PDA

View Full Version : Thr Real Truth about Seroxat(paroxetine)....

redking
17-08-05, 15:04
The real truth is that SEROXAT is one of the most dangerous legal mind bending medications on the market today.

Paxil(also known as seroxat in Europe and Aropax in Australia) is a dangerous , mind altering drug .
An anti-depressant of the SSRI class
In some cases it can cause Suicide and Homicide
Originally manufactured for the treatment of depression.
It is now licenced for many disorders , from Post-traumatic stress to Panic attacks.
There is damning evidence that it is an ineffective drug in the treatment of any condition

Some Paxil/Seroxat Facts

A World Health Organization report which ranked antidepressants in order of withdrawal problems found Seroxat was the hardest to come off.

The family of David Snell won a $6.4m payout from manufacturers GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) after Mr Snell was found to have murdered three members of his family, and himself, after taking the drug for just two days.

Dec. 9, 2004 — New documents uncovered by ABC News suggest GlaxoSmithKline, the maker of the popular antidepressant Paxil, failed to disclose important information about the possibility of an increased risk of suicidal behavior in some children taking the drug, as well as serious withdrawal symptoms when some patients stop taking Paxil.

The new documents obtained by the ABC News program "Primetime Live" have never before been made public. Earlier this year, the Food and Drug Administration ordered manufacturers to place a warning in bold print on antidepressants, alerting consumers that the drugs can cause suicidal tendencies in children and teenagers.

Source: Office of New York State Attorney General
Published: August 27, 2004: GlaxoSmithKline last week agreed to pay $2.5 million to settle charges from the New York Attorneys General's office that it had concealed information about the safety and effectiveness of Paxil in treating children and adolescents with depression.

As part of the agreement, GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) will become the first major drug manufacturer to publicly disclose information on clinical studies of its drugs, New York Attorneys General's office said in a statement.

"This settlement holds GSK to a new standard of disclosure about studies concerning its drugs, a standard that helps to ensure that doctors and patients have access to all scientifically sound information so doctors can prescribe appropriate medication for their patients," Spitzer said. "By agreeing to release both positive and negative studies about the safety and efficacy of its drugs, GSK has set an example for the entire pharmaceutical industry."

The Attorney General sued GSK in June alleging that the company withheld negative information about Paxil, a drug used to treat depression. Specifically, GSK conducted at least five studies on the use of Paxil in children and adolescents but only released one of these studies, which showed mixed results on efficacy, Spitzer said. The lawsuit alleged that the company suppressed the negative results of the other studies, which failed to demonstrate that Paxil is effective and which suggested a possible increased risk of suicidal thinking and acts in certain individuals. The suit further alleged that GSK failed to disclose this information in "Medical Information Letters" that it sent to physicians.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005
Maker of antidepressant drugs faces $250m lawsuit from New York Attorney General: the drugs cause adolescents to commit suicide, says claim
Antidepressant drug maker GlaxoSmithKline is facing legal charges that its drug (Seroxat) is dangerous and causes adolescents to commit suicide. The charges come from New York state Attorney General Eliot Spitzer who also claims the company hid the results of drug trials that proved the drugs were dangerous. Similar charges may be filed soon in the UK, where a patient support group for users of the GSK drug says that the drug causes people to become aggressive or suicidal. All this is being reported in The Independent from the UK.

kid a
17-08-05, 15:33
I was on seroxat for three months, 7 years ago. For me, it made me very numb, unable to feel anything and I wouldn't recommend it.

It has coloured my opinions of anti depressants. I have always seen them as papering over the cracks although my counsellor did say yesterday that they can just be that helping hand you need. Anyway, I am mulling that over at the moment.

As far as Seroxat goes, what I find more alarming is the ease in which it is prescribed, and the lack of monitoring once it has been given out to people who are at their most vulnerable.

Meg
17-08-05, 19:52
Redking

I don't think its escaped anyones attention these last few years that Seroxat has clearly got some issues.

I would like to balance this by pointing out that there are substantially more people whom have been helped by Seroxat and have had no problems with it at all.

Many people cite it as being their life saver so its not all bad news at all and whilst on a steady dose there is hardly any risk with it at all.

The issues are mainly when settling onto it, changing dose or when coming off it. This is thought to be due to the length of its half life - the amount of time it takes the body to clear the drug out of its systems. Seroxat has a short half life so the levels of drug in the blood rises and falls dramatically and as it is a mood altering drug this does have an effect.

Please see our medication page for more information on SSRI withdrawal syndrome

Medication (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=medication)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

kid a
17-08-05, 21:15
Meg

You raised some good points and I'm aware of how it is very easy to become emotive and biased in opinions of Seroxat.

There are undeniably people who have success with the drug and I wouldn't want to scare anyone into thinking that it is a bad thing.

My personal account is that for me, it did have a relative positive effect in the sense that it stopped me feeling anxious and stressed, but on the flipside, it also blocked out my other emotions and I became very numb, unable to feel sad, or happy.

When my mood changed, which I can attribute to the drug, I did become slightly manic, something which I had never felt before or since.

I guess it depends on your personal situation and on reflection, the drug did calm me down and enable me to leave my bed in the morning. But on the negative side, in the short term it blocked out all of my feelings, and within a couple of months of taking it, I experienced mood swings.

I would say to think carefully about dosage and how you come off it, and work with therapy alongside it. I made the mistake of taking it, stop taking it and thinking "problem fixed".

Meg
17-08-05, 21:26
It is a mood altering drug - of that there is no doubt and there is also no doubt that there are thousands of people who have had difficulties, but there are also thousands of people who have come through that experience just fine without any lasting problems.

I'd like to keep both sides of the story in our thoughts as you are right its easy to get extremely passionate about something and lose sight that there may be differing views and as we often remind ourselves , those who have done well and without any issues do not feel the need to shout about it as loudly.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on the with therapy and expectations bit.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

melanie
17-08-05, 22:28
For me personally seroxat was best the medication i ever took and coming off it wasnt that bad,i had to come off citalopram at one point as well and it wasnt any harder.
mel xx

melanie

kazo
17-08-05, 22:50
For me personally I found them very good. I was on them for about a year and didn't have any problem with them. However, Coming off them wasn't that easy for me as I got withdrawals like shaking, crying at the slightest thing, mood swings and generally felt low but it only lasted a few weeks.

abcdd
17-08-05, 23:38
I was on paxil for 7 years and it was the only time I felt normal!!!! i was taken off because of weight gain. i had no trouble with that either.

bluebottle
18-08-05, 01:34
Good, I'm pleased that some people have not had a bad experience with Seroxat but it cannot be denied that the drug is a nightmare.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/2310197.stm

http://www.seroxatusergroup.org.uk/

http://www.mind.org.uk/Information/Seroxat.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/3710528.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/3677792.stm

The medical profession and the drug companies will have to answer their accusers one day, and that day is approaching fast. This website gives you a voice, all be it a small one.

http://www.yellowcard.gov.uk/

--
Blue -
"Your truth is better for you than someone else's. Just get to know what it is, so you can finally own it, and speak it."

pips
18-08-05, 15:53
I was on Seroxat for six months and i'm sure it pulled me out of a deep dark hole I was in at the time.

Coming of I just experienced alot of dizziness but thats all.

Pip's X

redking
18-08-05, 16:14
Hi meg

Yes i do realise that seroxat has a short half life and i am aware that some people 'claim' to have been helped by the drug.But i have seen very few postive stories and usually the positive stories are from those whom have never tried to get off the drug or have taken it short term and have used a tapering regime.

I have to disagree with your point about seroxat helping 'substancially more' people than it has hindered. Although there are no official and accurate figures on whom it has helpled and whom it has hindered or damaged. There is clear evidence of withdrawal testimonies on the web and other media. These testemonies and stories of horrific withdrawal and side effects are in their tens of thousands and are well documented. And if we take tens of thousands as a rough figure , we could say that they could well be the tip of the iceberg regarding known reporting of adverse problems with Seroxat.

I also disagree with your point about seroxat having hardly any risk on a steady dose. While stopping abruptly is indeed more risky than tapering and while changing the dose is evidently more risky than continuing on a steady one. The long term side effects on Seroxat on any dose are just emerging in the last couple of years. I would bet my life on the fact that if you were to medically examine all long term users of Seroxat , you would find that not one would be without some kind of permanent neurolgical damage . The problem with Seroxat (and other SSRIs) is that they are relatively new drugs, and with new drugs there come new unknown side effects and unkown long term damage that wont be seen for a few decades of use in the public domain. We are about half way there in discovering the truth about Seroxat , and it is not pretty. There are caes of people taking up to 18 months to withdraw from seroxat. there is the serious problem of protracted withdrawal. and also the evidence of long term damage just emerging.

Glaxosmithkline knew there would be problems for a lot of people on this drug.Yet they failed to warn because it did not fit in with their marketing strategy. They put peoples lives at risk and many have lost theirs due to seroxat induced aggression. I am not pro or ant-drugs for the treatment of mood disorders. But i am concerned with over-prescription, misdiagnoses , misinformation and abuses of the public by psychiatry and greedy pharmaceautical corporations.

The purpose of my first post on this website was to give people a gateway to information that is factual. And that is the purpose of my quest. I have been researching tirelessly for the past 4 years on Seroxat. I am a seeker of the truth. and from what i have found, the truth about seroxat is , the risks by far outweigh the benefits of it as an effective treatment for any condition.

If you look the story and history of Seroxat , you will find a tale so sinister it couldnt be written as believeable fiction, but unfortunately it is all true. ( Check out : www.thepaxilprotest.com )

Abuses by psychiatry are nothing new. And corruption in the pharmaceutical industry is nothing new either. And failure to protect the public by government medical wathchdogs has happened before(like thalidomide). It is the combination of all these factors that resulted in Seroxat. Glaxosmithkline , in 2002, amended the prescribing instructions for Seroxat regarding the withdrawal issue. They officially increased the withdrawal reactions from 1 in 500 people to 1 in 4. Seroxat is like russian roullette... a very dangerous gamble.....

the truth thats so entangled in the lies

kid a
18-08-05, 16:41
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I was on Seroxat for six months and i'm sure it pulled me out of a deep dark hole I was in at the time.

Coming of I just experienced alot of dizziness but thats all.

Pip's X

<div align="right">Originally posted by pips - 18 August 2005 : 15:53:53</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

No pressure to feel you have to answer anything if it makes you feel uncomfortable but did you have therapy alongside it? Was it a tool that enabled you to deal with whatever problems you were facing?

I am just wondering about how it worked for you, as it obviously helped you out. Reasons for depression are complex and varied; was it a solution or an aid to find a solution?[?]

looby
21-08-05, 13:29
[quote]Although there are no official and accurate figures on whom it has helpled and whom it has hindered or damaged.
[quote] The problem with Seroxat (and other SSRIs) is that they are relatively new drugs, and with new drugs there come new unknown side effects and unkown long term damage that wont be seen for a few decades of use in the public domain.

So if the above quotes are true, how can people know the long term side effects and any neurological (?) damage it can do?

I have been on Seroxat for nearly 3 years, and I have found it has helped me so much.
Yes I did feel suicidal at times, but I feel that it was just my depression.
I am no scientist or medical genius, I am an ordinary girl who has suffered with anxiety and depression, and going from being unable to go out, even to the shops to being back working and able to go out, even on my own!
I am sure any person on any anti-depressant has felt suicidal.

Also you or someone else mentioned about a man who killed his family and himself, but it also said he had only been on it a matter of days. I thought anti depressants take a week or so to work.

I know you are speaking from personal experience, as I am, but I feel that you may be scaring people unessercerilly ([Duh!] sorry, never been able to spell that word right!).
Sorry if I have offended anyone but I needed to get that off my chest!
[8)]
Looby
xx

pips
21-08-05, 17:07
Hi Kid a

I went on the Seoxat for my anxiety panic attacks & Depression.

I think I was just desperite to try anything at the time as I was feeling so very low.

At first I wasn't having any therapy but then after about 4 months I started to see a counceller. Unfortunately she wasn't that experienced in panic etc so that didn't help me that much.

Although it didn't do that much for my anxiety etc. It did help me see a light at the end of the tunnel for my depression.

Whether I would have come out of that deep dark hole without the Seroxat. I can't answer that I suppose i will always wonder?

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X

redking
21-08-05, 20:54
I am not going to go in to a longwinded explanation of my stance about the truth of these drugs. All the information to any question that needs to be addressed can be found in the links i have provided at the beginning of my post . I have been debating the dangers of Seroxat for years. A lot of my opinion and that of thousands of others whom have been damaged by this drug can be found on www.paxilprogress.org

In response to Looby , the point of my post was that the long term side effects of long term use of seroxat seems to point in the direction of neurological damge to the brain. It is early days as Seroxat is still a relatively new drug but if you check out the links i have provided you can see for yourself and make more of an informed opinion.

After all my years of research and experience with seroxat , the following are my conclusions :

Seroxat is ineffective in the long term for most people.
Pharmacautical corporations are not interested in the individual suffering from 'mental illness' , they are driven by profit for their shareholders and nothing else.
They will exploit any illness or condition of which they see a possible profit angle. And the 'mentally il' are the easiest targets for them to exploit.
They will lie and deceive in any way they can to boost sales of their drugs.
They will market drugs with selective results of clinical trials regarding side effetcts and withdrawal symptoms in order to market a positive efficacy and tolerance , regardless if this is true or not.
They will use Psychaiatry as a devious marketing tool to sell more drugs.
They will use drug reps to tempt GP's or doctors with Perks and bonuses to further increase sales.
They will hide behind made up medical words, definitions and phrases , such as 'scientific foundation' , chemical imbalance', 'suiciadal ideation' etc in order to confuse the general public and lead away from the truth.
They will endorse political parties and governments with money in order to push their agendas to gain power and influence.
They will pay off victims from suicide cases, withdrawal cases and homicide cases in order to gag them and stop the real truth from being revealed.
They have a vested interest in the media to continue their propaganda. The do this by sponsorship, (magazines,TV, etc)
They will stop at nothing to keep the money machine rolling.

If anyone can argue to the contrary any of the statements above. I am willing and open to discussion.............

the truth thats so entangled in the lies

cycloneuk
21-08-05, 21:25
I was on a very low dose of Seroxat for 9 days up untill yesterday and was told by my doctor to stop straight away because it was causing bleeding under my skin which i'm told is a rare side effect.