst and also the lump seems to have gone down now that you are worrying for nothing.:hugs::hugs:

tashbarnes87
21-04-09, 17:37
hi jan, you really have been a massive help so thank you. I can feel he lump now the swelling has gone down but until it stops hurting i cant push on it to feel it properly but yes i am young 21 ( 22 in december) so am clinging on to that :) x

Jan63
21-04-09, 19:08
I could still feel my lump for ages after they drained mine too and it was a bit sore in that area so that's normal.:hugs: It will be all those hormones racing round your body after giving birth - that's when I got my ovarian cyst in my first pregnancy and it wasn't there at the start of the pregnancy. That gave me quite a scare too especially when the consultant said it was as big as a grapefruit.:ohmy: Still my son had a great game of football with it before he was born.:huh:

There is a poster in our doctors that says the chances of getting breast cancer increases with age so I'm sure you haven't got it.:hugs:

bex1970
21-04-09, 21:47
Tash - if it helps, with my cyst - it was black and they said it was a good sign.... as it means it's filled with clear fluid....

Hope that helps. Really thinking of you so much, i wish we could all do more to help you.... but we're all here.. so keep posting.
xx

abi
21-04-09, 22:06
Hello, You have lots of great replies which I am sure have all been of great help so not sure I can offer much else..but 5 years ago I had a firm lump in my breast. I was sent to the breast clinic, saw consultant, had USS and then the consultant said he did not want to do a biopsy, he wanted to remove it. As you can imagine this really worried me. Everyone kept saying they were sure it would all be fine etc which did help BUT I just could not relax or reassure myself. The consultant said he basically did not know what it was so felt it best to remove it, and that was all I was told. I had it removed and it turned out to be a fibroadenoma (I was 27).
Basically, I am just attempting to demonstrate that even when we fear the worst from what we are told/what is done by Dr's (especially if different to what we think will happen) it does not mean the end result is bad.
I asked him what would happen if it was cancer and he said I had absolutely done the right thing to go as soon as I found the lump and it could be sorted out as I had presented quickly. The "C" word is VERY scary but I try and always think about what is the worse case scenario...in your case you are worried this is cancer....that IS the absolute worse case scenario...BUT....it is NOT a death sentence, Tash. I am very hopeful for you it will not come to that for you, but you MUST try and keep it all in perspective and remember that this WILL get sorted for you whatever the outcome. I totally know how you feel but this WILL get better very soon xxxxx:hugs:

daisy76
21-04-09, 22:35
I am sending you big hugs. I really feel for you. Please keep us posted.

Karen xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Wee-Mee
21-04-09, 22:42
Popping in with more love and hugs petal.

:hugs: :hugs:

Hope you are feeling a bit better

I genuinely thought of you today! :)

xxxxxxxxxxx

Wee-Mee
22-04-09, 15:10
Any news my love?

xxxx

tashbarnes87
22-04-09, 19:24
Heya all, had a marginly better day but feel sick the closer it gets to friday the lump is still there :( but def feels different. just sick of the worrying & waiting. x

Jan63
22-04-09, 19:31
Is there anyway you could phone them and tell them how anxious you are and if they could tell you the results - I'm sure they must have them by now. Tell them that you have a young baby to look after and you aren't eating or sleeping and you really need to know.:hugs::hugs:

tashbarnes87
22-04-09, 21:05
To be honest i am off out to Oxford tommorow for a day of shopping as andrew is off all day so im hoping for a nice lunch and a day off from it. Then it will be friday any way :(x

Jan63
23-04-09, 11:38
Oh that's good then, at least it will take your mind off it for a little while.:hugs: I know how you feel though I had to wait two weeks for my results 15 years ago and I had two small children then and the waiting was absolute hell.:weep:

Hope you have a lovely day today Tash.:hugs:

bex1970
23-04-09, 18:34
Hey Tash.... good luck tomorrow - have all fingers and toes crossed. We'll all be thinking of you.... Let us know how it goes.
xxx

Wee-Mee
23-04-09, 18:43
Hey hun,hope it goes well,my friend is actually going to docs next wed cos she's found a lump in her boob and it's sore.. and she's worried too,but I'm telling her that she will be okay.

She thinks there is something wrong cos they have referred her but they wouldn't be doing their job otherwise!

Hope everything goes well and that you have a lovely day tomorrow :)
xxxxxxxxx

mummyto4
23-04-09, 19:49
Good Luck for your results tomorow Tash. Hope you have had a fab day and tomorrow this will all be over with.
xxxx

tashbarnes87
23-04-09, 19:54
HI all, feel reallly sick but have had a lovely lovely day. I just cant think about anything else at all. God i hope its ok :(
xx

amandaj
23-04-09, 20:01
good luck for tommorow tash it will be fine not same but im waiting for a blood test result and i feel same as you do good luck
amandaxx

Wee-Mee
23-04-09, 20:03
Will be thinking of you petal.

Atleast you went out and that is a plus in itself and you should be proud of that xxxxxx

Trish
23-04-09, 23:24
Hiya Tash hun i just wanted you to know that i will be thinking of you tomorrow and wishing you all good things:)

I'm pleased you have had a lovely day today.

:bighug1:

Trish x

maddie
23-04-09, 23:30
I've had the same - twice. Both times the lumps turned out to be cysts, which they put a needle into and drained. That was over 10 years ago and I've not had any more since. Waiting for the results was agony and you have my sympathy. I'm sure all will be fine and after you will be relieved that they did all checks possible to ensure it was nothing else.
:hugs:

kittykat
24-04-09, 08:34
Hi Tash ,just wanted to wish you good luck for today i'm sure everything will be fine and we're all thinking of you , take care and let us know how it goes xx :hugs::hugs:

Lawton86
24-04-09, 08:41
GOOD LUCK for today! Sure you will be fine hun :) :hugs:

ElizabethJane
24-04-09, 08:43
:hugs: Very best wishes Tash. I went to the breast clinic with my sister once. Waiting was the worst part.

Jan63
24-04-09, 10:17
Good luck today Tash - thinking of you.:hugs::hugs:

bex1970
24-04-09, 10:33
Tash - hope it went well today. Lots of love and luck
x:hugs:

shoegal
30-04-09, 00:07
What was the result? Are you ok?