PDA

View Full Version : waiting a month for results????

Shelly80
22-04-09, 22:43
So I just got back from the doctor, I had an echo and stress EKG done. I don't know about other people's experiences, but the lady that did the testing was like a zombie, didn't make any small talk, didn't even barely crack a smile from the beginning to end. So I wasn't able to even get a "vibe" on how the tests were going.

And to top it off, I have to wait a MONTH to get the results. I called my dad, he said that was horrible to make me wait so long, he never heard of such a thing.

So.....shall I assume that since they are making me wait so long that the results must not be too life threatening?? I tried telling them that waiting for a month could very well drive me insane. She said that was the soonest they could get me in and when I called back again, she said that if there was a problem I would hear from them within the next day or so. Ugh. How frustrating. Anyone else had this happen??

Shelly :shrug:

CJH86
22-04-09, 23:03
When i had my echo done the sonographer told me straight away there was something wrong although she gave no indication there was anyhting the whole way through:shrug:

My problem was only a small hole in my heart, which turned out to be pretty medically insignificant anyway. In a similar way to not actually knowing the results of the echo - i freaked out as wasnt sure whether the problem was serious or not, and this was for 6 weeks while i waited for a cardiology referral:scared15:. In the scheme of things i would have rather not known at all....i dont think the health services cater for people with health anxiety very well!!!!

lauren6
22-04-09, 23:29
Shelly, did you have the stress echo because you are having a symptom of some kind? Depending on your age, they don't routinely do an echo unless there's a good reason.

You live in the states like myself. I have had several and there is a cardiologist present throughout the whole thing. Was there no doctor in the room? They usually tell you the results right then and there. Since they did not, you can bet you're fine. They would have to tell you if something was wrong! Not so with other tests that have to be read in a couple of days but I am a little confused because the cardiologist has always been present with anyone I know and tells the person on the spot.

A month is excessive and ridiculous....is this a small town or large city? Did they tell you WHY a month? Your Dad is right, I never heard of such a thing either. Let me know some details and maybe I can tell you how to get around this wait. Even someone without health anxiety would not handle this well. Tops should be 2-3 days for ANY test unless it's a culture that takes time.

Shelly80
23-04-09, 00:10
Shelly, did you have the stress echo because you are having a symptom of some kind? Depending on your age, they don't routinely do an echo unless there's a good reason.

You live in the states like myself. I have had several and there is a cardiologist present throughout the whole thing. Was there no doctor in the room? They usually tell you the results right then and there. Since they did not, you can bet you're fine. They would have to tell you if something was wrong! Not so with other tests that have to be read in a couple of days but I am a little confused because the cardiologist has always been present with anyone I know and tells the person on the spot.

A month is excessive and ridiculous....is this a small town or large city? Did they tell you WHY a month? Your Dad is right, I never heard of such a thing either. Let me know some details and maybe I can tell you how to get around this wait. Even someone without health anxiety would not handle this well. Tops should be 2-3 days for ANY test unless it's a culture that takes time.

Hi there,

Thanks for responding! I live in a pretty large city in CA. I was referred to the cardiologist because I have PVC's and some chest tightness. My regular doctor feels that it is anxiety related, but sent me to the cardiologist to reassure me that everything was working fine because I've been to him so many times about my heart in the last few months.

Anyhow, the person that did the tests was either a tech or nurse. The cardiologist wasn't in the room and they said that I was to wait for him to interperet the results, hence the month wait.

I am very frustrated that they are making me wait, though I would hope that the tech would have asked me to stay if something abnormal showed or dangerous showed up.

Also, when my regular doctor last did an EKG it came back abnormal, he says because the lead wasn't attached right. I got very panicked and that is what prompted him to send me to the cardio, to prove to me that my heart was fine. Thank goodness my insurance covers these tests if a doctor requests them. (also, they said May 20th was the earliest appointment they had available, they are very busy supposedly. The gal at the desk said that if I don't hear from them in a few days to come in sooner, things are probably fine)

Shelly

madelaine
23-04-09, 00:29
yhey shoodve gave ur results straight away the do in scotland no news is good news hope u get them soon n rest easy n enjoy life ;-]

lauren6
23-04-09, 00:39
Shelly, yes...they would contact you in a few days. They all want to avoid lawsuits and there is no way they'd wait longer and if something happened to a patient in the interim, they could be in hot water. So no news is good news, I'm pretty sure...if by Monday you haven't heard anything, I wouldn't worry...but knowing myself, maybe I'd call and just if it has been looked at yet. I never like to be a nuisance but sometimes I find myself having to be more assertive for my sanity! I went to a doctor on a Wednesday last month, blood in my urine and had to wait a week because of a culture. I went as far as calling the lab without giving my name and they reassured me that the test can take 5 days to process. I was convinced that I had bladder cancer and went a little crazy. My house was never so clean...that's all I did to distract myself. One of the most anxious weeks of my life and when I was told there was nothing found (well, something on scan but harmless that can cause blood) I was in disbelief.

My friend told me after this she wants me to forever stop thinking like this and that this should have taught me a lesson. She asked me to promise her I will never do this to myself again. Easier said than done but maybe it helped a little. It's just so darn unproductive to panic and when I see other people handle it without obsessing, I still believe I can get to that place someday.

Shelly80
23-04-09, 00:50
Shelly, yes...they would contact you in a few days. They all want to avoid lawsuits and there is no way they'd wait longer and if something happened to a patient in the interim, they could be in hot water. So no news is good news, I'm pretty sure...if by Monday you haven't heard anything, I wouldn't worry...but knowing myself, maybe I'd call and just if it has been looked at yet. I never like to be a nuisance but sometimes I find myself having to be more assertive for my sanity! I went to a doctor on a Wednesday last month, blood in my urine and had to wait a week because of a culture. I went as far as calling the lab without giving my name and they reassured me that the test can take 5 days to process. I was convinced that I had bladder cancer and went a little crazy. My house was never so clean...that's all I did to distract myself. One of the most anxious weeks of my life and when I was told there was nothing found (well, something on scan but harmless that can cause blood) I was in disbelief.

My friend told me after this she wants me to forever stop thinking like this and that this should have taught me a lesson. She asked me to promise her I will never do this to myself again. Easier said than done but maybe it helped a little. It's just so darn unproductive to panic and when I see other people handle it without obsessing, I still believe I can get to that place someday.

Thats so funny, I promised my best friend that after the heart tests were done, that I would forever let it go. I told myself that all I needed was that last bit of reassurance to make me stop obsessing about my heart!!

That does make me feel better, knowing that they would have to call me at least by Monday if there was something concerning on the tests. It all felt impersonal, but its a huge Cardiology center with a very sought after head cardiologist. So I guess its just the way they do it there.

Thanks for the reply, it really helps to hear what others have gone through and that if it were something bad, they would have said something!!!!

Shelly