PDA

View Full Version : Swollen Neck Glands - Should I Worry??

BKF1515
22-04-09, 11:04
I've had swollen neck glands, particularly the left side, for about a month. Maybe longer, but that's when I first noticed it. I had pneumonia three months ago but have not had any cold, flu or congestion since. Should I be worried? Is it possible to have a swollen gland and nothing wrong at all? I'm going crazy thinking that I might have a hidden serious illness.

BKF1515
22-04-09, 13:11
I know I shouldn't have but I just googled it and some symptoms diagnostic test told me I have a thyroid nodule or goiter. I have no idea what those are but of course now I am more nervous.

bex1970
22-04-09, 15:36
Hi there - think that glands can stay up for some time and some never go back to normal.... where abouts is the swollen gland - you say left side but where, near the base of your throat or near the head. How big are they, is there more than one? My left side glands are bigger than right and I have one that has never gone down.... apparently this is not uncommon. Does it feel hard, does it move? Or is it big but soft etc. The fact that you've had pneumonia will have something to do with it....
xx

Mondie
22-04-09, 16:03
My gland on my right side always come up when I've been poorly or are run down; I'm sure it's because you've had pneumonia.

BKF1515
22-04-09, 16:11
Bex, the swollen gland seems to be one, under the jaw, on the left side up from my adam's apple. It feels like it is the size of a big almond, a bit hard (well, harder than normal) and I can move it around a little. When I press on both sides there seems to be some connection with the pressure in my ears. My mom told me not to worry because I have just been travelling and it could be due to flying, etc. or just being tired. When should I go to my GP? I feel like I am in there already at least once a month....

phil06
22-04-09, 16:15
I knew nothing about this until posts started cropping up and I noticed I had them.

I went to the doctor and she says it's glands and not to worry, it's still not away to I have to go back and get blood tests so check it's all ok. I'm extremely anxious and worried and thinking the worst. It's even brought on me feeling bad and depressed more.

I posted a picture here:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=48001

I'm not sure if it's glands, fat lumps or something else but I end up thinking the worst.

bex1970
22-04-09, 16:23
Well, under your jaw above the adams apple would probably rule out a thyroid thing as that would be under your adams apple and at the base of the throat....

If it moves around a bit that's a good thing....it is more than likely related to your throat - and if you have been flying then you could well be fighting off a potential throat infection.

It's up to you about your GP - if you can cope with waiting, I would give it a week or so to see if it goes down and try not to fiddle with it.... glands can get big when they are fighting something. I had one that came up just on the left side under my jaw/ear - it was HUGE - visible to they eye.... I WAS SO WORRIED about it... turns out I had tonsillitis but the gland came up first!

If you are worried book in to see him/her now.... but I don't think you need to panic at all - you have had pneumonia and been travelling - all of which would def be contributing factors.

xx