PDA

View Full Version : PVC's and Anxiety

SocialTool
23-04-09, 21:06
OK. I have had anxiety since I was a child, but with medication, a great partner, and therapy I have overcome it. Every couple of years it crops up again (like most recently), but all in all I'm doing great lately. The past 3 or so days I have had some PVC's (Premature Ventricular Contractions). It feels like your heart stops and then beats hard again to "catch up". Now I have been told by my doctor that they are benign, and she listened to my heart, but with my past issues with hypochondria this has not been a pleasant experience. My fear is that I will lose control again and it will turn into a full blow panic attack. My mind says that the PVC will pass and that I am healthy (I'm 28), but they have been happening today and every time they occur, my stomach acid gets flowing, I get tense, my heart rate increases, and I just get a general sense of being scared. Now it is a few days before my period, and I have read that hormones can increase the instance of PVC's, but I just need some reassurance here. I had them really bad a few years back, but it was due to stress and overworking myself for a week straight. I just don't want to fall into that black hole of anxiety again.

House fan
23-04-09, 22:03
Hi Social

PVC's are in no way dangerous. They do not mean you have heart disease or will get heart disease in the future. They are normal cardiac activity, normal in the sense that half of us get them at some point in our lives.

They mean nothing, they are a nuisance, but completely harmless. Your heart will not stop because of them, and no-one has ever died of PVC's.

There is strong evidence to suggest that when your periods are due, PVC's are more likely to occur, although the reason for this can not be established. Excess acid and indigestion can also cause PVC's, but I can assure you that you have a healthy heart which is not about to let you down.

I know how distressing PVC's can be, and how this 'horrible' experience can frighten us into 'looking within', constantly waiting in dread for it to happen again. You probably walk around, with your finger hovering around your pulse to check your heart rate, your probably at the stage that your too scared to exert yourself too much in case you 'damage' your heart further. Does this sound familiar?

Please believe me when I say you have absolutely nothing to worry about! Even if your heart was 'missing beats' one in every three, it is still normal cardiac activity. You have been working yourself up over nothing, I promise you. Pay them little attention, they are not important to your health now or in the future.

I hope this helps a wee bit.

House.

SocialTool
24-04-09, 02:33
House. Wow. That response brought tears to my eyes. That was by far the most comforting thing I have read. It has calmed me down immensely. Thank you so much. I am still feeling a bit ill, but I know most of my ailments are due to my PMS. Thank you again! :yesyes:

purpleBerry
26-04-09, 00:49
I second the comment about a presence of tears! LOL

That's a great post House :)
Definitely a bookmark to look up when I freak out over pvc's :)