PDA

View Full Version : Heavy feeling in limbs - anxiety?

enigmatique
21-04-09, 16:36
Hi guys, just wondering whether anyone has ever experienced this as a result of anxiety or whether it might be connected to my more 'real' health problems.

Basically I feel a lot of the time like my arms and legs have lead weights attached to them. I feel clumsy and weak, so for instance with my hands I might feel like my grip isn't as strong, or with my legs I might feel when I'm walking that my legs might simply give way. If I'm just sitting still the heaviness makes it feel like I might not be able to move my arm or whatever if I try, though I always can. Sometimes even my neck feels weak so I don't want to hold my head up, or my chest so that breathing is an effort. And when I do any kind of exercise, even just a gentle walk, I get REALLY shaky for hours afterwards :wacko:

I had a possible chest infection a couple of weeks ago so it might be a touch of fatigue from that, but I've never had anything like it before after being ill, which is what made me wonder whether it was anxiety.

Thanks x

mave
21-04-09, 16:44
Hi there, I get this all the time in my legs so you are not alone. When I first got it I thought I had M.E. but the Dr. assured me it is just anxiety. I hope this helps.

kestral
21-04-09, 16:48
Hi guys, just wondering whether anyone has ever experienced this as a result of anxiety or whether it might be connected to my more 'real' health problems.

Basically I feel a lot of the time like my arms and legs have lead weights attached to them. I feel clumsy and weak, so for instance with my hands I might feel like my grip isn't as strong, or with my legs I might feel when I'm walking that my legs might simply give way. If I'm just sitting still the heaviness makes it feel like I might not be able to move my arm or whatever if I try, though I always can. Sometimes even my neck feels weak so I don't want to hold my head up, or my chest so that breathing is an effort. And when I do any kind of exercise, even just a gentle walk, I get REALLY shaky for hours afterwards :wacko:

I had a possible chest infection a couple of weeks ago so it might be a touch of fatigue from that, but I've never had anything like it before after being ill, which is what made me wonder whether it was anxiety.

Thanks x

hi,
are you on any medication?

enigmatique
21-04-09, 17:32
Thanks mave for the reassurance, it's very odd what anxiety can do. I think I'll still mention it to my GP the next time I'm there if it hasn't gone, but I don't think I need to make an appointment just for this. Since I'm being investigated for abdo problems it probably won't be too long before I need to make another appointment anyway!

kestral - I'm not on any medication at the moment - I was on amoxicillin and a short course of oral steroids but I finished both at the beginning of last week. I have some beta blockers but I'm reluctant to use them because since my chest infection my asthma has been a bit bad.

kestral
21-04-09, 17:46
im on beta blockers and i have no energy and aches. when i told the doc he said "make the most of the good days and put up with the rest ". i wondered if this could be causing you the same problems.

vickykelly
28-04-09, 11:04
i have exactly the same, and think i have ME to, is it just anxiety?

enigmatique
29-04-09, 23:00
Well I think in my case it might have a different cause - last Thursday my GP rang me up and said my test had come back positive for a UTI, I went on antibiotics and the heavy feeling disappeared practically overnight! It's come back a bit today and I think it's cos I didn't sleep well last night, so I reckon if your anxiety is making you have little or bad sleep, then it could be the cause.

reddevil
29-04-09, 23:58
I suffer with this from time to time and mine was anxiety, went when I did not focus on it.

Red

madelaine
30-04-09, 01:01
anxiety n lack of sleep tension are all triggers of heavy limbs ul b fine go to ur gp if ur really concerne good luck