PDA

View Full Version : HA and alcohol

enigmatique
23-04-09, 21:51
I was just wondering how people find alcohol interacts with their HA. Personally I don't drink when I'm having anxiety problems as it just makes me worse, but when I'm well I drink a little, and enjoy it.

Lawton86
23-04-09, 21:57
Alchol really cures my anxiety. It makes me really brave and kinda not botherd about anything if that makes sense. So probably makes me more stupid. BUT i do relax sooo much with alchol! the next day is the killer tho. Anxiety has me crawling up the walls.

We all know anxiety cant harm us, and for 95% of people ive spoke too alchol really calms their anxiety for the night. aslong as you dont turn alcholic and just use it as a sedative when u really want to do things, special occasions etc etc and u dont get soo drunk u make an ass of yaself...i cant see their being any harm in wanting to enjoy a night-out with friends.

enigmatique
23-04-09, 21:59
I'm completely the opposite - I had bout half a glass of wine last night and was climbing the walls with anxiety, first time I've ever wondered if I was actually going mad :wacko:

nomorepanic
23-04-09, 22:00
I disagree Lawton - alcoholism comes about by those with anxiety that use it to get out and can't do things without it!

Bad idea to drink just so you can do things.

enigmatique
23-04-09, 22:04
One of my friends had vaginismus and her oh-so-helpful GP told her to have a couple of glasses of wine before trying to have sex and she'd be fine :doh: took her a fair bit of counselling to overcome THAT problem.

Lawton86
23-04-09, 22:06
yeh, my previous post didnt quite come across as what i meant. By doing things etc etc, i eman really speacial occasions like family wedding or seeing friends u havnt seen for a long time, like once every 2 months or somthing . If 2 glasses of wine make you feel brave enough to do it then why stay inside and not do it in them circumstances.

Also half a glass of wine may lift my anxiety levels too. but 3 glasses of wine and im relaxed and feel like i can enjoy a good night and be funny and not worry about that twitch i just felt or did my heart just miss a beat etc etc.

enigmatique
23-04-09, 22:08
I've never been a big drinker - I'm only tiny and it goes straight to my head! - so for me 3 glasses of wine is a big night out! No way I could drink that just to 'chill out'.

Lawton86
23-04-09, 22:15
hehe, think ive just got used to alchol abit too much. Probs bit of a binge drinking 22 year old before this anxiety problem kicked in. i can happily drink a bottle of wine to myself b4 i even head out on the night to start drinking.

But boy is my heart racing the next day!

tamo
23-04-09, 22:16
hi, Talking from experience ,using alcohol to feel normal led to me becoming a full blown alcoholic .i wont go into detail but my advice to you is to be careful with alcohol if using it to feel normal . Everyone is very different though ,what is ok for one might be the start of a nightmare for another .

Good luck

mummyto4
23-04-09, 22:33
I have used alcohol to help my HA on a night time. Its a quick fix though and doesn't help in the long run, in fact I felt worse as I have put weight on and feel bad about myself as well as the HA so I stopped and keep alcohol strictly to fri and sat nights only

SocialTool
24-04-09, 02:36
I cannot drink alcohol at all. I don't like anything that makes me feel "out of control". If I do have a glass of wine and i get a little buzzed, i actually get anxious.

always-ill
24-04-09, 18:53
This is an iteresting poll. I wasnt sure whether it meant do you feel better or worse whilst on alcohol, or the day after but I took it as the former and voted that I felt better. A drink in the evening really calms me down and enough will make me feel the most healthy and happiest I have ever felt :-) But afterwards, for up to two days after, my HA and depression goes through the roof. I am not an addict, I only drink 2 or maybe 3 times a week and reguarly have a rest from it altogether for a few weeks to clean my system, funnily enough, these are the times when I am at my best, but I would hate to cut out alcohol altogether and miss out on those real happy times!

enigmatique
25-04-09, 08:53
I hadn't thought about a difference between response to alcohol immediately vs next day because when I drink my anxiety shoots up immediately, so it didn't occur to me.