PDA

View Full Version : Bad Day

Orion510
30-12-03, 03:22
I have recently started to live my life again. After years of Anxiety and a few relapses, I am going forward.

One thing that I couldn't do because of my anxiety was martial arts. A few years ago I started, but had to quit after only about a year. That was about three years ago. About 3 months ago I started doing karate again. It has been going well, until tonight. In the middle of a really hard test, a lot of push ups, jumpingjacks, etc., I started to feel lightheaded and almost passed out.

After that my anxiety went up. The feelings of dizzyness and panic subsided but then I started to wonder whether or not my anxiety was going to come back. One of the reasons I quit martial arts last time was because I almost passed out.

Should I stick with it? What are some ways I can get through this?

rick
30-12-03, 03:54
Hi

Boy, I know that feeling, getting whomped out of the blue with an attack. I've sort of been going thru the same stuff - not karate (Us ol' hillbillies just carry ball bats and tire tools:)), but doing relatively normal stuff and getting hit with anxiety. I know how it just takes a second for things to get out of control. I hadn't had an attack since the mid 1980's, and a week ago, they started again. (See the constant panic forum directly below yours for all the scary details, not to mention meet the great folks on this site).

I'm not one to really give advice - but, since you asked...

Give it another shot or two. Try to prepare yourself for the possible appearance of an attack at your next class, review the breathing and other techniques listed throughout this site, and go for it. It can be scary, I know. I'm a 49 year old man, and was getting the heck whipped out of me for a while tonight.

Another thought, which perhaps our wonderful pal Meg (Radar) may elaborate on. Could it be possible that with this heavy exertion your body has sensed a lack of a vitamin or nutrient, or something? (help me here, Meg).

Perhaps that is another way to combat the attacks if they surface during exercise.

Anyway, hang in there, and don't give up.

Rick

diana
30-12-03, 07:50
Hiya Orion510,

Yes!!!! you certainly should stick with the martial arts. Never stop doing or avoiding things because of anxiety/panic. This will only give the symptoms more power. Of course it is going to be hard, but you have had this before and came through it. You are a survivor, just keep up your breathing exercises and think positive thoughts, and always remember you are not alone. We are here for you. We all will beat this thing together, I know we will. Keep posting friend to let us know how you are getting along. Take care in the meantime, and don`t beat yourself up over this, we all go through it.

Diana xoxoxo

Meg
30-12-03, 14:18
Ho Orion,

Here is a copy of another of our members Gaza448 who had panics when boxing and the net result at last time of posting..

'hello all I thought I'd just write a update on how i'm doing if any of you remember the post i wrote a few weeks ago i was the pro-boxer who suffered panic attacks while sparring in preparation for my fights and had been for a long while anyway after the advice i got on this site i bought 3 things a book on the subconcious mind, a hypnotic tape on panic attacks and a hypnotic tape on positive thinking and am pleased too say i have been sparring three or four times a week for the past two weeks and have not suffered an attack the first two times sparring i was a bit nervous and it took great control of my thoughts(being positive) but I managed it and the past four or five hard sparring sessions i have been concentrating on improving my boxing rather than having a panic attack and got my confidence back so thank you all for the advice i will continue to do my best (that last fight i had was a blessing in disguise it made me address the problem instead of ignoring it)
Gary'

I'm sure if you emailed him he would be only too pleased to share and help.. Search facility up top and just scroll down the members bit till you find his name.

Definately keep doing your martial arts - avoiding things only makes life more difficult. Perhaps explain to the session leader what is going on with you so he can be extra vigilant and understanding.

Also, you nearly passed out .. If I had a £ for every time I nearly passed out I'd be doing very well. The fact is you didn't then and haven't since and I never did either ...

It may be worth looking at your nutrition and intake prior to your activities , you could review the hypoglycaemia threads on here using the search facility .

I'm a firm believer that anyone with anxiety issues should take a Vit B complex supplement. It's the vitamin that holds togeher the nervous system and if it's under stress and pressure you need more of it.

Good luck , keep us updated.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

nomorepanic
30-12-03, 20:22
Hi Orion

It could have just been that you were tired or had not eaten recently so you felt a little dizzy. Please don't let it stop you doing anything as that is how we end up avoiding things in life.

I hope you are feeling a bit better now.

Nicola

Orion510
31-12-03, 04:34
Thanks to everyone who gave me advice...

Update...
I went to my karate class tonight. I was having a bit of anxiety before the class, but I went in. I have decided to keep doing martial arts.

diana
31-12-03, 06:08
Good for you Orion. Don`t you stop your class. You will regret it later if you do. The anxiety will pass you`ll see. If you need to talk to someone or just vent how you are feeling, pop on someone is always here. You are not alone in this, we have all been there, you will survive, because you like the rest of us are living with this and learning slowly "BUT SURELY" how to beat this thing. Take care mate. Keep us posted.

Diana