View Full Version : breathlessness- vitamin B12 deficiancy

liz24x
23-04-09, 20:08
I have just found out i am low on B12 (119 should be 200-900) and iron 8.8
Does this cause breathlessness???
xxx

Wee-Mee
23-04-09, 20:13
Hi there..I came in this thread cos my dad is actually low on vitamin B12 and has to get a jag every 3 months and he is breathless but he has chest probs anyways so I dunno.

I don't think it would though..he has numb,cold legs and feet and that is what the doc said was part of the low B12..it's most likely to just cause tiredness etc though.

When did the breathlessness start and when did you find out you were low?

xxxxxxx

amandaj
23-04-09, 20:16
hi i do get the jab every 3 months for this, and i had a blood test yesterday as it has to be checked every 6 months ,so im waiting the results ive had mine years now ,it can cause weight loss tiredness dr has never mentioned that my breathlessness is caused by it though , thats prob the anxiety

mick_uk
23-04-09, 20:17
Hiya Liz,
Sure does make you breathless. I've had pernicious anaemia for a few years now and I get three monthly B12 injections, but i still get breathless with it.
Not all the time, but it does happen.

take care

mick

amandaj
23-04-09, 20:19
i have vb12 deficieny but i dont have aneamia so im not sure could be like mick said but as i said my dr has never said its anything to do with mine and im always there regarding breathlessness

amandaj
23-04-09, 20:28
forgot to sy i also take folic acid daily has dr said you need tabs or injections?

mick_uk
23-04-09, 20:31
I guess the breathlessness with the aneamia is pretty much the same as when you are anxious. I only found out about it when i went to the pernicous aneamia website and read about it after i disgnosed. i assumed the breathless was anxiety,but it turned out it wasnt at the time.

mummyto4
23-04-09, 20:32
Hi, I suffer with iron deficiency aneamia and it can cause me to be breathless.

amandaj
23-04-09, 20:39
-just wondering now if my breathlessness coul be due to this as i alway feel rubbish when my injection is nearly due and it is next week intersting im going to ask dr now

mick_uk
23-04-09, 20:45
I can always tell when my injection is due. I don't need to see the calendar, I just feel breathless and have a lack of energy. A day or so after the injection I start to feel better again. I also take a B12 supplement under the tongue a week before the jab is due just to keep going.

amandaj
24-04-09, 09:48
i know when its due cos i feel worse but never thought i feel more breathless towards end of it prob why i am so brethless now s well as cold i got

liz24x
24-04-09, 19:43
i really think it is caused by it, because i wasnt feeling anxious and i kept telling the dr this,I also think it causes my ectopic heartbeats!

scooby28
26-04-09, 08:55
I have a b12 deficency and when i had it bad when i was first told i had it i used to get very breathless i could barely walk across my room at one point with out feeling totally knackered

helen_1
26-04-09, 10:10
yes it does i have to have jabs every 3 months and before i was diognosed with it i was very breathless . i get breathless and very tired just before my jab is due

xfilme
30-04-09, 15:05
I suffer from iron deficiency and mine was 220... gave me all kinds of crazy symptoms. Its causing me chest probs at the mo due to a low immune system x

chocoholic
30-04-09, 20:33
hi all
im interested in this post as i have low folate levels in my blood test. i had to take folic acid for a month and levels now higher. this isnt the same as b12 though apparently.
anyone know anything about this?
choco x

Sleepless999
30-04-09, 20:44
Hi Liz - You may be low in vitamin B12, but your haemoglobin is also too low - should be around 12 - I think you'll find that taking an iron supplement for a few weeks will take away the breathlessness - this happened to me and it improved quite quickly. May also be worth checking your serum ferritin levels (iron stores) because if you've been anaemic for a while, your stores will have dropped and they need topping up as well - this takes longer. I discovered that my ferritin was 17 when it should be at least 70! If you have heavy periods, this may be the reason and they need addressing. Good Luck! Skippy.

xfilme
30-04-09, 21:06
Hi Liz - You may be low in vitamin B12, but your haemoglobin is also too low - should be around 12 - I think you'll find that taking an iron supplement for a few weeks will take away the breathlessness - this happened to me and it improved quite quickly. May also be worth checking your serum ferritin levels (iron stores) because if you've been anaemic for a while, your stores will have dropped and they need topping up as well - this takes longer. I discovered that my ferritin was 17 when it should be at least 70! If you have heavy periods, this may be the reason and they need addressing. Good Luck! Skippy.

I agree... my serum ferritin was just 22 but was showing a lot of symptoms... I was given iron tablets for a month.