PDA

View Full Version : Endoscopy fears

bepanini
17-08-05, 16:10
MY Mum has been told she needs an endoscopy (oral and anal) and will be in hospital for 3 or 4 days and that it will be done with a 'twilighter' sedative.

The problem is that she is terrified and won't go in unless she can have a general - does anybody know if this is possible and what it would involve?

Thanks

helen__w
17-08-05, 16:31
Hi

I am going for an endoscopy next Wednesday and the doctor told me that I would be having the sedative - he explained that it would make me really drowsy and I wont really notice what is going on. Maybe if your mum is really concerned she could ask if she could have a general - especially as she is already spending 3 -4 days in the hospital

Helen x

Meg
17-08-05, 19:26
Its unusual to be going in for that length of time unless they're running other tests too

There are a variety of sedatives that she can have that will really help her without actually having a general anaethetic.

The department involved are all really use dto having people coming in saying exactly this so they have solutions to these worries.

I strongly suggest that one of you rings the depertment within the hospital and asks about it before she goes in to ease her concern and to ensure the best use of the facilities and time.
If she does need a general she'll need anaethetic cover etc which will not be lined up currently.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Heebyjeebies
22-08-05, 14:01
Hi. I had an endoscopy a few weeks ago and I got alot of advice from my friends on this site too. I was really frightened about having it without a general and this was causing my stomach problems to feel even worse. I asked for a general and had one with no problems atall. My G.P said she would have written a back up letter to the consultant if I'd been turned down for a general, to explain about my anxiety disorder but this wasnt needed. I didnt know anything about it and was only under about half an hour, if that. The proceedure itself only takes about 10 or 15mins. I felt fine straight away afterwards and left hospital a couple of hours later. Get back to me if you need to know anything else. Don't worry x

Meg
22-08-05, 14:39
Endoscopy with a general (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4545)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Martin
23-08-05, 13:09
I had those tests done in january without any sedative. I must say it wasn't pleasant, but it was bearable for the short duration it actually took. About 10-15 minutes each, the most horrible thing was not eating anything but toast for 24 hours prior to one of them.

-Martin

------------------------------
I'm not insane.. really