PDA

View Full Version : Im so scared to ask this....

Lawton86
20-04-09, 21:50
Hey Guys!

U all my know im 22. well my life revolves around being one of those smart rock and roll guys, shirt and tie, nice suit trousers the stubble and nice longish (not past my kneck) hair.

Does anxiety cause baldness. Im really freaking out about this and its making me check in the mirror like every hour now! i know u can tell by your mothers farther and he had a god head of heair till he died.

But with all the stress this anxiety and de-realization is giving me im so scared of being bald within 6 months! i heard you loose like 100 hairs a day naturally and their is no sign of going bald yet.....but i just hate worrying about it, or everytime i ruffel my hair and 5 hairs drop out etc etc...... :(

Stressed32
20-04-09, 22:14
I am not sure but I do know that it could come from mom too not just her dad. How is your mom's hair?

Vanilla Sky
20-04-09, 22:20
If your dad had a good head of hair then you will to ! I dont think baldness is an anxiety symptom Paige x

Lawton86
20-04-09, 22:32
my dad is 50 and still has a good head of hair, ma mums hair is thick and so is mine, which aint bad signs. but my mums brother is bald. lol.

Hollytree
21-04-09, 00:02
You'll be ok, when I run my fingers through my hair, 10-15 hairs come out at a time!! i'm always losing hair, and yes between 100-200 hairs a day is normal for a woman, not sure for men, but probably is the same. My god with all the anxiety i've had in my life, that's 20 years of it, I should be either bald, or grey. I'm not either : )

duskess
21-04-09, 02:00
Hi Lawton,
Anxiety does not cause baldness , its usually genetic , you will have your midlengh hair for a long time to come:) but remember to keep getting it cut every 6 to 8 weeks and your hair will look fab , so keep up with the rock n roll:) best wishes dusky x

purplehaze
21-04-09, 04:17
I think you will lose your hair before you are 30 and end up with a comb over but then it could be worse you could be living in a 3rd world country with no food or clean water starving to death and living with the threat of violence every day. Or you could be like one of the million or so OAPs that miss a meal everyday because they dont have the money to feed themselves.

Or like the many folk on here that suffer day in and day out with agoraphobia, panic attacks, depression and all manner of emotional illnesses.

Sorry mate there are worse things than losing your hair

Lawton86
21-04-09, 07:22
i knew a comment like this was coming, and to be honest i think its a bit unfair.

I agree their are a lot worse things, millions of things....but we have the resources in our country and my house to access these services where i can let stuff off my chest that worrys me, and 99.9% of people on here help me out all the time.

By the way i do suffer badly with panic attacks, anxiety and constant de-realistation , i dont hang around here for the love of seeing how bad anxiety can bring people down. we do it to help eachother. no matter what it is, aslong as it helps that person through their time of worry or need.

I also know that my anxiety will calm down, my de-realisation will fade and my panic attacks might never go, but will come very much more sparsley and have to think about if im still going to look and feel the same when i come through the other end oof this hellish journey.

Thanks to everyone who replied to the question. :)

jessieblue
21-04-09, 13:39
Hi Lawton,

I don't believe anxiety and panic causes baldness. It is genetic. I am sure your hair will be fine and lovely for many many years. Try not to keep checking how many hairs you lose each day as this will freak you out. We do shed a lot of hair naturally and sometimes more than others for all sorts of reasons. After my first baby I lost loads of hair and had really thin patches, but that is common due to hormones after pregnancy. At least you won't have to worry about that! Don't worry hun, its fine and normal.

mo-cadbird
21-04-09, 13:52
I think you will lose your hair before you are 30 and end up with a comb over but then it could be worse you could be living in a 3rd world country with no food or clean water starving to death and living with the threat of violence every day. Or you could be like one of the million or so OAPs that miss a meal everyday because they dont have the money to feed themselves.

Or like the many folk on here that suffer day in and day out with agoraphobia, panic attacks, depression and all manner of emotional illnesses.

Sorry mate there are worse things than losing your hair

not nice purlehaze! :mad: give the guy a break ! we all have our own problems & we're all here for support - if it had been a female worriying about going bald would you have been so dismissive?

:bighug1:

reallyfedup
21-04-09, 15:21
I lose a lot of hair and I'm female. It started to worry me. But I read the leaflet if the meds I took as its a side effect!!!! I think maybe you are just hypersensitive to noticing everything as nmmany of us with anx and panic are. The baldness gene is carried by your mum !?!? But she may not have passed it on even if her dad was bald -I think.:shrug:

shamwari
21-04-09, 15:38
Hi there, im new to this sight and was a little surprised by purplehazes reaction. Yes of course there are worse things happening around the world and im sure Lawton knows this but i feel that all of our anxieties and issues are real to us as is lawtons and if purplehaze feels this way, i wonder why he needs this sight as i thought it was here for supporting others, not hearing the same sort of unhelpful comments we deal with everyday from people not understanding mental health issues. Hope i dont offend anyone with this thread.
x

eurotrashcub
21-04-09, 15:40
If the worse comes to the worse, shaven head and a stubble...

Fit as I say!

Worrier
21-04-09, 17:16
Hey Lawton,

Just wanted to tell you that we all have things that we worry about and in our own worlds they seem so very important. I too don't think it was necessarily nice that you got a negative response.

Hang in there and try and live your life to the fullest.

Take care.
Worrier x

purplehaze
21-04-09, 22:15
Truth is I would be the same with whoever.

I have friends just back from africa and there are children in certain parts with limbs hanging off, people dying of aids, woman being raped...The list goes on.......

Losing ones hair is natural and most men do lose their hair.

Sometimes we need to get a reality check and I am also up for anyone giving me a reality check....

PoppyC
21-04-09, 22:35
Good previous post from you Lawton! :yesyes:

PurpleHaze - Yes there are horrific things happening in other countries and in our country too - however that does not mean that people cannot have their own unique personal worries because people are starving in Africa or wherever in the world! Does that not mean I dont have a right to worry about my anxiety because people in the world are dying of Aids? or starving?
If Lawton is worrying about something he has every right to. He suffers with anxiety. It makes people worry!
How do you know Lawton will lose his hair before 30??? :shrug:

Lawton - :D
I trained as a hairdresser and beautician...Stress can aggravate hair loss in some cases, but it will grow back if its related to stress. When I was really unwell last year I lost some hair but it did grow back thankfully!!!
Hair loss is usually hereditary but not in every case. If your dad still has a full head of hair at 50, then I think you can safely assume you will too at that age - its not a definite - but its usually how it goes. Prozac can cause hair loss/thinning.
Even if you do lose your hair in years to come you could get it shaved, which I think looks nice on men sometimes, or even consider hair plugs? That is very popular in the USA.lol
Try not to worry about it (I know thats easier said than done sometimes)- you are young and you have years ahead of you. I know you suffer with anxiety & derealization, but try and enjoy being young. I wish I was really young again - I sound ancient now!!!!!!!! :weep:

duskess
21-04-09, 22:48
hello Lawton,I think your question was what most young men your age worry about , its quite scary having Anxiety and Panic and thats why we are all no more panic members, my son is around your age and he has asked me the same question he does not have panic anxiety and i can assure you lots of lads your age will think or ask that question , some do lose their hair due to genes and i do hope their piers are understanding with them , i really do think you will have your hair for many years to come :D try not to worry , best wishes dusky x

Lawton86
21-04-09, 23:05
Thank you guys and Poppy C for your useful info!!!

I think its just one of them things that like you say dusky, most guys my age do worry about anyway, and me having bad anxiety at the moment really doesnt help.

but thank you for all your comments......and sorry if their seems to be some negativity in this thread, it was never meant to be like that.

One more thing, guys....i have to say after being a member for over a week now and already posted over 50 posts ( :D ) that in my entire 8-9 years of surfing the web, i have never and i mean NEVER found a website with such a bunch of nice people to talk to and help eachother out. What a rareity for the internet and i think its somthing that this website and all of us members shouls be very proud of!

Danny_dingle
21-04-09, 23:22
Hey Lawton,

Just thought I would write to basically agree with you; this website truly is a fantastic find and there are so many lovely people on here! :yesyes:

As far as your worry goes, I agree that worrying can be about absolutely everything. The actually severity of the worry in other people's eyes has no bearing on how it makes you feel, nor how scary it is to you. Just to put things into perspective, my uncle has a slug phobia which, if he sees one, it can actually mean it takes him an extra twenty minutes to walk home from the pub as he takes a massive detour just so he can avoid that slug. My worry this time last year was that one of the mutants from a film I watched was going to come out of my downstairs bathroom and get me (I had to bend right down and check behind the toilet and everything, and was still convinced he was in there). You may well be laughing at these, and I don't blame you in the slightest because they would seem silly to everyone else, but at the time they are very real and very scary and debilitating.

So just because your worry can easily be misconstrued as vanity, that is not the case; it is simply that you are an anxious person, and this is how your worry has chosen to manifest itself. What is worrying to one person might be hilarious or ridiculous to another, but it is not what we are worrying about that is the problem; it is how it makes us feel.

I have a friend who always asks in these situations; what's the worst that could happen? The worst is that you do start to lose your hair, and the other people who have replied previously have said just what I was thinking when I read your first post; a shaved head and stubble is very rock 'n' roll in my opinion. Take my boyfriend for example; he is more indie than rock, and takes great pride in his appearance. He used to have fairly long, floppy beatle-esque hair about 6 years ago when we first went out which I used to tell him he should never cut, but then he cut it short and now, 6 years later, he looks even sexier like it to the point where we have ended up back together!!! :yahoo:

So maybe, in the worst case scenario and you do lose your hair, it may be a blessing in disguise; you might look even better with your head shaved!

Take care sweetheart, hope you are feeling less anxious soon,

Danny xxx

finny12000
21-04-09, 23:26
Truth is I would be the same with whoever.

I have friends just back from africa and there are children in certain parts with limbs hanging off, people dying of aids, woman being raped...The list goes on.......

Losing ones hair is natural and most men do lose their hair.

Sometimes we need to get a reality check and I am also up for anyone giving me a reality check....

Ok purple heres that check
this is your post from a while back

There are times we reply to posts without really thinking about the post. I would like to suggest the following

I want to give you a little acronym that I think you might find helpful - THINK

T - is it True?
H - is it Helpful?
I - is it Inspiring?
N - is it Necessary?
K - is it Kind?
I think if we THINK before we speak we may just have begun to tame the tongue. Let me tell you this story! A woman had a throat operation and was informed that she was not allowed to speak for 6 months. She had a husband and 4 children - this seemed impossible but she was able to do as instructed by her doctor. When she wanted to call them she blew a whistle and she wrote down her instructions to them. At the end of 6 months the doctor asked her about the experience. She said she had never crumpled up as many notes in her life and that if she had been able to speak those words would have spewed out of her mouth wreaking untold damage. Maybe you should try that for a day - write it down before you speak it and see how many notes you throw away and choose not to speak to people. Your tongue is small but powerful, dangerous and revealing.

I know I have been guilty in the past

This is just a thought and I hope it helps

young lawton is worried about losing his hair ,a genuine concern
hes been here a week because of various illnesses and wanted some comfort
and assurance,all are free to post whateva they want but cmon if your post was meant to be serious then theres no point anyone posting anything else as you could reply to every single post on here with same as well as someone replying the same to you when you joined.
lawton is worried and panicking and i thought we were here to help...nmp

If its any consolation my dad was bald as a coot at 40 and my brothers at 30 and i shave ,my head since mid 20s lawton so with your dad at 50 you will be ok mate,take it easy
finn

purplehaze
22-04-09, 00:19
I put a bet with myself someone would paste that..so I win

Look the end result is on a scale of 1-10 its not a major issue..Baldness comes to us all and my post was in jest. But per normal very few people have a sense of humour.

and if someone does go bald what is the major draw back?
Man I am bald and I have dated many many beautiful females and its a cool look.
Bruce willis for example it has not hurt him.

purplehaze
22-04-09, 00:22
Oh on another note, by now many should know I do tend to just blurt out in a humour mode which can backfire but hey thats me

But if it has caused you any hurt I am sorry

Lawton86
22-04-09, 09:07
Hey purple,

It hasnt mate dont worry. Just dont think i would pull off the bald look well......probably look like a scared Gibbon :D

hope everyone has an anxiety free day today!!!

tracy.splosh
22-04-09, 15:42
Sometimes I think that some people on this forum just come here day in day out to generally wind people up and cause trouble. Shame really but thats sad folk for you.....nothing to do with having a sense of humour.

My son who was 11 at the time lost a good 60% of his hair due to alopecia so I can understand where this thread was coming from. The good news is it came back and all is well now. So I dont think Lawton has anything to worry about but I can understand why he brought it up.

Gook luck and love Tracy x

eurotrashcub
22-04-09, 16:23
Can i just say that i have a lot of hair and nobody in my family is bald and yet i always wear my hair at length one and I sort of wish i had a bit of a receding hair line cos i find that really attractive. I know it sounds silly but there you go.

I think we all have different ideas of what is attractive and if the guy is worried about losing his hair, that is fair enough. I know how stressed I can get about things that other people find trivial...

Also, and this is important, we all come with different hair styles, sizes, colours.

I am gay and I hang out on the so-called bear scene many of my mates find shaven heads and receding head lines well sexy. Cos the can be sort of masculine and go with a rugged look. The point is that you will always find someone who will find things you dont like about yourself attractive.

Although I am sure you are not going bald, if you do, embrace it. Get a shaven head, bulk up and join the team of rough guys out there. WOOOHOOO!

Now chill ladies and gentlemen and have a good day

guardian angel
04-05-09, 14:50
General thinning of the hair IS a symptom of anxiety. It can be due to a tight scalp where blood flow and nutrients to the follicles are stifled and the hair is effectively strangled. Alternatively, stress can mess with hormone balance which will upset hair regrowth after the shedding phase.
Likewise stress and anxiety can cause premature greying.
Regular (10-15 mins a day) scalp massage and a good, glucose balancing diet can help.

Edited to Add: Hair loss can occur as a result of other conditions such as a poorly functioning thyroid, anaemia, nutritional deficiencies etc so these should always be ruled out if you have significant hair loss. I would recommend that anyone suffering from anxiety (unless otherwise indicated by another condition such as pregnancy) should take a high quality mutli-vit and mineral complex paying particular attention to B vitamins and the antioxidants A, C & E to combat the effects of stress.
BW
Hayles xx

bobobob
04-05-09, 14:58
It natural that a few hairs come out when brushing. Your anxiety is playing tricks with you. The evidance is that your father had a full head of hair, then so will you. Well that is untill your about 60 then anything can happen. You have no need to worry.

bobobob
04-05-09, 14:58
It natural that a few hairs come out when brushing. Your anxiety is playing tricks with you. The evidance is that your father had a full head of hair, then so will you. Well that is untill your about 60 then anything can happen. You have no need to worry.