PDA

View Full Version : new to the forum

thethinman
22-04-09, 09:49
Hello all

I am new to this but looking for a bit of advice. I have been suffering from GAD since last summer (9 months ish). It came on pretty suddenly whilst i had a bad virus of some kind and became very anxious about my health (i have a past history of Chronic Fatigue and my Dad is also very ill with this). Looking back there were other signs - dizziness, a lot of headaches - but it was a stressful period (a baby who didn't sleep, house moving, money worries). I was put on Citalopram which had no discernible effect and have also had CBT which seemed to be working well tho i am now having another bad patch. I am fairly loathe to get more involved with medication but feel i do need something to help get me out of a whole but my GP says citalopram is the best thing and there isn't really anything else. She wil not prescribe Buspar. I have asked to be refferred on which i think means a psychiatrist. I had been optimistic that this would be short term but am now much less hopeful. Any advice or similar experiences appreciated.

Apologies to be so long winded, and also if i am posting in the wrong place.

nanny
22-04-09, 10:38
Hi there
Welcome to NMP

I was given the same tabs as you and took them for 10 years, they helped with my panic attacks but they didn't help with my severe anxiety.

Can't be much help to you really but i'm sure you will get lots of replies should anyone be able to help which they do in lots of cases.
In the meantime as i said above:welcome: :)

thethinman
22-04-09, 10:39
Thanks for the welcome Nanny. Yes. hopefuly people will have some thoughts.

kittykat
22-04-09, 11:04
Hi there and :welcome: to the site, lots of good advice and support here,loads of people will be able to give you help, and the chatroom is very good as well, take care xx

Southern_Belle
22-04-09, 14:38
Hi,

Welcome to NMP. If you are referred to a psychiatrist they can prescribe you meds and perhaps will have more of an open mind than your GP. At least over here than can, maybe not over there, not sure. If they can't prescribe meds, I would suggest CBT counseling or going to a psychologist to talk to. You will find that many here will understand how you are feeling and you will get their support. I'm glad you found us.

Take care,

Laura

duskess
22-04-09, 17:52
Hello , Welcome to NMP ,Glad you found the Forum , you will get lots of advice and support here , being referred to a psychiatrist can help , you can explain about your medication and the psychiatrist can change your medication if it will help you , remember your having a very stressful time at the moment and i do hope things become abit easier for you best wishes , take care Dusky x:welcome:

alias_kev
27-04-09, 10:20
Hey "thinman". Glad to have you aboard. many GPs seem very uninformed on meds and either follow NICE/PCT guidelines or pick at random. Sorry very cynical about them. Mine is a bit more pliant and I've been trying Buspar/Buspirone for nearly a month. Its actually a real anti anxiety med whereas most (all?) SSRI are predominantly anti-depressants in their effects. I think the other issue is that GPs have been told that depression causes anxiety, and not that anxiety (like any chronic condition) can cause depression. After all living in fear is a bit depressing and stressful!

I've got a few threads about my switch to Buspirone if you search. Curiously it is listed by the NHS patient.co.uk data as a treatment for generalised anxiety (GAD) so the GP should be willing and its generic since 2001 so the PCT should not worry about cost either. So I do not see why they would not at least try it. On the other hand I had to explain to my GP (for the second time) what GAD was and why I thought I had it!

Good luck.

lorac
27-04-09, 11:25
Hi

Welcome to the site I think you will get lots of good advice and support on here.

Take care

Carol