PDA

View Full Version : Mouth lumps

antrob1000
20-04-09, 13:39
I will give the full story about 5 months ago I found a lump in my mouth, went to doctors got refered had the lump removed and it was tested and turned out to be a Mucocele (which is a cyst).

Ever since I check my mouth reguarly and since I have noticed 2 lumps on eather side of my lips. They are less that 1cm each and one is smaller than the other. I went to the dentist (who I trust) 4 weeks ago to get them checked out and he said they were just a Mucoceles and nothing to worry about. But I am worried if he was wrong or he did actually notice the lumps as you cant see them just feel them with your fingers.
Is this just my HA kicking in again or shoudl I worry. I know it is nothing to worry about really as the lumps feel the same as the one I had removed.

Anthony

bex1970
20-04-09, 15:59
Hi there - I don't think you need to worry. I have the same fear as you about oral cancer. It is not worth your dentists while to mislead you in anyway. If he had seen something sinister then he would have told you. If you have already had one cyst then it is undoubtedly the same again. I get them too - and they are scary.... Dentists are the true experts on all areas of the mouth, much more so than GPs and he will know what he's talking about. If you trust him as you say you do - then you have to believe him this time.. Don't worry though, I cut the side of my lip on a twiglet on Friday (!) - and the cut is taking a long time to clear up.... Needless to say, I'm panicking but the other part of me knows that I cut it on a twiglet and keep irritating it with food! You don't have anything sinister, honestly, trust your dentist, he really wouldn't dismiss it if it were something scary.

antrob1000
20-04-09, 16:19
Thanks you that really helps. Deep down i know their is no problem. Especially as over the past 5 months I have a consultant check my mouth and the dentist (He must think Im mad) 5 times and doctor once. I do the same as you I spent a week watching a cut I had on my cheek heal. Im driving my wife crazy. I just wish i could just stop worryign about my mouth :D

I just have so many things to worry about as my wife is preganant at the moment after having a miscarriage last year. Yesterday she started to have pains in her sides spoken to midwife and siad that its just normal stretching pains.

Thanks for you help it really helps :D to have another opionion. Dont worry about the cut they always heals in the end.

bex1970
20-04-09, 17:09
Your poor wife - that's horrid and every ache and pain is terrifying but you do get weird stretching feelings and they can be quite uncomfortable - when the baby comes, your health anxiety will ease off as you will have something more important to think about - when I had my two kids, my health anxiety was kept at bay for a while. I totally understand the mouth issue - honestly, I worry about every little piece of it. Despite having seen a proper oral/maxillofacial surgeon - who reassured me he had never seen a healthier mouth.... So, if ever you get worried about your mouth, know that you have someone who feels exactly the same way... we can reassure each other!

antrob1000
21-04-09, 08:36
We have a private ultrasound scan booked for tomorow to just reassure me and my wife that everything is OK. She is still having all teh normal signs of pregagancy, wee just being paranoid after last time.

I have also seen a oral/maxillofacial surgeon 5 months ago who removed the cyst also did a full mouth cancer check and said that i dio not have mouth cancer and everything looks OK and teh dentist and since had a cancer check by teh dentist too. But for some reason i still worry.

I think the main reason why I worry so much is that i used to smoke for about 10 years and stopped about 2 years ago and when i stopped i used nictone chewing gum for a while.

It really does help taking to someone else who have the same wories ( I always thought it was just me).