PDA

View Full Version : anti-depressants

chocoholic
21-04-09, 21:16
hi all
just want some advice
basic story is had health anxiety for 8 months better than i was when i started but seem to be yo-yo ing like mad. either really good or really bad.
doctors think only answer is anti d's, (suggested citalopram) but im not sure. always been anxious but never as bad as of late.
any advice?
choco x

seeker
21-04-09, 21:25
I took antidepressants (Fluoxetine) for anxiety, particularly health anxiety and related depression and they really helped me. I was much better within 6 weeks and am pretty much normal now, and am off them after 6 months on them. My friend took citalopram for aniety, and is still on a very low dose - she has also found them very helpful.

if you had diabetes, you'd take insulin - I view it in a similar way if it has reache a point where it is affecting your life. you'll wait a long time for CBT, so I think it may be worthwhile if waiting for that sort of help.

nomorepanic
21-04-09, 21:28
Have a read of the First Steps and the medication pages on the website over on the left

chocoholic
21-04-09, 21:33
seeker - thanks, funnily enough i am having cbt at the moment and while i can sit there and fully understand whats happening to me it doesnt feel like its helping me.

nicola - thanks will check them out, have been on fluoxetine in the past (ten years ago when my mum died) but not convinced that they are the answer this time.

choco x

joyce1980
22-04-09, 05:26
Meds work, I took them for 8 years and had a normal life, i came off for 6 months to see and had a break down

Im back on them and what do you know, all better after about 4 weeks.

nothing in my life has caused the ocd and anx that i suffer, it really seems to be a brain fault ( best way to describe it)

The extra serotonin helps me think correctly

Give them a go you only get one life.

All the best