PDA

View Full Version : Ectopic heartbeats and pounding of blood in ears

countrygirl
20-04-09, 13:23
I have had ectopic heartbeats for over 20 years and when they are bad I get one every 3rd beat:mad: I have had a 24hr ecg every 3-4 years so have had 5 so far:blush: and they always say the same - frequent ectopics but no underlying heart disease or arrythmia in other words horrible but hamless. I also had a echo of heart about 7 yrs ago . My last 24hr ecg wasJune last year.

sometimes when I get the bad ectopics after the thump/sinking chest sensation i get a few seconds of hearing the blood rush in my ears. Just like if you had been bending down and you stand up suddenly.

I had this about 6 months ago for a week or so and went to my Dr who said it was just another manifestation of anxiety and ectopics. I also at same time tend to get that weird sinking sensation when you go to bed at night just as you start to fall asleep - not the actual jumping just a weird dropping in head sensation and then the pounding heart in ears. Again I have had this occasionally for over 10 years and at one time I had the nightime thing every night for 6 months and was a basket case and all the Drs said was it was an anxiety symptom.

Anyone relate to these senstaions??

House fan
20-04-09, 14:53
Hi CountryGirl

You may have a Patulous Eustachian tube. Do me a favour, the next time you feel your heart pounding in your ears, sit on the floor with your back straight, then push your head down towards your knees for a few seconds. If it is a Patulous, the pounding will disappear immediately, almost certainly confirming the condition.

House.

Blot
20-04-09, 21:39
Hi there House, what on earth is Patulous Eustachian tube?

Hi Country Girl, I have been experiencing your symptoms today - very disconcerting. I too have had 24 hour halter, both for pule & bloodpressure a few years ago - all came back normal. I had an ecg a few months ago - also normal. When I have these episodes I am so scared as I keep thinking that it may be some underlying heart condition. Oh I really do relate to you!

Sky33
21-04-09, 22:09
I`m right there with you too lol. I get a lot of Ectopic beats and they terrify me. I get the awful sinking feeling just as i`m falling asleep then the thump. It also seems like an eternity between the two heartbeats, i convince myself that the next beat isn`t going to come. I dread going to bed because of these "sinking" feelings.
I`ve been to the doctors too, they did an ECG which was normal and diagnosed Ectopic beats. They prescribed Beta Blockers but part of my anxiety is a major phobia of taking any medication because of possible disastrous side effects (daft i know).
I know how you feel, it`s awful. I know i should start believing my doctor when he says theres nothing wrong but it`s so hard when the symptoms are so scary.

Lynski
22-04-09, 07:54
I have ectopic beats too (premature ventricular contractions). They come and go with their severity - usually influenced I think by the time of the month, things I have eaten as well has my level of anxiety. I am convinced that they started because I was anxious in the first place!. I totally understand your worry!

I also get these sensations of pounding pulse in my ears, usually after I have been sitting for a while and then get up. Sometimes it is so loud that it interferes with my hearing. I try and tell myself that if it was something to worry about it wouldn't disappear. A cardiologist told me that the reason you hear it is because one of the major arteries goes right past your ear. So i suppose that if we are anxious, our pulse rises and we "hear" it. It's such a vicious cycle isn't it. Because as soon as I hear it, it worries me more!.

I've got to say that knowing other people have EXACTLY the same feelings as me makes me feel much better - I hope it does for you too.

countrygirl
22-04-09, 11:57
Thanks everyone as you say nice to know other people have my symptoms and are still alive!

I was told by cardiologist that all drugs that can help with this harmless condition including beta blockers can potentially cause a dangerous arrythmia so its better to stick with the one you've got:D

I am going to try taking St Johns Wort to see if it can help with my anxiety as I literally spend all day long worrying about all my symptoms - I seem to have so much wrong with me and so many symptoms that I constantly feel that they must be missing something.

When I think of the amount of tsts I have had in past 5 years it makes me cringe:blush:

sharona
22-04-09, 12:13
Hi
I have the same symptoms, i am going to the ENT May 17th so I will let you know what they say. I cannot go to sleep some nights because of the pounding.

Sharona

countrygirl
22-04-09, 14:10
I went to ENT yesterday and he is arranging for hearing tests ( I have haering like a bat! so doubt anything wrong there) and also ultrasound of neck arteries - he didn't seem too bothered at all . I explained that I was worried about having an abnormality in blood vessles arteires in brain near ear and he said as I had had a mri brain scan only last summer then I would not need another one:weep: . He explained that nearly all abnormalities of blood vessels are congenital so a clear previous mri would rule this out and if it was caused by furred up arteires then this would show up in the neck artery scan as these would be furred up as well.

Of course it wasn't easy to understand him:mad: but he seemed a nice man so am waiting for my ultrasound appt and hearing test appts. Told the ultrasoudnd has to be done within 6 weeks:scared15: and then I will see him again. He said he would look at my last brain mri as well.