PDA

View Full Version : I keep choking

RibbonBows
21-04-09, 15:25
I had a chesty cough and sore throat for a few weeks a while back, but now all I'm left with is a mild tickle/discomfort at the back of my throat, when a tickle flares up however, it makes me want to cough but when I cough to try and clear it nothing seems to happen and I end up choking on air...

I can manage it during the day but for the past week I have been waking up in the middle on the night every night properly choking, its quite scary. Especially as I'm only half awake, so worried I won't put enough effort in to be able to get my breath again.

I don't think its anxiety related because like I say, I am at the tail-end of some kind of throat infection or something. But do you think this will stop happening soon of its own accord?
Its really scary- I hate choking

lauren6
21-04-09, 15:35
Hi Ribbon, When I get a cold, the cough can linger for as long as 6 weeks. You will NOT lose your breath, don't worry about that! I find that taking a menthol cough drop helps the tickling, which can be maddening. I have taken cough suppressant just to sleep, but not often. Not a good idea if you want the phlegm to come up but if it's keeping you awake, maybe for a night or two. Hot gargles also helped me but Halls and Vicks drops did the trick.

RibbonBows
21-04-09, 15:43
do you ever actually physically start choking on your own breath though? this is the bit thats doing my head in/ its like when you choke on food going down the wrong way but I'm not actually eating anything and theres no phlegm either :/ its weird

LisaLisa
21-04-09, 16:45
do you ever actually physically start choking on your own breath though? this is the bit thats doing my head in/ its like when you choke on food going down the wrong way but I'm not actually eating anything and theres no phlegm either :/ its weird

Hi Ribbonsbows

Just to say that my dr told me that having a feeling like something stuck at the back of your throat and especially if you have a burning chest pain or refluxy type stomach pain could be caused by acid reflux and that some folks get it so that it makes them cough especially when lying down at night, Maybe thats what you have?

Lisa
xx

countrygirl
21-04-09, 16:58
My husband and I have been choking on our breath for years!! I also get it if I turn my head whilst talking - as I have had this for at least last 15 yrs that I can remember I assume its just me.

I hate the choking on nothing and it can be scary as you can't get your breath - I find it worse if my neck muscles are tense???

RibbonBows
21-04-09, 17:28
My husband and I have been choking on our breath for years!! I also get it if I turn my head whilst talking - as I have had this for at least last 15 yrs that I can remember I assume its just me.

I hate the choking on nothing and it can be scary as you can't get your breath - I find it worse if my neck muscles are tense???

yeah this is it! choking on nothing! I've also done this for ages when I think about it - and so has my mam and my grandma- but they're usually a lot rarer than every night. I suppose its just something youre either prone to or youre not and the tickle I have is just exacerbating it...
thanks everyone
x

lauren6
21-04-09, 17:38
Ribbon, yes I have. It can be the tiniest bit of saliva going down the wrong pipe that we're not even aware of.

annpennylane
23-05-11, 15:32
hi I seem to see loads of people with my problem I have had it for 8 weeks and it is driving me mad I have had no sleep I get a tickle in my throat spasmodically and it leads to my eyes pouring down my face and coughing and gagging has anyone managed to get a proper diagnosis as I have taken everything on the market that I can please help