PDA

View Full Version : Changing from Citalopram to Mirtazapine?

tigeranx
21-04-09, 23:29
Hiya all :shades:

I have just found this website after a few searches on google regarding changing my medication and wow, what a massive site. I will enjoy reading through this and hopefully finding and sharing some ideas and advice:hugs:

Anyway, sorry drifting off point. I will give you abit of background so it will help you guys/gals give me the best possible advice.

I had taken Efexor for about 8 years eventually going up as high as 225mg daily but then for various reasons I changed medication to Citalopram (40mg daily) about 7 months ago. After going back to my GP lastweek and discussing my current health, we decided it would be a good idea to try a different medication. This time I was handed a months worth of Mirtazapine (15mg daily) and was told to come back and let them know how it was going:scared15:

So baring this in mind I would be really really grateful if some kind person here could answer me a couple of questions I have before swapping over -

1 - I had alot of trouble changing from Efexor to Citalopram, shivers etc and I had to "wean" myself off Efexor before taking Citalopram. My GP said I dont need to do this when swapping from Citalopram to Mirtazapine. I know this is true as I am sure she wouldnt say it but just wanted to know if I should expect any adverse effects?

2 - I am a very anxious person and suffer frequent vomiting episodes which are terrible (CVS incase your interested). Does changing from 40mg daily of Citalopram to 15mg of Mirtazapine sound about right? The GP said that she cannot equal the doseage of the Citalopram, it doesnt work like that!

I arent doubting the GP (it was the first time i my life I have ever seen them) but just wanted to confirm I am not going down the wrong road by getting a few opinions.

Sorry for the long post but the more information and all of that!

Thanks in advance for any help offered!:winks:

suzy-sue
22-04-09, 00:15
You can switch from cit to mirtazapine .Mirtazapine is a different type of A/D Being an SNRI.And is recommended when citalopram fails to work.It doesnt have to be tapered off to switch unlike switching from one ssri to another. I was on mirtazapine before cit,but i had to have a break before i switched,so dont know whether it works the same way the other way around.You may feel side effects from the Mirtazapine but mine wernt bad untilthe 3rd week,so the cit will be out of your system by then.Unfortunately Mirtazapine wasnt for me ,but it is effective for many. All the best SUE

tigeranx
22-04-09, 12:04
Thanks suzy-sue:flowers:

Sorry to hear Mirtazapine wasnt too great for you but like you say, different for everyone so I will cross my fingers.

Its the change over period I am really concerned with. You mentioned that you had a break when switching between Mirtazapine and Citalopram. I wonder why I dont have to have one the other way round?

Maybe I should go back to my GP and discuss my concerns before starting to take them.

Thanks again suzy-sue

suzy-sue
22-04-09, 15:16
Hi Tiger,I honestly thinkI was made to come off the mirtazapine first as I had a really bad time on them,if I had gone on the citalopram still feeling like this I would have had side effects from them to deal with as well.The side effects on the cit started after 3 days for me and lasted for 3-4 weeks.Taking Mirtazapine after cit is meant to lessen the withdrawals off the cit,but i expect like every thing it can be different for everyone. I think the highest dose on Mirtazapine is 45mg but the Dr is starting you off on the lowest dose to avoid bad side effects and to see how you are on them.All the best Sue

tigeranx
24-04-09, 13:03
Thanks again Sue your a star. I havent had chance to make an appointment with my GP again yet and I am running low on the Citalopram so maybe I will just trust my original GP and change over. I am guessing if there was going to be any problems someone would have posted that by now:shades:

I totally understand now why you were "made" to wait between changing as oppose to me. My reason for change is not the same as yours as I arent having really bad side effects (well one, excess sweating) but it isnt causing me pain as such (only emotional) so i am sure now that I will be able to swap over fine.

Like I said, sorry you didnt do well on the Mirtazapine and thankyou very much for your help:flowers:

Lee

nickprince
02-01-10, 18:13
yohoo, I am on 45 mirtazapine and 40 citalopram taken together, it makes me feel like I an wearing a tight hat, today, this morning I only took 20 mg citalopram and the tight hat syndrome is less noticeable

KK77
02-01-10, 19:39
yohoo, I am on 45 mirtazapine and 40 citalopram taken together, it makes me feel like I an wearing a tight hat, today, this morning I only took 20 mg citalopram and the tight hat syndrome is less noticeable

Well, at least it's giving you a good sense of humour... Never heard of tight hat syndrome...?

suzy-sue
02-01-10, 23:00
:roflmao: Nice one ..Are you gradually stopping the citalopram eventually ? Sue x